U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2015, 01:52 AM
 
9,077 posts, read 5,405,841 times
Reputation: 5974

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And when Warren Buffet, who is against the current tax code and advocates for higher taxes on high wager earners, takes advantage of the tax loopholes in the current system, I say who cares? You can be against something for constitutional, etc., purposes, but still take advantage of legal benefits. It's not his fault that the Congress put itself under the exchanges, something that Mr. Cruz had not say/vote in.

Dude, not even close. Buffet went through the whole tax filing process and discovered it was unfair. Now, if Cruz had also used Obamacare for a period of time and discovered that the thing sucks and spoke up about it, that's one thing.

But he railed against it and then he still signed up for it. That'd be like Buffet saying, "The Oil Industry sucks!! It's bad and I urge you to avoid it like the plague!!" And then proceed to invest millions in XOM.

Basically what's he's saying is that Obamacare is bad but it's good enough for Ted Cruz's family.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2015, 04:33 AM
 
33,139 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Reputation: 28489
Bit of satire=
President Signs Order Making Ted Cruz Ineligible for Obamacare - The New Yorker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 04:50 AM
 
4,230 posts, read 5,739,554 times
Reputation: 10032
If Mr. Cruz and Mrs. Clinton are all this country has to offer, we're in pretty bad shape for the next election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 AM
 
937 posts, read 997,107 times
Reputation: 1408
"Why are the MSM freaking out over this?"


uh... maybe bec he is a bleeping hypocrite.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ted Cruz going on Obamacare - CNN.com



Why are the MSM freaking out over this? Yes, Cruz is against this, but should he go without the cheapest option (when you count the lawmaker subsidies) available to him and his family under the law regardless? The freak out excitement by the left is almost akin to being shocked that people who are against the current tax code (and who have tried to get it repealed) are paying taxes/taking advantage of loopholes allowed under the law. For a similar reason, I'm not upset with Warren Buffet for taking advantage of tax loopholes, though he also calls for higher taxes on the wealthy.

Also, keep in mind that this shift is the result of his wife suspending her employment with Goldman Sachs (he had health insurance through her job previously) for the duration of his campaign, which I don't think will last very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
7,293 posts, read 3,974,330 times
Reputation: 5900
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Dude, not even close. Buffet went through the whole tax filing process and discovered it was unfair. Now, if Cruz had also used Obamacare for a period of time and discovered that the thing sucks and spoke up about it, that's one thing.

But he railed against it and then he still signed up for it. That'd be like Buffet saying, "The Oil Industry sucks!! It's bad and I urge you to avoid it like the plague!!" And then proceed to invest millions in XOM.

Basically what's he's saying is that Obamacare is bad but it's good enough for Ted Cruz's family.
.

Cruz should leave his family uninsured to prove a point?
Buffett's company owes over a billion dollars in back taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,865 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Reputation: 32615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Cruz should leave his family uninsured to prove a point?
Buffett's company owes over a billion dollars in back taxes.

Maybe not but it would appear from the last speech I heard him make to his supporters that he was perfectly willing to leave other families uninsured by promising to repeal the ACA should he become President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
7,293 posts, read 3,974,330 times
Reputation: 5900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Maybe not but it would appear from the last speech I heard him make to his supporters that he was perfectly willing to leave other families uninsured by promising to repeal the ACA should he become President.
It's "repeal and replace."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
5,585 posts, read 5,513,487 times
Reputation: 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Cruz should leave his family uninsured to prove a point?
Buffett's company owes over a billion dollars in back taxes.
Geez, I can't believe even a right winger will defend a move like this........well then again I can.

Can't Cruz get an individual plan outside of Obamacare? Is he or a family member uninsurable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
9,809 posts, read 15,908,134 times
Reputation: 6211
It is my understanding that the Cruz family has too high an income to qualify for subsidies under ACA. He is free to shop the ACA marketplace, use a private insurance broker (where plans meeting the ACA are sold) or use COBRA under his wife's health insurance. His choice.

Keep in mind the fact that if he or a family had a health condition they may not have been able to purchase any health insurance prior to ACA.

It is so easy for individuals in good health with substantial income to cry 'go let them eat cake' when it comes to health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 06:09 PM
 
6,461 posts, read 6,099,147 times
Reputation: 9778
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And when Warren Buffet, who is against the current tax code and advocates for higher taxes on high wager earners, takes advantage of the tax loopholes in the current system, I say who cares? You can be against something for constitutional, etc., purposes, but still take advantage of legal benefits. It's not his fault that the Congress put itself under the exchanges, something that Mr. Cruz had not say/vote in.
Yes, this. I don't see the big deal. Lots of people are unhappy with something and want to change it but still do it. I pay all of my taxes and I hate it. Let's change that please. I have car insurance and I think it's the biggest rip off ever. I've got a list a mile long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top