Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are YOU in favor of death penalty for mentally impaired?
Yes because he was sentenced to death 50 45.87%
No, it's inhumane 52 47.71%
Other 7 6.42%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Yes, I don't want to pay for feeding a psychopath when I can barely get enough proper food to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 04:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Many people are SORRY and show remorse for their actions (killing another). If this were the case why aren't all police officers deemed mentally unstable?

No doubt in psychopathology, there exists myriad forms of personality disorders. They are not the same as mental illness. Mental illness is a medical disease. Personality disorders are not!
Personality disorders stem from brain chemistry anomalies.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Personality disorders stem from brain chemistry anomalies.
No they don't!

What causes personality disorders?

Old 03-25-2015, 04:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Do you know the differences between psychologists with PhDs and psychiatrists with MDs? It doesn't sound like it. Continuing research, some noticeably by the Mayo Clinic, has made correlations between genetics and personality disorders. Diagnoses have many crossovers between the ICD-10 codes and the DM-5.

Granted, I should have said, "some."

Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I can't be for the death penalty because I really believe in the 10 commandments. "Thou Shall Not Kill" is pretty straight forward. It seems Texas is a state that has very little if any religion. They commit killings the most.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
No, the reason I'm against the death penalty in fact is because I think in order to do a crime that deserves it you'd pretty much have to be mentally deficient in some way. Either that or under extreme duress of some sort.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:35 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you know the differences between psychologists with PhDs and psychiatrists with MDs? It doesn't sound like it. Continuing research, some noticeably by the Mayo Clinic, has made correlations between genetics and personality disorders. Diagnoses have many crossovers between the ICD-10 codes and the DM-5.

Granted, I should have said, "some."
Of course. A psychiatrist is a physician that has a medical degree. A psychoanalyst, psychotherapist do not dispense medication.

The DSM V in fact describes personality disorders, and methodologies for treatment. None of the treatment protocols for PERSONALITY DISORDERS requires medication. Any number of schools of psychoanalytic/and or psycho-therapeutic engagement are applicable. For those with psychiatric disabilities, both methods can be quite helpful. The medical model is the only one that treats psychiatric disorders. Psychiatric disorders include: The varying degrees of Schizophrenia (they're not all the same); Bi Polar Disorder, Clinical Depression and so on.

PERSONALITY DISORDERS ARE NOT, NOR HAVE THEY EVER BEEN the same as mental illnesses that originate physiologically.

Narcissim was removed as a personality disorder in the latest edition of the DSM V.
Other examples of personality disorders include:

Histrionic Personality Disorder
Anti-Social Personality Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Avoidant Personality Disorder

Last edited by ErnieG; 03-25-2015 at 08:43 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 AM

87 posts, read 133,218 times
no, although in reality, keeping an inmate in a cage for the rest of their life, in small quarters, is almost worse in some ways.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:19 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Well, I don't believe in the death penalty.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:58 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
For those who don't believe in the death penalty for someone who beyond any reasonable doubt has taken the life(lives) of an innocent person(persons), would you be willing to put your name/address/bank account number on a list so you can help pay for incarcerating such person, "rehabilitating" them, for the rest of their life?

On this same train of thought, I'd love to see a stop of the game of endless appeals for those on death row that have been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be guilty of an ugly crime that warrants a death penalty and the waste of $ that entails and the slap in the face to the victim's family/friends.

I also define any person who has the callousness of taking a human life(lives) indiscriminately to be "mentally ill", so the definition is basically meaningless to me in the case of a cold murderer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events