U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,103,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Geez, I can't believe even a right winger will defend a move like this........well then again I can.

Can't Cruz get an individual plan outside of Obamacare? Is he or a family member uninsurable?
I'm not a right winger and I defend him. It's the insurance that His workplace uses. Big whoop.

There are many many reasons to be unhappy with him. This is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obamacare is legislation, not healthcare. He was covered by his wife's employer's large group healthcare plan that complied with Obamacare.The media previously valued their employer sponsored premium at about $20,000, per year.

That he is going to buy insurance suggests his wife either took an extended leave of absence or quit her job ( not a bad idea considering she worked for Goldman Sachs) which enables him to buy insurance outside the open enrollment window. They could have used COBRA- wife's employer's plan without her employer subsidy.

Instead, he intends to buy a plan subsidized by his employer, the Federal Government.

Regardless of who subsidizes the plan, he's has been enrolled in Obamacare, since it went into effect.

Why media would make a fuss over this is beyond me.
Exactly. Weird. Challenge his ideas and what he espouses.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:33 PM

9,811 posts, read 15,915,455 times
Congress exempted themselves from the Federal employee's health insurance program, they enroll in ACA. Any subsidy is determined by their income, the same as everyone else.

Cruz was covered by his wife's employer's health insurance program. Doubtless his wife's employer subsidized that insurance for their employees and employee families. Once she quit the options were COBRA or purchase a policy. Her loosing her job and health insurance is an 'event' that qualifies them to purchase a policy outside of the normal enrollment period.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:38 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,444,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ted Cruz going on Obamacare - CNN.com

Why are the MSM freaking out over this? Yes, Cruz is against this, but should he go without the cheapest option (when you count the lawmaker subsidies) available to him and his family under the law regardless? The freak out excitement by the left is almost akin to being shocked that people who are against the current tax code (and who have tried to get it repealed) are paying taxes/taking advantage of loopholes allowed under the law. For a similar reason, I'm not upset with Warren Buffet for taking advantage of tax loopholes, though he also calls for higher taxes on the wealthy.

Also, keep in mind that this shift is the result of his wife suspending her employment with Goldman Sachs (he had health insurance through her job previously) for the duration of his campaign, which I don't think will last very long.

Yes, he absolutely should go without. To benefit from something that you protest makes you a HYPOCRITE.

He would certainly get more respect if he went without and paid the fine. And it's not like to do so would be a huge financial suffering relative to his income, even if a large medical bill came in to be paid.

Buffet ain't running for president. Big difference but he is also a hypocrite if that makes you feel better.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 AM

48 posts, read 37,556 times
If Cruz had been denied coverage for pre-existing conditions, or perhaps found himself unable to afford insurance, I suspect it would help him comprehend why healthcare is important to people. To all the people who keep insisting there are better ways than ACA to get this done, I wonder what these fabled better ways accomplished before ACA.

It is hard for a well fed human to truly understand the life of a malnourished human. Likewise, if your health is secured, I guess it helps you to pontificate about medicaid expansion and ACA without regard to the human toll. Sad state of affairs that millions suffer from lack of basic healthcare.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:31 AM

11,759 posts, read 5,212,240 times
I am afraid some of you are missing the point. Mr. Cruz's is all about the purity of his ideology. He says that all the time himself. He says over and over how he is going to "repeal ever word of Obamacare." If he has an easy way out (a.k.a. COBRA vis-a-vis rich enough to pay without employer subsidy), why does he open the door to attacks from other crazies? Ain't so pure no mo. He utilizes the Exchange to buy insurance (presumably because it confers benefits to him and his family). So why is he trying to take that away from other folks who don't have any other alternative? If that's not hypocrisy . . . . I'd like to introduce you to some Catholic priests (I know, a low blow - I am just kidding).

Oh, and on top of that, he is "not accepting any subsidy". Wut? Doesn't make sense on so many levels, but whatevs.

If a politician is absolutely against food stamps and votes to reduce such benefits, but he accepts food stamps for his family when he goes bankrupt thanks to Uncle Madoff, is he a hypocrite? Can't blame him at all for accepting the food stamps to prevent his family from going hungry, but I can blame him to his lack of empathy for the less fortunate. And yes he is fairly characterized as a hypocrite. I bet you after this period of indignity, he will be a bit more understanding and compassionate. . . . jeez.

Mick

Old 03-28-2015, 12:19 PM

9,811 posts, read 15,915,455 times
I read recently that members of Congress are offered ACA insurance not the policies offered other Federal employees, don't get subsidies via ACA, BUT THEY DO RECEIVE SUBSIDIES FOR THOSE POLICIES AT THE SAME LEVEL AS OTHER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES HEALTH INSURANCE IRRESPECTIVE OF INCOME.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I am afraid some of you are missing the point. Mr. Cruz's is all about the purity of his ideology. He says that all the time himself. He says over and over how he is going to "repeal ever word of Obamacare." If he has an easy way out (a.k.a. COBRA vis-a-vis rich enough to pay without employer subsidy), why does he open the door to attacks from other crazies? Ain't so pure no mo. He utilizes the Exchange to buy insurance (presumably because it confers benefits to him and his family). So why is he trying to take that away from other folks who don't have any other alternative? If that's not hypocrisy . . . . I'd like to introduce you to some Catholic priests (I know, a low blow - I am just kidding).

Oh, and on top of that, he is "not accepting any subsidy". Wut? Doesn't make sense on so many levels, but whatevs.

If a politician is absolutely against food stamps and votes to reduce such benefits, but he accepts food stamps for his family when he goes bankrupt thanks to Uncle Madoff, is he a hypocrite? Can't blame him at all for accepting the food stamps to prevent his family from going hungry, but I can blame him to his lack of empathy for the less fortunate. And yes he is fairly characterized as a hypocrite. I bet you after this period of indignity, he will be a bit more understanding and compassionate. . . . jeez.

Mick
It's not the law that you have to have food stamps. It is currently the law that you have health care. He is using the health care his job uses.

You could list at least 100 reasons not to like his politics and decisions, but this is not a big deal. Make a big deal about how he votes, what he wants to do, and what he espouses.

It's like when some people crucified Obama over his father and the birth certificate. It was no big deal too.

It's much to do about nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or