U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2015, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,063 posts, read 1,740,875 times
Reputation: 1901

Advertisements

A group in California called No To Dog Meat is working hard to stop the underground dog and cat meat trade that exists in cities in the US. While most Americans consider it repulsive to eat dogs or cats many who come here from other countries do not . They also do eat dogs and cats in other countries and as awful as that sounds it gets worse some believe the meat is better if the animal is frightened first and put the cat or dog through horrible torture before they die. Some of these animals may even be stolen pets.The eating of cat or dog meat is actually legal in 44 states and the group is working to change the laws and close any loopholes. The group offers a petition to sign but I do not know for sure if it is only for California residents to not. I posted this to help raise awareness of the issue.

Group Works to Stop Dog and Cat Meat Trade in CA / Public News Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM
 
17,657 posts, read 15,016,330 times
Reputation: 33424
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
A group in California called No To Dog Meat is working hard to stop the underground dog and cat meat trade that exists in cities in the US. While most Americans consider it repulsive to eat dogs or cats many who come here from other countries do not . They also do eat dogs and cats in other countries and as awful as that sounds it gets worse some believe the meat is better if the animal is frightened first and put the cat or dog through horrible torture before they die. Some of these animals may even be stolen pets.The eating of cat or dog meat is actually legal in 44 states and the group is working to change the laws and close any loopholes. The group offers a petition to sign but I do not know for sure if it is only for California residents to not. I posted this to help raise awareness of the issue.

Group Works to Stop Dog and Cat Meat Trade in CA / Public News Service
I signed it anyway, as a NJ resident. I had read about the deliberate torture but had no idea this trade was going on in this country. It's awful, thank you for posting this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,063 posts, read 1,740,875 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I signed it anyway, as a NJ resident. I had read about the deliberate torture but had no idea this trade was going on in this country. It's awful, thank you for posting this.
Thank you for signing the petition. I should sign it too I just thought it was for Ca residents. Apparently there are legal loopholes in most Us states that make it illegal to kill a dog or cat as animal cruelty but not specifically illegal to klll them for food and eat them if not done in an inhumane manner, you just cannot legally sell it commercially but you can do it so that is the loophole that must be closed.


I feel shocked and repulsed by this issue but feel I must post about it to let people know.

Here is a list of laws by state in this article

http://saynotodogmeatevents.info/201...trade-exposed/

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-04-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,883,057 times
Reputation: 37352
I've long had this idea for a chain of restaurants that only serve horse and dog.

The name?

Hoof 'n' Woof, of course.

But my wife says I might want to reconsider my business model...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 11:44 AM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,793,427 times
Reputation: 4828
Seems to me the best way to stop this underground black market is to legalize it.

Why is it okay to eat a pig but not a cat or a dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,063 posts, read 1,740,875 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Seems to me the best way to stop this underground black market is to legalize it.

Why is it okay to eat a pig but not a cat or a dog?

Well because they are seen in this country as loving pets not food or livestock but aside from that strong emotional feeling I do not really think that the meat of a carnivore like a cat would even taste very good. I am however vegetarian anyway so I no longer eat meat of any kind anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 12:07 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,793,427 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Well because they are seen in this country as loving pets not food or livestock but aside from that strong emotional feeling I do not really think that the meat of a carnivore like a cat would even taste very good. I am however vegetarian anyway so I no longer eat meat of any kind anymore.
Why does somebody else's emotional attachment to her cat mean I can't eat a different cat?

People keep pigs - and apparently today even chickens - as pets and presumably have emotional attachments to them. Why then can I still eat pigs and chickens?

Last edited by hammertime33; 03-04-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,063 posts, read 1,740,875 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why does somebody else's emotional attachment to her cat mean I can't eat a different cat?

People keeps pigs - and apparently today even chickens - as pets and presumably have emotional attachments to them. Why then can I still eat pigs and chickens?

I do understand the point you are making and that is why there is an underground trade in dog and cat meat in the US because they are eaten in some foreign countries ( of course in my opinion people in some of these foreign countries will eat just about anything) . And when people from those countries come here they see nothing wrong with it. However here those born in the US have grown to think of these animals as under special loving protection because we welcome their species into our homes and treat them like members of our families .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 12:47 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,793,427 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do understand the point you are making and that is why there is an underground trade in dog and cat meat in the US because they are eaten in some foreign countries ( of course in my opinion people in some of these foreign countries will eat just about anything) . And when people from those countries come here they see nothing wrong with it. However here those born in the US have grown to think of these animals as under special loving protection because we welcome their species into our homes and treat them like members of our families .
I understand your point. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Jenny's emotional attachment to dogs shouldn't prevent me from eating a dog any more than Bill's emotional attachment to pigs should prevent me from eating a pig. Nor should it stop me from running a dog ranch, a dog slaughterhouse, and a dog meat store. I thought this was a free country.

If we're allowed to eat animals and to sell animals for food, we should be allowed to eat all animals and sell all animals for food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
13,181 posts, read 7,276,408 times
Reputation: 50317
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why does somebody else's emotional attachment to her cat mean I can't eat a different cat?

People keep pigs - and apparently today even chickens - as pets and presumably have emotional attachments to them. Why then can I still eat pigs and chickens?


Good point. I've had a pig and a chicken as pets at the same time. There's no way I could eat them but I still eat pork and chicken. What I can't condone is the inhumane torture of any living thing. I respect cultural differences when it come to cuisine and I think I may have eaten something that I did not recognize in Mexico once upon a time Just kill it in a humane way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top