Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times

Advertisements

So if a person was armed and detained by police they would not be able to video record it? I call BS and hope this dies, hopefully this Rhino is tossed from office next election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Only in Texas !

Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It also says that everyone else must stay 25 feet away. Which would severely limit peoples right to film police misconduct. Example they will be too far away to pick up the sound of the victims voice say "I can't breathe, I can't breathe", while the cops are smothering him to death. And that's the type of thing murderous cops don't want to have on video.

If you can't get film and sound at 30 feet, its time to trade in that lame duck camera phone and get yourself a real one.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:22 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Some of you folks need to chill out. Not all Cops are thugs and villains. Cops aren't manufactured. They come form the same pool of citizens we are a part of. Common sense will tell you we aren't all perfect, and there are a lot of bad apples among us, so why does one expect people with Uniforms to all be perfect, without a Jerk among them. Doesn't make sense. There is no valid reason to "Demonize" Police at all. Stick to giving the bad ones the grief. Put all your pressure on them. Don't waste your time with good Cops.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
If you can't get film and sound at 30 feet, its time to trade in that lame duck camera phone and get yourself a real one.
Have you ever tried to record non-amplified voices at 30 feet. Assuming you have a microphone that can pick up voices 30 feet away (most non-profesionals who this is directed at do not), there is a little problem of a thing called back ground noise.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:15 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Some of you folks need to chill out. Not all Cops are thugs and villains. Cops aren't manufactured. They come form the same pool of citizens we are a part of. Common sense will tell you we aren't all perfect, and there are a lot of bad apples among us, so why does one expect people with Uniforms to all be perfect, without a Jerk among them. Doesn't make sense. There is no valid reason to "Demonize" Police at all. Stick to giving the bad ones the grief. Put all your pressure on them. Don't waste your time with good Cops.
What does that have to do with this thread? If the cops are not thugs and villains, then they should have nothing to hide and no reason not to want to have people recording them. Why do you want to protect bad cops by making it illegal for citizens to record them? Unless maybe you think there are more thugs and villains in the police department then you are letting on.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:28 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with this thread? If the cops are not thugs and villains, then they should have nothing to hide and no reason not to want to have people recording them. Why do you want to protect bad cops by making it illegal for citizens to record them? Unless maybe you think there are more thugs and villains in the police department then you are letting on.
Because I agree that this bill will not pass and was Ill conceieved does not equate to the anti police bias spewed by you...
Now your suggesting that ..background noise...somehow equates with a ability to record and enter anywhere you like..at least this is the inference I take from rabid posts. ie a scene where a policeman is taking action... while I could care less about being filmed if anyone is an asshat interfering with my job...doesn't leave when asked... causes me safety issues or diversion of my attention during dangerous or critical times while I'm taking action...
148 PC.... youre going to jail

The street is not the time to litigate... my scene is my office... and you cannot interfere no matter what rights you think you have...

Old 03-15-2015, 09:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I do think the fact that cell phone cameras are everywhere it keeps the police more honest and aware of what they are doing ....I don't think the bill will pass .

Old 03-15-2015, 11:00 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,898 times
Another issue is it's not always feasible to either get to or remain 25 feet away from an altercation going on.....think about a sports event, concert, etc......even in congested cities with people clamoring around it would near impossible to maintain a distance. Think about the Ferguson riots, the Boston Bombing and other such events where everyone had their cameras/cellphones out in close proximity to cops & police vehicles and all the craziness going on....you'd have hundreds of people technically in violation & subject to being charged under this ridiculous, over-reaching statute.

There is also the chance the altercation would continue to move towards someone filming , a foot chase and other unpredictable moves that would result in someone who is just standing there stationary "violating" the law they are trying to pass.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Would you object to a government camera in your private home...seeing as how you're not doing anything wrong? Huh? Would you? Of course you would. So would I.

Look, the cops aren't the bad guys. I know many of you paint them all with the same broad brush. If I were having a conversation with someone, I wouldn't want them shoving a camera in my face either. It's sickening that all the paranoia is causing more laws to be passed, when all that is needed to begin with is showing some respect and courtesy to a police officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events