Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Homosexuality = pedophilia.
Like this lady?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...s-12-year.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:21 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I am so happy that the teenager found a permanent home. My boyfriend aged out of the foster care system into homelessness when he turned 18. Both he and his younger sisters were the victims of sexual abuse in the foster care system. Sexual orientation and attractiveness had not one thing to do with it.

Everyone deserves a home. Not everyone is up to making a very hurt, traumatized teenager (as any teenager in the foster care system would be) a part of their family, even though they are the one most in need of stability. I applaud any couple - straight, gay, lesbian - or any single parent who adopts older children in the foster care system.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:26 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
please everyone, I am not implying that I think there would be any misbehavior in this family relationship. adoptive families are interviewed to ensure the best care for the adopted children. I only mean that on some subconscious level these men adopted this boy preferring him over, say, a newborn baby girl.

An earlier commenter requested a link to the story, but there is no link, as I saw this on the news on Television.

some of the commenters wondered if the boy might be homosexual too. But from what I saw he seems very heterosexual, not that I can be a judge of that, but you know. anyway, the boy seemed a bit weather worn from bouncing through the foster care system it seems that romance of any sort couldn't have been further from his mind, as he was just relieved to be adopted finally.
Newborns are a hot commodity. I don't mean to commoditize the adoption process, but when many people who are unable to have children dream of having a family, they think of an infant.

Children available for adoption who are older than 3 have a significantly lower chance of finding a permanent home. It becomes close to a miracle to find a permanent home for a child who is older than 6.

There are still orphanages in America. They're called group homes. That's where teenagers like the boy that this couple adopted tend to languish. They have no stability, few role models, and - perhaps the worst - very low expectations from the adults around them. My boyfriend was never once encouraged to go to college, despite likely qualifying for lots of assistance and having a photographic memory. 3-6% of kids who age out of the foster care system go to college. About half face homelessness and/or crime. Upwards of half of the girls who age out end up pregnant within 18 months.

These children need homes, stability, and love just as much as infants. Moreso, even. It is a tough road. And when I adopt from the foster care system in a few years, G-d forbid anyone question my motives for adopting an older child.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:00 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Ah. But, you see, no other side is allowed to express their feelings in this current environment. those screaming for tolerance and inclusion and equal rights are the first ones in the room to start yelling when someone voices a different opinion.

The original premise of this thread is "leading" to say the least. It's a dangerous intro if an intelligent conversation is desired.
What intelligent conversation? The one based on innuendos and assumptions of proclivities based on certain sexual stereotypes? You want an intelligent conversation based on that? Seriously?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
please everyone, I am not implying that I think there would be any misbehavior in this family relationship. adoptive families are interviewed to ensure the best care for the adopted children. I only mean that on some subconscious level these men adopted this boy preferring him over, say, a newborn baby girl.

An earlier commenter requested a link to the story, but there is no link, as I saw this on the news on Television.

some of the commenters wondered if the boy might be homosexual too. But from what I saw he seems very heterosexual, not that I can be a judge of that, but you know. anyway, the boy seemed a bit weather worn from bouncing through the foster care system it seems that romance of any sort couldn't have been further from his mind, as he was just relieved to be adopted finally.
OMG really?!?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
This thread is so stupid. For crying out loud, he's SIXTEEN and probably has a girlfriend.

Plus, he probably came out as straight already, thereby avoiding that tough discussion.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for a great great laugh on a cold afternoon outside Boston!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,349 times
Quote:
I only mean that on some subconscious level these men adopted this boy preferring him over, say, a newborn baby girl.
Anyone who automatically thinks this way is disturbed.

If I ever adopted a child - and I have considered it - it would probably be a boy around 7-10 years old. Why? Because I'm some hetero pedophile? Of course not! Because I'm not interested in younger children, older children need families too and I like raising boys. Have 2 already.

To automatically assume gay men are driven in ALL things by some subconscious lust is just sick.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:

How do you know it was a subconscious decision? Maybe it was a very conscious decision to adopt a child who otherwise would languish in the foster care system.

What do you mean that romance couldn't have been farther from his mind? I was one of the people who suggested the boy might be gay and up front about it, but I was in no way implying that he was looking for romance from his adoptive fathers. I find this to be a very odd leap. Do you think that heterosexual children are looking for romance with heterosexual adoptive parents?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Link?
Took a lot of searching, but I think this is it:
Video | NBC4 Washington

Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
An excellent example of how a person damn well better not have an opinion about anything having to do with gays that gays do not agree with. Who knew? I don't necessarily agree with what was posted, but that has nothing to do with what I'm saying here. Why are gay people so touchy?
I'm not gay but I think it's obvious that the OP was implying that attractive gay men adopting an attractive gay boy must be intent on sexually abusing him, or are at least sexually attracted to him. That's just plain offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events