Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Converting? I simply said that a line seems to have been blurred between adopting a child in need and seeing an attractive young man. but again, I'm certain they will make it a healthy parent-child relationship.

and I felt like talking about it.
Ah. But, you see, no other side is allowed to express their feelings in this current environment. those screaming for tolerance and inclusion and equal rights are the first ones in the room to start yelling when someone voices a different opinion.

The original premise of this thread is "leading" to say the least. It's a dangerous intro if an intelligent conversation is desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Converting? I simply said that a line seems to have been blurred between adopting a child in need and seeing an attractive young man. but again, I'm certain they will make it a healthy parent-child relationship.

and I felt like talking about it.
What line is that?

Question: if a single woman had adopted this handsome young man, would whatever this line is have been blurred as well?

How about if the young man hadn't been traditionally handsome (in either case)?

Another thought: maybe the young man has already self-identified as gay.

Would that, in your mind, make it more or less likely that he would have some sort of incestuous relationship with his parents?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Is this thread even real?
the thread shouldn't have been started. It's very presumptious. It's along the lines of a thread stating that the hispanic population has grown, and there could be more things that get stolen.

But I think what is even more interesting is the commentors, myself included, who aren't just ignoring the thread. Many of you are attacking the poster, who really didn't SAY anything, but just presumed something. He isn't allowed to say anything even possibly presumptious in this environment, without being attacked.

Not everyone agrees with us that gay couples should have the same rights. Let those people have their opinions, and for Christ sakes, don't make friends with them.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I didnt say I thought they were incapable I just wanted to discuss the reason for the post. People on here need to get real with this op. She or he is not saying anyting or thinking anything that a lot of other people would not be saying or thinking ( and not so nicely) they just would not post it so do not be rude to this person who shares that they feel uncomfortable and wants to talk about it. Insulting someone will not make the feeling go away but maybe an honest discussion will. I will give this gay couple the benefit of the doubt but since many in my family growing up were adopted ( including my own mother as a baby) I have normally thought of adoption as something for babies or very young children not teens and of course it is only in the last decade or so that gay rights gained prominence to the general public so it is all new and strange .

I guess what is also strange to me is to adopt a teen who is almost a grown man? How much time will they have with him before he leaves the house and goes out on his own? Yes it is strange to me ... I do not think the gay couple is incapable of doing something wrong and neither is a straight couple, I just hope for the best and the boy is old enough to protect himself and stand up for himself if there is something wrong going on. I do in general like the idea of gay couples adopting unwanted children.
You really should do some research on fostering/adopting teens.
There are many, many, many teens in the foster care system waiting to be adopted.
Why on earth would you think that they are in less need of a forever home than a young child?

If anything, they are most at risk of ending up on the streets or in prison when they age out of the system without being adopted.

Is the connection between bio children and their parents severed when they go out on their own?

What stupidity.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think people should be commended for adopting a child that age, gay or straight.

For the ones that say it is only for a few years. Wrong! They will be his parents for life!
Exactly!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You really should do some research on fostering/adopting teens.
There are many, many, many teens in the foster care system waiting to be adopted.
Why on earth would you think that they are in less need of a forever home than a young child?

If anything, they are most at risk of ending up on the streets or in prison when they age out of the system without being adopted.

Is the connection between bio children and their parents severed when they go out on their own?

What stupidity.
What is stupid about the fact that the younger the child the more care they need? A 16 year old is only 2 years away from being a legal adult. I do worry about teens aging out of the foster care system but is adopting someone who will soon be an adult the only answer? How much contact will they even have with him or her when they want to go to college or maybe just go out on their own? The main support they will want is financial not child rearing. A couple of years with the child and they may be empty nesters and alone.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Maybe the teenager is an out gay kid and no straight couple would adopt him. Maybe the gay couple adopted him because they knew they could give him the love and support he needs.

Frankly, and I know this is unfair, when I see stories in the paper about older kids who are adopted I always worry for the children. Children in foster care are extremely vulnerable and often the only thing standing between them and abuse is the decency of the adoptive parents. If you read enough C-D it seems like 95% of parents are jerks, so IMO, it's always cause for concern. Like I said, I know it's unfair to even think it.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Maybe the teenager is an out gay kid and no straight couple would adopt him. Maybe the gay couple adopted him because they knew they could give him the love and support he needs.

Frankly, and I know this is unfair, when I see stories in the paper about older kids who are adopted I always worry for the children. Children in foster care are extremely vulnerable and often the only thing standing between them and abuse is the decency of the adoptive parents. If you read enough C-D it seems like 95% of parents are jerks, so IMO, it's always cause for concern. Like I said, I know it's unfair to even think it.

The idea that the boy may be gay is a good point. And so is the post where they thought the couple already knew the boy and wanted to help him.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,182 times
It's not a healthy environment most likely. I have nothing against gay men, but even my oldest brother who is gay will freely admit that most gay men's lifestyles aren't fit for children to be around, as the calling card for most gay men is to never shut up about their sexuality. I'm sure this young man will be better off in his new home than he would being taken care of by the state, but that's not saying much lol

Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The idea that the boy may be gay is a good point. And so is the post where they thought the couple already knew the boy and wanted to help him.
I wonder if they had any idea what raising a teen would be like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events