Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:13 PM

635 posts, read 745,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
What a bad few years for flying. Seems like we're reading about a new crash every other month or so. Scary and sad.
About 3000 people die a day in auto accidents...flying is still by far much safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,541 times
Absolutely terrible. According to the News there are 16 students and 2 teachers from a Spanish class of a grammar school in Germany among the victims. Also babies and toddlers. A very sad day.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
If we ever do figure out how to eliminate irrational human fears, then CNN and Fox News will both be out of business.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And people scoff at my fear of flying. "The chance of a plane crash is virtually nil. Totally safe". That's what the people on this flight were thinking as well.
If a person has an irrational fear of flying, a phobia so to speak, then that is a fear to be acknowledged, recognized, and dealt with appropriately.

If one fears flying because of the chances of a crash, and is totally rational about it (IOW, no innate fear of flying), that's ridiculous. As others have pointed out, you stand a better chance of dying from driving, lightning and hippos than you do plane crashes.

They will crash, it's always terrible, and the loss of life is lamentable. But it's one of the least common ways of dying that exists.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
If a person has an irrational fear of flying, a phobia so to speak, then that is a fear to be acknowledged, recognized, and dealt with appropriately.

If one fears flying because of the chances of a crash, and is totally rational about it (IOW, no innate fear of flying), that's ridiculous. As others have pointed out, you stand a better chance of dying from driving, lightning and hippos than you do plane crashes.

They will crash, it's always terrible, and the loss of life is lamentable. But it's one of the least common ways of dying that exists.
Sigh. As I said before, I fly I just hate it & I take drugs to get through it. Whoever said I haven't acknowledged it? Clearly, I just did. Is there a reason why one can't just let someone have a fear of something without getting preachy about it? I fear flying, big deal, millions of people fear it. Millions of people have other fears. There are people who fear driving but still drive. There are people who fear public places but still go out in public. Why such disdain for a fear of flying? It's a little obnoxious.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM

828 posts, read 907,408 times
thefragile, they're just talking. And you're getting defensive. No one attacked you. It's not their fault you're sensitive about this issue. They're just exchanging facts, and sharing opinions calmly.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
If we ever do figure out how to eliminate irrational human fears, then CNN and Fox News will both be out of business.
Along with certain political parties...

Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

That isn't quite correct. These stats always come up as do the comments about how flying is statistically safer than driving and so on. The comparisons are invalid on their face values.

Death by traffic collision is very regional as far as frequency goes. It is also liked to type of vehicle in the collision and so on.

Cars do not drop out of the air and collide with the ground. If you compare like circumstances, cars are exponentially safer to be in that air planes. Then you have professional pilots vs non-professional car drivers so again, the comparisons aren't really valid. Lets compare the chances of being killed in a vehicular accident when a professional driver is at the wheel and then only account for those instance where the vehicle leaves the roadway and impacts the ground.

No matter how you cut it, the comparison isn't valid. The only reason the comparisons like this are used is because if they weren't, the stats would show the risk to be much greater than the manipulation of stats show now.

As always, stats can be used to manipulate information and skew risk in favor of whatever you want.

For the people on this flight, the risk sure didn't work out did it?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That isn't quite correct. These stats always come up as do the comments about how flying is statistically safer than driving and so on. The comparisons are invalid on their face values.

Death by traffic collision is very regional as far as frequency goes. It is also liked to type of vehicle in the collision and so on.

Cars do not drop out of the air and collide with the ground. If you compare like circumstances, cars are exponentially safer to be in that air planes. Then you have professional pilots vs non-professional car drivers so again, the comparisons aren't really valid. Lets compare the chances of being killed in a vehicular accident when a professional driver is at the wheel and then only account for those instance where the vehicle leaves the roadway and impacts the ground.

No matter how you cut it, the comparison isn't valid. The only reason the comparisons like this are used is because if they weren't, the stats would show the risk to be much greater than the manipulation of stats show now.

As always, stats can be used to manipulate information and skew risk in favor of whatever you want.

For the people on this flight, the risk sure didn't work out did it?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and every other major study that
has ever been done on the subject--flying is statistically much, much safer than driving. Unless you know
something they don't, I think I will go with the experts.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
What a bad few years for flying. Seems like we're reading about a new crash every other month or so. Scary and sad.

Very true, the reputation for plane flying is continually taking a beating. Will planes catch a break any time soon?

I sometimes think about plane crashes when I am about to take a trip or hear a friend or family member do so. I shudder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events