Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:47 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
By the way, Creflo Dollar and every other preacher/minister who is earning a salary (no matter how small) are a huge reason why I admire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Mormon bishops don't earn any pay for their service (it's all done on a volunteer-basis) and even missionaries self-fund their trips. And, yet, the Mormon Church is an extremely fast-growing religion. If Mormon bishops/elders can spread their message and grow their church without a salary (forget about a private jet) and through spending their own money, Creflo can do the same.
The Mormon church has its own issues with money. Members are required to tithe 10% of their income. Church leaders have told the poorest and most destitute members they still need to pay the tithe.

Quote:
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing.”
Source:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/12/s...tions?lang=eng
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
The Mormon church has its own issues with money. Members are required to tithe 10% of their income. Church leaders have told the poorest and most destitute members they still need to pay the tithe.

Source:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/12/s...tions?lang=eng
To be fair, I know more than a few LDS members who aren't tithing (or aren't tithing anywhere near 10% of their income) as they cannot afford to do so. There don't seem to be any membership consequences for not tithing 10% or tithing at all. Thus, its not a true requirement in that regard. More on this point: Why are Mormons asked to donate 10% of their income to their Church? | Mormon.org.

Moving on, the message/quote you posted seemed to be not about supporting/enriching the church (I'm sure the Mormon Church doesn't need the tithing of the poor of El Slavador to support its global operations), but to encourage a culture of looking out for others who are even less fortunate than you (I say its for Karma purposes). As the church is very generous in providing for those who are without (from the members who are tithing what they don't have to non-members, for instance: LDS Humanitarian Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), I'm not sure I'm concerned with this practice. In short, the Mormon Church actually seems to be putting a great deal of that tithing to good, charitable uses, including providing resources/services to poorer members. Can't say the same about Dollar.

Now I'm sure the Mormon Church has legitimate problems (and I respect that you think that the tithing issue is a legitimate issue, though I disagree), but I don't think that this is one.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-16-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Everyone knows you "can petition God with prayer." Adding money for a fancy airplane apparently helps. I guess it also works for the LDS so they can build more buildings so God listens better?

In my opinion it is all delusion exploited by the preachers so they can live like royalty.

You cannot petition the universe with prayer. The best you can do is follow the rules. Sometimes a rule you did not know was being violated can get you anyway. That is called bad luck.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say they are "required." Mormons believe tithing is a commandment, not a suggestion, and yes, they believe in keeping God's commandments. Nobody is forced to pay tithing, and there are many in the Church who don't. The poorest and most destitute members, by the way, are taken care of by the Church in return. Donations from members who are financially better off are used specifically to care for the poor.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say they are "required." Mormons believe tithing is a commandment, not a suggestion, and yes, they believe in keeping God's commandments. Nobody is forced to pay tithing, and there are many in the Church who don't. The poorest and most destitute members, by the way, are taken care of by the Church in return. Donations from members who are financially better off are used specifically to care for the poor.
Thanks for sharing. I assume you're a church member? From personal knowledge (though not as a church member) I made a similar argument in a previous response, but didn't want to be as forceful as you are here as I didn't understand the entire picture.

Needless to say, I doubt Creflo Dollar's ministries are providing for the poor, of which its Atlanta-area home base has many, as the Mormon Church does.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
If people are dumb enough to give it then so be it.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM

506 posts, read 426,583 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I assume you're a church member? From personal knowledge (though not as a church member) I made a similar argument in a previous response, but didn't want to be as forceful as you are here as I didn't understand the entire picture.

Needless to say, I doubt Creflo Dollar's ministries are providing for the poor, of which its Atlanta-area home base has many, as the Mormon Church does.
Don't be mislead, the Mormons are just as sketchy as Creflo Dollar. Creflo Dollar is just the modern version of the scam artist that founded the Mormon Church.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If people are dumb enough to give it then so be it.
Ugh, I know, and that's how I feel at the end of the day. Still, I think its great to have such individuals exposed for who they truly are so that unsuspecting members on the public/potential worshipers are put on alert. If, after fully realizing the extent of the greed of the leadership of this ministry, people still want to donate to this foolishness, then so be it. I will continue to hold out hope, however, that such stories lead to reforms, where necessary, into the tax-exempt status that churches hold.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Don't be mislead, the Mormons are just as sketchy as Creflo Dollar. Creflo Dollar is just the modern version of the scam artist that founded the Mormon Church.
Though I respect your views on the matter, we will just have to disagree there.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 PM

506 posts, read 426,583 times
Quote:
Though I respect your views on the matter, we will just have to disagree there.
We don't have to disagree, the historical record of Joey Smith demonstrates that he was a charlatan, just like Creflo Dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events