Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times

Advertisements

If you do not live a criminal lifestyle or get caught committing crime then you are not going to be killed by a police officer. Most people who are killed by police have criminal records or are challenging the police, assaulting the police or even brandishing a weapon. Its amazing to me how much sympathy criminals are getting when the inevidable happens and they are shot by the police. I feel sorry for anyone who is in the law enforcement profession, they are in a no win position. If they are lenient then crime spikes and they are held accountable. Cracking down on crime involves using force, sometimes deadly force, then they are accused of racism and heavy handed tactics. These officers involved in shootings then lose their jobs, lawsuits and even criminal investigations. It will become hard to find people to go into law enforcement if this continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 03:04 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
How likely is a law-abiding American citizen to be killed by a police officer?
That honestly depends on your race, age, and location. In nowhere Wyoming, I would not likely at all; but if you are a 16-35yr old black man in Detroit/NYC/LA/etc... then substantially higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think worrying about getting killed by a terrorist or a police officer in the US is a sign of being an idiot.
Naw, I subscribe to the plan for the worst, hope for the best, life philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
US Citizen 6000 times more likely to be killed by local police than Budhist Monk driving a KIA ..
MORON.. we really dont have terrorist here..
Tell that to all the OK City bombing victims, or the 9/11 victims then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
People need to realize if you're going not going to obey or co-operate with an officer of the law, there's a chance you might get beat-up or get shot, whether you are a criminal or not. It's a no brainer. Keep your drama to a minimum when dealing with the police.
I certainly will not obey an order from a cop that is against the law or my rights. As a matter of fact, we just had an officer suspended for 2 weeks after trying to barge into our home and continue to question our 14 yr old (at the time) daughter; after she repeatedly told him she was the only one home, and she refused to be questioned without her parents or atty present (which are her legal RIGHTS). Since then, he has charged her with two different offenses with no evidence, both were thrown out, and that's why he was suspended w/o pay.

If it is a legal request/order, then I gladly comply, but if it ain't legal, or against my rights, NOT gunna happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The title of this thread should be modified to read "A U.S citizen is 58 times more likely to be killed by a police officer if they don't comply with what the officer is telling them to do, and they resist." All people have to do is be reasonable and do what the officer says, and they will most likely go home that night.

I've been stopped by the police and have never been shot...........has anyone else on here ? Nope, because we do the right things during that event.

Don
See above response. I refuse to have an officer that tries to trample over my rights, cause he thinks the majority of us don't know them (and the majority do not!!!), and the majority assume that we don't know legal procedure.

Take for example border patrol stops; it is ILLEGAL for them to ask if you are a US citizen.

It is also perfectly legal in a DUI checkpoint to not roll down your window and hand them your id, you can leave the glass up and put your license on the glass. You DO NOT EVER have to answer ANY questions! This is not Germany in 1940!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Cutting & pasting youtube videos does not prove what you said. It only proves you have some elementary computer skills.
Actually, it proves that you don't have to be a criminal to get shot by cops; which is what he was asked to prove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Doctors don't deal with hardened criminals who don't listen to authority on a daily basis.
So criminals don't go to the doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I haven't heard of any, I have seen the news reports of some running away and then getting shot, or fighting with cops and then getting shot, but not by complying with the cops orders.
You didn't hear about that guy in Walmart carrying around a bb gun that he was BUYING from the store and got shot dead in the aisles? Didn't hear about that guy that got shot by the cops for grabbing his id out of his car after the cop told him to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So if we are so scared of the cops , why do we call them when we are being robbed ????

If I am uneasy about a dark parking deck or being stranded on a highway at night I sure do feel better if a cop arrives....

If I am being robbed, the cops are the last thing on my mind honestly. Stopping the robbing by any means necessary is my 1st and only thought. But then again, I open carry and live in a stand your ground state.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
A U.S. Citizen is 58 Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist | The Free Thought Project
Most people have seen the number floating around social media that suggests that citizens are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist, but new data revisions suggest this number was dramatically underestimated.

The lack of accurate official records being kept in the important category of individuals killed by police was met with numerous efforts by citizens. One example, in particular, is Killed By Police - 2015. This site is used to more accurately track the number of people killed by cops yearly.

And what do you think guys? Are you feel yourself in safety while "innocent" cop who killed few black guys is still on duty?
What do you think about possibility of terrorist act and do you think that U.S. Citizen is 58 Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist?
How absurd.

So, tell us, what are my chances of being killed by a soldier? Oh, about zero. Not true for a terrorist.
Perhaps that is because the soldier is charged with the duty of killing terrorists.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Well this makes a mockery of statistics. The point that isn't made is that the vast majority of people killed by terrorists were doing nothing wrong. The vast majority of people killed by cops had committed a crime within the previous 24 hours and were resisting arrest which puts the cops lives at risks as they must enforce the laws.

Really bad way to misuse statistics.

In other news, Americans are over a hundred times more likely to be killed by cheese than by cops. Heart disease is a major killer in America and if people would stop stuffing their face with cheese they would be less likely to die.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:20 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Just how many more times is an American likely to be a criminal than a terrorist? This anti police nonsense is really getting old because so much of it is baseless.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Maybe I should join ISIS if it's that much safer than living here in America.....

Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Personal safety in the US is a localized issue. If you live where crime rates are high then your chances of encountering crime are higher and with that comes a higher probability of interaction with the police. In other areas you can easily go through your entire life and have little to no contact with either element. Where you live is always a choice. How you choose to live your life also has a lot to do with it. Hang around criminals and reap the rewards.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
How likely is a law-abiding American citizen to be killed by a police officer?
Very possible....... Cops think they can do whatever they want nowadays.... ITS VERY SCARY!!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:27 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If doctors were killing people, by mistake or on purpose, there would be an outcry. Pretty much any other profession. I understand that Police work is dangerous, but in many cases, these killings could have been prevented.
You realize that doctors kill over 200,000 people a year by mistake or on purpose?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 AM

520 posts, read 775,800 times
Perhaps the mathematical geniuses that cooked up the "58 times more likely" stat can give us a number on the following:

How much MORE likely is a police officer to be shot in the line of duty since the President, Attorney General, the media and all these alleged advocacy groups started demonizing police officers?

2 officers shot in 'ambush' outside Ferguson PD

Police officer dies in Philadelphia police shooting - CBS News

Suffolk Police Officer Shot in Huntington Station, Suspect in Custody | Huntington, NY Patch

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/ny...klyn.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events