Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:02 PM

50,130 posts, read 35,782,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Gay marriage being legal is new??? Gay marriage was totally illegal 40 years ago when she started her business - and, for most of the time her business existed.

Her business should be grandfathered in, as it were. There are hundreds of florists in the area, and the sueing couple recieved their floral arrangements for free (if I understood the video correctly), so I dont see how a reasonable court could honor their law-suit. Where are their damages??

How much more selfish, hateful and stupid can people be??

Should we reward this gay couple in their effort to make an old lady homeless?? I hope the taxpayers of Washington state dont mind supporting her for the rest of her life, as well as all the others that think like her. She doesnt hate gay people - but draws the line at marriage.

I guess there are a lot of young folks that dont know, or dont remember the violence that went along with bringing their lifestyle out of the closet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoMvd4qa4ZM#t=15
Yes, and when the Knife and Fork Inn in Atlantic City started, discrimination against blacks was totally legal, too...should they be "grandfathered in" and allowed to refuse to serve blacks???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,133,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
LOL. There's no 'grandfathering' exemptions of civil rights laws. Whitey's Dixie Wizard Diner doesn't get to keep a "coloreds only" bathroom because it's been open since the 1950s.
LOL, nice try but doesnt even compare - how do you see someone's sexual preference by simply looking at them?

Guns and other things have been grandfathered in when laws regarding them change. It can easily apply to an elderly florist's shop too.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:03 PM

244 posts, read 246,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Welcome to the new America where you either tow the homosexual line or you go to jail.
"Homosexual line" violators go to jail? Do we have any case law on that yet?

And what's the "homosexual line" anyway? Sounds nefarious! Whatever it is, seems like it should be visible from space the way some people carry on about it.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,454,189 times
Quote:
LOL, nice try but doesnt even compare - how do you see someone's sexual preference by simply looking at them?
Doesn't matter what my personal opinion is... it's the law, and there's no loophole just because you're old. It's also bad business... I don't care for idiots but I'll gladly take their money.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 PM

5,774 posts, read 5,058,429 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter what my personal opinion is... it's the law, and there's no loophole just because you're old.
"AGGGHHHHH! You mean no exemptions for us geezers!!!! Darn them gay rascals!" Hahahaha!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter what my personal opinion is... it's the law, and there's no loophole just because you're old. It's also bad business... I don't care for idiots but I'll gladly take their money.
Yep - they were given their floral arrangements for free. I guess someone anticipates more business coming from that gesture. Good for them! Its good for business.

No loopholes, LOL? Dont be silly. Laws are always filled with loopholes. All a President has to do to start a 'conflict' is to circumvent Congress, and call it a police action - as just 1 example. He gets his war, with no Articles of War being necessary.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:14 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,454,189 times
There are few, if any loopholes for civil rights laws. Maybe she could have played the dementia card, that is the only one I could think of. Her fine was only $2K .I don't really know what she's complaining about. Seems like a small price to pay to demonstrate the strength of one's beliefs.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:17 PM

It was $ 1,001. But to pay is akin to an admission of wrong doing. But, I guess religous freedom needs to give way to sexual preference.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
Basically people of faith and long accepted such things. the fact is no one can actually be forced to support sin as always. Ignorig laws is just fact now days if one looks at reality.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:25 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,860,679 times
Quote:
Gay marriage being legal is new??? Gay marriage was totally illegal 40 years ago when she started her business - and, for most of the time her business existed.

Her business should be grandfathered in, as it were.
There are hundreds of florists in the area, and the sueing couple recieved their floral arrangements for free (if I understood the video correctly), so I dont see how a reasonable court could honor their law-suit. Where are their damages??

How much more selfish, hateful and stupid can people be??
I agree. The florist is a great example of that. How dare she not be happy for the gay couple, instead choosing to judge their love based on her view of morality? After all, she has no way of knowing if her religion (or any religion) is the right one.

Quote:
Should we reward this gay couple in their effort to make an old lady homeless?? I hope the taxpayers of Washington state dont mind supporting her for the rest of her life, as well as all the others that think like her. She doesnt hate gay people - but draws the line at marriage.

I guess there are a lot of young folks that dont know, or dont remember the violence that went along with bringing their lifestyle out of the closet.
You can't be serious. According to your ridiculous argument, she could refuse to service interracial couples if she started her business in 1953, because in 1953, racial segregation was still legal. Legal does not always equal ethical. Discrimination is not OK, no matter what form it takes. Of course racism is not considered acceptable today, but homophobia is still OK to some people (especially on this thread). As for the religious angle, I find it oddly coincidental that the religious people's silent invisible God always hates the same people they do. Even more strangely, the people they hate are always people unlike themselves

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 03-28-2015 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events