Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,542,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think schools should not observe ANY religious holidays. Having said that, there should be guidelines in place so that if it is a religious holiday, the parent's have a choice to keep their child at home without having the child's attendance record affected.

Kids will still have plenty of school holidays due to 4th of July, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, President's Day, etc. since all of these holidays are celebrated by all Americans regardless of religion.

The other thing to note is that minus Christmas, what days do schools currently close for other religious holidays?
st. patricks day in boston. they call it evacuation day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:38 PM

37,091 posts, read 42,078,286 times
It's not even about religion or schools observing them, it's about catering to your audience. My daughters college changed their schedule a bit a few years back to prevent excessive partying around a specific holiday. Know your audience!!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,542,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Psssst - they don't recognize 4th of July or President's Day in other nations with a majority Christian population either. They probably don't recognize Easter or Good Friday, much the same way as you probably don't recognize Yom Kippur.

In the words of my people - oy vey iz mir.
what kids are going to school in july (summer school ?)
my limited knowledge of muslin countries is that they have sharia law. they have clerics/priests that run their countries so obviously separation of law and religion is not in there constitutions. just the opposite... their muslim faith is a big part of their law.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:34 PM

192 posts, read 247,693 times
Quote:
I'm most familiar with the issue from the Jewish perspective. For whatever reason, many Jews go into education as compared to the general population. There are plenty of areas around the country where schools close down for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur because of the teachers, while very few students are Jewish.

This seems like an issue where it's good for me, but not for thee.
4% of NJ students are Jewish, yet I don't remember protest or disgust when they gave the state off for that. Selective bigotry isn't cool. How about Hindu or Sikh students? We either need to i) dump all religious holidays ii) give 'flex' time. Ie a student can get perfect attendance if he takes off duringa religious holiday.

Speaking as someone who grew up with a Muslim momma, she would work Christmas E, Xmas/NYeve/NY at no additional pay. I expect at least some of the same reciprocity from other communities.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,182,766 times
Muslim holidays, being on a lunar, cycle move “back” 10 days every year so for 9 years they fall in summer months. There will be kids who will never see them while in school.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:04 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,507,890 times
Quote:
Psssst - they don't recognize 4th of July or President's Day in other nations with a majority Christian population either. They probably don't recognize Easter or Good Friday, much the same way as you probably don't recognize Yom Kippur.

In the words of my people - oy vey iz mir.
No need for a hand slap there charol

You misinterpreted my post.

Sorry you misinterpreted it .

The meaning of it was related to thread title of schools here adding Muslim holidays.

VIA

Me mentioning holidays on USA soil celebrated in Muslim countries.

See...no need for a hand slap!

Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,507,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Add 'em all, then their won't be any school days left in session for the school year

Hmmmm, wonder if they recognize the 4th of July as a Holiday in the Muslim Countries?. Or Easter or President's Day, or Good Friday.

America is on its way out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
4th of July is simply a date on a calendar. If you're speaking of 4th of July in terms of Independence Day in America, that isn't a religious holiday anyway, nor is President's Day. And did you know nearly all the symbolism of Easter is based on ancient Pagan traditions, not Christian? (like the whole Easter egg thing)
I think I know what you are saying.

But, you are looking to deep into my posting and what I said.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:05 AM

88,263 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
4th of July is simply a date on a calendar. If you're speaking of 4th of July in terms of Independence Day in America, that isn't a religious holiday anyway, nor is President's Day. And did you know nearly all the symbolism of Easter is based on ancient Pagan traditions, not Christian? (like the whole Easter egg thing)
Lol. Do you think there s anyone on the planet who DOESN'T know that many Easter traditions have pagan origins?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 AM

88,263 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think schools should not observe ANY religious holidays. Having said that, there should be guidelines in place so that if it is a religious holiday, the parent's have a choice to keep their child at home without having the child's attendance record affected.

Kids will still have plenty of school holidays due to 4th of July, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, President's Day, etc. since all of these holidays are celebrated by all Americans regardless of religion.

The other thing to note is that minus Christmas, what days do schools currently close for other religious holidays?
Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur. Most schools in the NYC/NJ metro area close on those days.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,684,271 times
Generally the schools do this because most kids are kept home and not enough kids attend. I know when we lived out East it was strange to me to have off the Jewish holidays. However, so many children wouldn't go to school to observe the holiday it wasn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events