U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:48 AM

7,022 posts, read 5,772,668 times

Advertisements

Another unpleasant side effect of the Chinese invasion of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 AM

2,581 posts, read 1,382,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't really think anyone is stealing cats and dogs from backyards to eat. Pets go missing in a multitude of ways but I doubt THIS reason is even a blip. There are tons of them roaming around and being given away for free so it's not like it would be hard to get one and/or "grow you own".

I'm not even sure how big a problem this actually is.
Agreed. I would think that if you're going to engage in the business of selling dog and cat meat, it's be easier and safer to just "grow you own" than to run around stealing pets or importing them. Its not like they are hard to breed.

As to how much of a problem this is -- that depends on attitude. For some people, any consuming of dogs or cats is abhorrent, not matter how rarely it happens in the general population.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM

2,581 posts, read 1,382,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Another unpleasant side effect of the Chinese invasion of America.
Someday they will own us. Then McDonalds will be serving kitty burgers.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 PM

20,865 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I understand your point. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Jenny's emotional attachment to dogs shouldn't prevent me from eating a dog any more than Bill's emotional attachment to pigs should prevent me from eating a pig. Nor should it stop me from running a dog ranch, a dog slaughterhouse, and a dog meat store. I thought this was a free country.

If we're allowed to eat animals and to sell animals for food, we should be allowed to eat all animals and sell all animals for food.
How do you feel about the idea that the cats and dogs are deliberately and mercilessly tortured before they are killed and the pigs and cows are not before they are killed? You haven't addressed that part of the issue.

Also in other parts of the world, the supply of pigs and cows is scarce. People eat what they can. Dogs and cats breed pretty quickly and are cheap to maintain. But in this country, cow and pig meat is easily obtainable. It doesn't have to be purchased on the black market. In our culture we do not eat companion animals. We don't have to. If people want to relocate to another country they should respect the culture and customs of that country.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Someday they will own us. Then McDonalds will be serving kitty burgers.
Heard all of it back in the 80's about Japan.

There are even movies about the topic.

Turns out Japan ran into a wall....wait for China to do the same.

Production always flows to the next country with no regulation and an exploitable workforce.

China has major issues brewing...let them have some decades in the sun.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 PM

173 posts, read 114,448 times
As much as my cat is my child. As well as my previous cats and dogs were regarded the same when they were alive.

I am failing to see the problem with eating cats or dogs. It should be a legal practice if done ethically.

Is it health issue? I live in a large suburbia in the tri state. I can legally raise cute fluffy rabbits to feed my body building. They could all be pets. They could all be tasty

I am against the torture of the animals for better taste. Countless farming articles and even world class producers of meat all vouch that less stressed and happy animal is a tastier animal.

Last edited by Electric Wizard; 08-19-2015 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Re read op and saw that it is legal in some states. As it should be.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 PM

124 posts, read 68,981 times
It's kind of gross. In general, high level primates don't eat carnivores. Sometimes bears, but I've heard they taste bad, and it's kind of a last resort meat.

Given no other choice, I'd eat a carnivore, but we primarily eat herbivores for a reason. They taste better, they are a source of omega 3 acids if they are naturally fed, and so on.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,140,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv_desert View Post
It's kind of gross. In general, high level primates don't eat carnivores. Sometimes bears, but I've heard they taste bad, and it's kind of a last resort meat.

Given no other choice, I'd eat a carnivore, but we primarily eat herbivores for a reason. They taste better, they are a source of omega 3 acids if they are naturally fed, and so on.
Yeah, the Neanderthals knew all about omega 3 acids. Man started eating other animals because it was safer to hunt bunnies instead of animals that can also eat them.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:09 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,360,640 times
I want to open a BBQ joint and call it "PETA." People Eating Tasty Animals!

For that matter, WHY can't we eat people? Ghod knows there are way too many of them infesting the planet.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 AM

124 posts, read 68,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Yeah, the Neanderthals knew all about omega 3 acids. Man started eating other animals because it was safer to hunt bunnies instead of animals that can also eat them.
Please don't respond to my posts. I find you rather distasteful. Like bear meat. Perhaps if it was soaked in a nice merlot for a couple of days to take the gamey flavor out.

The Neanderthals are extinct, btw. Except on this website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or