Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 02:14 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Oh really? When the adopted child is grown? Are all gays that monogamous? That would explain the bathhouse scenes of the 1970's....

That said, we have had social workers and other professionals evaluating adoptions on a case-by-case basis for years now.
To be fair the 1970's had a lot of heterosexuals "swinging" and bed hopping. The STDs were plentiful and there were tons of jokes about needing a shot of penicillin to clear things up and if someone passed by and people said "drip, drip, drip", "there goes Mr Coffee" or a single clap then everyone knew the person was infected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 02:31 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Oh really? When the adopted child is grown? Are all gays that monogamous? That would explain the bathhouse scenes of the 1970's....

That said, we have had social workers and other professionals evaluating adoptions on a case-by-case basis for years now.
Are all heterosexuals that monogamous? I'm certainly not. What does that have to do with this thread?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Quote:

14 is not grown. Also, are all hetero couples monogamous? Of course not. Your argument does not hold water.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:26 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You really should do some research on fostering/adopting teens.
There are many, many, many teens in the foster care system waiting to be adopted.
Why on earth would you think that they are in less need of a forever home than a young child?

If anything, they are most at risk of ending up on the streets or in prison when they age out of the system without being adopted.

Is the connection between bio children and their parents severed when they go out on their own?

What stupidity.
Exactly.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
I dont know..as much as I'd like to think it's an altruistic act (and it may well be that) the thought of two adult men adopting a handsome, almost adult, young male is a little strange. I'm sure we're all thinking it. Gay men should stick to adopting little girls and boys under 12.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Gay men should adopt whoever they want.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:17 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I dont know..as much as I'd like to think it's an altruistic act (and it may well be that) the thought of two adult men adopting a handsome, almost adult, young male is a little strange. I'm sure we're all thinking it. Gay men should stick to adopting little girls and boys under 12.
He was 12 when they saw him on Wednesday's child and 14 when he was adopted. The OP was incorrect in his 16 year old estimation.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
I dont know..as much as I'd like to think it's an altruistic act (and it may well be that) the thought of two adult men adopting a handsome, almost adult, young male is a little strange. I'm sure we're all thinking it.
No we were not all thinking that.

Quote:
Gay men should stick to adopting little girls and boys under 12.
So by extension you're saying straight me should not adopt adolescent girls, and straight women should not adopt adolescent males? Or are you inferring that only gay men sexually abuse adolescents?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:23 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
No, I do not find it strange in the slightest. My ONLY thought when hearing of anyone adopting an older child is how wonderful it is that people care enough to give that child the family he has likely been wanting his whole life.

Can people really not understand how meaningful adoption is to older children? I've never met a parent who doesn't look at parenting as a lifetime commitment, and most people continue to deeply value their parents for their entire lives, it's not like it all ends at 18. Sometimes people even adopt adults to formalize the relationship.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:00 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Umm- are we going to comment on the closeted gays and lesbians who have adopted for centuries. Or on biological parents who horribly abused their kids. Or on step parents who entered marriages for access to children. Or on the 101 other horrible scenarios that are played out in relation to child custody but do not seem to have merited 21 page threads.

FWIW- I have to wonder if him being that age might have triggered something in one of the new parents in regard to being a teenager. That is basically the age they would have fully realized their own orientation & they might have felt abandoned or alone in even the most supportive of settings. So seeing someone who was completely without a family/parents/mentors/support could have played their heartstrings more than a prototypical straight couple.

And I've known a couple of people who adopted across lines of race/age/nation of origin simply because it increased their odds of being chosen or because the situation spoke to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events