Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times

Advertisements

As a kid, it was pretty common for local municipalities to require a cop to be 6' or taller with a min weight requirement, pass a comprehensive civil servant exam, go through a police academy, and then work with a partner. Very few people would screw with cops, and it was pretty rare (in most location) the cops screwed with you unless you were "regular." And before you jump on me, I acknowledge there were bad cops back then too, but between partners and size and competence requirements, in general, it was a more professional force.

Fast forward to today, and it's rare for police to travel in twos, the exams have been dumbed down, or points are arbitrarily awarded on race, gender, or some other diversity requirement, and size requirements went away a long time ago.

We now have smaller, less compentent police than a generatiopn ago (but they do look like America in every demographic representation ), and they typically have to work alone adding to their (legitimate) concern for their own safety.

Assuming the story is correct (and I have NO confidence in reporters to be honest in reporting about police matters), this is murder; however, at the very least, the diversity requirements to meet gender quota's are part of the problem with increasing police violence. If a cop does not feel safe or in control, bad decisions are made, like this one, and a 5'6" 130 pound female is going to feel threatened more frequently and in more situations than a 6' 200 pound male.

And no, I am not a mysoginist, racist, or religious bigot. If you are 6' or larger, 180 or heavier, can pass the exams without any "corrective" points, pass a phsyc eval, and can pass a police academy, there should be no OTHER bariers to your being a cop, but size, intellect, and phsyc stability should not be waived for the gods of diversity. It is dangerous for the cops, and dangerous for the populous IMO.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 03-25-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 04:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Do any of you really expect the police officer to say "yes, I shot the motorist by accident"?! Sheist, I probably have 5 times as much compassion as she does and I would probably lie about it if there were no witnesses. I mean... the motorist is dead, right? Can't bring him back. I'll atone some other way than to spend several years being abused in a State Prison. People are saying the guy should have just showed her his hands as if that isn't what he was going to do! Lying on the ground it is impossible for anyone to get a gun out of their pocket, aim and fire and hit a trained LEO that is in a superior fire position above them. Impossible. It is hard enough for trained LEO to hit assailants with more than 3 of 10 bullets fired! Handguns, the kind that a person might have in a pocket aren't all that accurate! She didn't need to shoot him. She didn't need to shoot him.

H

Edit: wait a minute... did anyone even ask if the guy had a gun? Did he?

Old 03-25-2015, 04:38 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
The police don't get to murder due to hurt feelings.

Thank you. They're human too. Many might not agree and think they are GOD'S, but nope, they're human too.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Do any of you really expect the police officer to say "yes, I shot the motorist by accident"?! Sheist, I probably have 5 times as much compassion as she does and I would probably lie about it if there were no witnesses. I mean... the motorist is dead, right? Can't bring him back. I'll atone some other way than to spend several years being abused in a State Prison. People are saying the guy should have just showed her his hands as if that isn't what he was going to do! Lying on the ground it is impossible for anyone to get a gun out of their pocket, aim and fire and hit a trained LEO that is in a superior fire position above them. Impossible. It is hard enough for trained LEO to hit assailants with more than 3 of 10 bullets fired! Handguns, the kind that a person might have in a pocket aren't all that accurate! She didn't need to shoot him. She didn't need to shoot him.

H

Edit: wait a minute... did anyone even ask if the guy had a gun? Did he?
People without common sense who think the police in this country can't do anything wrong, won't agree with you! I agree with you though! I'm sick to death of cops jumping the gun and shooting folk.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepOnKrunkin' View Post
We weren't there. There doesn't appear to be video footage of the shooting. I highly doubt she cold-blooded murdered the guy. Unless he was black - then she no doubt had been planning this for years.
There is video of the shooting. I guess everybody knows that by now which is why this thread has been abandoned like the Titanic. I've also learned that the shootee was white. Hey, unarmed white men lying in snow shouldn't get shot in the back by cops either. Cops have a reasonable right to self-preservation but I cannot agree that this should come at the expense of the citizenry! In a very similar shooting in Oakland, CA a black man was shot and killed by an officer who momentarily confused his taser and his gun. I'm thinking this woman did the same thing. He got off light with 292 days in prison. Lets see what kind of sentence this woman gets. Should be instructive I think. I think its safe to say her days as a LEO are over, the cop in Oakland is still trying to get his conviction dismissed so he can return to police work.

H

Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There is video of the shooting. I guess everybody knows that by now which is why this thread has been abandoned like the Titanic. I've also learned that the shootee was white. Hey, unarmed white men lying in snow shouldn't get shot in the back by cops either. Cops have a reasonable right to self-preservation but I cannot agree that this should come at the expense of the citizenry! In a very similar shooting in Oakland, CA a black man was shot and killed by an officer who momentarily confused his taser and his gun. I'm thinking this woman did the same thing. He got off light with 292 days in prison. Lets see what kind of sentence this woman gets. Should be instructive I think. I think its safe to say her days as a LEO are over, the cop in Oakland is still trying to get his conviction dismissed so he can return to police work.

H
They don't want to acknowledge what many Americans already know.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:52 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
This happened in our town. I know the guy didn't stop when she tried to pull him over, he took off and drove home. She followed and he got out of his car and started running.

To me, that is suspicious activity. I can almost understand him driving home - where she stopped him and where his house was weren't that far apart and the roads there are VERY narrow. But once home, why not just respond to the officer? Why the need to run and act like you are guilty for something?

Yeah, I'm kind of on the side of this officer until I hear otherwise.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
More anti-cop, chest puffing going on here on C-D. This is getting ridiculous.

Hey, slowdude222... would you like me to post all the assaults on officers that occur? We can look at the numbers and Im sure youll see how one-sided it will be. There would be no need for police violence/self-defense if people would stop resisting arrest and, in general, grow up and act like adults.

Quit whining and lets see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events