U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:58 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,288,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
We don't have to disagree, the historical record of Joey Smith demonstrates that he was a charlatan, just like Creflo Dollar.
Again, we will disagree. And I'm not debating this point with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 898,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Minister Creflo Dollar asks for $60 million in donations for a new jet - CNN.com

So Pastor Dollar, who is seeking major dollars (sorry, I couldn't help it), can't fly coach to spread the gospel? Even first clas flights wouldn't cost anywhere close to $60 million for all of this guy's travels. Note, that figure doesn't even get into fuel costs! And people wonder why I'm so fed up with many of these pastors aka pimps of the pulpit. Seriously, I'm disgusted. Somewhat surprisingly, though, Dollar is being very open about matters, which I don't normally see mega church pastors do in such instances.
He wouldn't get one red dime of my money. Not one red dime.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:42 PM

1,293 posts, read 898,564 times
Quote:
I have no problem with religion inherently, though I do have a huge problem with some of the religious people responsible for molding and interpreting doctrine.
That is the religion. You can create your own you know that right? So, when you say people "molding and interpreting doctrine" that in and of itself is what constitutes a "religion." Of course, it doesn't matter which kind it is either.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:54 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Though I respect your views on the matter, we will just have to disagree there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
We don't have to disagree, the historical record of Joey Smith demonstrates that he was a charlatan, just like Creflo Dollar.
Yes, Regrasshat, we will have to disagree, but since Joseph Smith is not the subject of this thread, it might be a good idea to save this discussion for the Christianity forum.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:19 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,727,922 times
I found some articles blaming Creflo Dollar for helping to bankrupt Evandar Holyfield. The boxer apparently took Creflo Dollar's preachings about the need to tithe to his church so seriously that he "tithed" $23 million dollars to the preacher's prosperity gospel ministry. Apparently he also beat his wife because she refused to tithe instead of pay the heat bill. He also had petitioned the courts to allow him to pay less in child support.

Here are some old articles but I thought they were applicable to this situation

https://pjmiller.wordpress.com/2010/...-over-tithing/

$23 Million Reasons Why Evander Holyfield Should... | PimpPreacher.com

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-16-2015 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 06:56 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,099,209 times
Well we have the liberty to be foolish with our money.

I find it ridiculous, however no more so than many Gofund me requests.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:59 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,099,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I found some articles blaming Creflo Dollar for helping to bankrupt Evandar Holyfield. The boxer apparently took Creflo Dollar's preachings about the need to tithe to his church so seriously that he "tithed" $23 million dollars to the preacher's prosperity gospel ministry. Apparently he also beat his wife because she refused to tithe instead of pay the heat bill. He also had petitioned the courts to allow him to pay less in child support.

Sounds like Evander Holyfield should have attended some serious Bible study.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:02 PM

12,702 posts, read 10,765,304 times
He was stupid. I like him just fine. Very good speaker.
A private jet with all he does all over is ok with me, business men
that travel like him have them...but that one! Gee!
And if he gets it...I hope he likes it.

I don't donate, btw...I just don't care what he does very much or
the nice place he lives...I don't give him anything...people who do...
doesn't bother ME!

I wish I would have done his gig! Smart guy!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
That is the religion. You can create your own you know that right? So, when you say people "molding and interpreting doctrine" that in and of itself is what constitutes a "religion." Of course, it doesn't matter which kind it is either.
Right, but I never stated that I have a problem with all people interpreting and molding religion, but rather with only some people doing so. For others, their interpretation and molding of religious doctrine is not problematic to me. Hence, I have no problem with them.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post

Holyfield probably thought/expected that he was getting into some great financial deal with the good rev. and got burned in the end. While Holyfield is known to be a man of great faith, I'd be stunned if he thought he was giving $23 million "to the Lord."

Having written that, I wonder how much of that story is true, if it is at all. This is the first I've heard of it and I'm not finding anything about it on a MSM site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or