U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:47 PM

9,716 posts, read 6,659,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think there's one answer to why McDonalds is good or bad.

If I'm traveling or in a hurry, I might on occasion stop at McD's, although less so since their fast food isn't very fast anymore; before I could say -- oh, it's not great, but it's fast. Now it's not fast.

It's also not cheap anymore. For about $2-$3 more I can get a really good tasting burger at Smashburger, and walk out thinking that it was truly delicious. Or I can stop at Denny's or Village Inn and at least get a broader menu for a dollar or two more.
Now THIS is a valid argument. While Denny's tends to be a grease-bomb, their food is [FOOD]. You know what you're ordering, what it will look like, and what it will taste like; for cheap! I can't justify spending ~$10 on a McDonald's, Wendy's or BK menu when I can get a skillet from Denny's for the same price, especially considering, as you pointed out, how they're not fast anymore.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM

452 posts, read 293,155 times
I don't know what y'all are talking about. 1st quarter sales are up as was the 4th quarter before it. Increased sales are attributed to selling breakfasts all day and strong sales of the McPick2.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:50 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,085,446 times
They aren't going anywhere. And serving breakfast all day was a smart business move on their part.

Their menu was getting over saturated with more complex items, making times even higher, but they did just cut it back down some. I still think there is too much on the menu to be fast food. When I worked there and they introduced the big wraps, it was awful. There was no fast way to make those wraps, and people get so pissed. Same with special drinks, people order all these special coffees and drinks, and the machines only make them so fast. It holds everything up, but people still order them and will come just for those, so they aren't going anywhere. We were always busy, and they still are (in my town anyway, there's not much competition).

If you dine in between certain hours, you are seated and food brought out to. It's really not fast food anymore, it's convenient food.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:32 PM

11,735 posts, read 4,013,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
McDonalds has been in worse shape before, most notably 2003-2004, so i dont see any hard evidence that this new competition is going to derail them. Most of it is anecdotal at best (i.e I drive by a McDonalds on my way to Smash/In-n-Out/FiveGuys/Whata/Sonic/Wendys/Some-Random-Local-joint and don't see anyone on line, so the corporation must be going downhill!!). Yet the financials say otherwise.
I think the current quarter is the first time in seven quarters where they have shown a profit increase and more competition is on the horizon.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-03-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 PM

9,012 posts, read 8,326,414 times
McDonald's is fine, I'm sure they'll be OK financially...
I don't bash McDonald's-
I like their breakfast stuff once in a great
while, w/ their coffee.....
Bacon egg & cheese biscuit or their hotcakes- yum

I will say tho-- never never never again will I try their buttermilk chicken sandwich....
It was free, I tried it & it was gross

Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,153,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think there's one answer to why McDonalds is good or bad.

If I'm traveling or in a hurry, I might on occasion stop at McD's, although less so since their fast food isn't very fast anymore; before I could say -- oh, it's not great, but it's fast. Now it's not fast.

It's also not cheap anymore. For about $2-$3 more I can get a really good tasting burger at Smashburger, and walk out thinking that it was truly delicious. Or I can stop at Denny's or Village Inn and at least get a broader menu for a dollar or two more.
I agree, their prices are way too expensive for what you actually get, I'd rather spend .75 more and eat Chinese. You get a lot more to eat, plus a side of MSG. Serious though, the rare times I eat out with my family happen to be at a Japanese Steakhouse, where the entire meal is prepared right in front of us on a large grill.

As a kid I worked in enough restaurants to know I'd rather not eat in a lot of them, especially those that mostly employ teenagers. For anyone that sends food back, don't, and never, ever, send food back at a fast food chain, unless you need a colon cleansing.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 PM

4,507 posts, read 2,890,589 times
I'm guessing McDonald's will be around for a long time to come. They have enough competency to stick around. OTOH, I'd say kiss goodbye such aggressive expansions. They can't keep making $$ forever in a finite economy. Even if they're still around, that may require closing down a bunch of stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or