Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well ANY OPEN BUSINESS can refuse to sell to ANYONE and no one can say anything of it........ (IT IS THIER BUSINESS)

But in cases like this IT DOES SEEM LIKE DISCRIMINATION and they really should avoid doing it!!
No. That is incorrect. You can bang on those caps all day long, but that doesn't make you right. There are laws against discrimination in the United States of America. Civil rights violations are serious breaches of the law and come with serious repercussions. You need to do a little research before you repeat such fallacious statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
That is not true. Private enterprises that are open to the public and sell to the public cannot discriminate against a whole class of people. A restaurant cannot refuse to serve black people, for example.
A LICENSED restaurant cannot refuse to serve black people.
(FYI - all the "civil rights" protests of the 1960s were targeting LICENSED entities who discriminated - common carriers / buses - restaurants - etc.)
. . .

You might be surprised to learn of the endowed rights that are never mentioned in the (m)ass media.
>> Natural liberty
>> Personal liberty
>> Natural rights

There is no American Natural Liberties Union to advocate for such rights.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:54 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A LICENSED restaurant cannot refuse to serve black people.
(FYI - all the "civil rights" protests of the 1960s were targeting LICENSED entities who discriminated - common carriers / buses - restaurants - etc.)
. . .
NO restaurant that serves the public can refuse service to blacks.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:54 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It all boils down to one simple point: It's the LGBT militants who are always looking to pick the fight, then run fawning and whining to Big Brother in order to get their way.

In a society run by those "principles"??, no one's property, liberty, or life itself is safe -- if they offend the Powers that Be, who have determined their behavior to be Politically Incorrect.

What part of this can't anyone understand?
What I understand is that the 15th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States says, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

There's no "except" after that. It's what caused the Supreme Court to strike down laws prohibiting interracial marriage and I suspect it's also what will eventually eliminate any remaining laws against gay marriage as well as silly laws like the one Gov. Pence just signed in Indiana. You know which one I mean ... the one that will probably kill Indiana's tourist industry and quite a few local businesses before it is erased from the books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Protection_Clause

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 03-29-2015 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You act like a Biblical scholar. Where in the New Testament is all of this damnation for divorced folk?

Corinthians 7:10 - 7:11
But for those who are married, I have a command that comes not from me, but from the Lord. A wife must not leave her husband.

But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

Corinthians 7:39
A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:54 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
^^^^^
If the manual tells you something stupid, it might be wise to get a new manual....not start defending stupidity.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Free market... not government law...
People should be able to sell..or not... to anyone they choose
People should be able to buy ..or not from anyone they choose

People who discriminate will have less business... people who do not will have more

I'm amazed how many people on here rail at the law but roll over immediately for the government stepping in and ordering you to run your private business only in the manner prescribed

Old 03-29-2015, 05:59 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Welcome to the new America where you either tow the homosexual line or you go to jail.
Okay, if I start a business and deny service to Evangelical Christians will I be considered a bigot?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 AM

428 posts, read 643,290 times
The old fool chose to risk her livelihood because of her belief in her invisible friend.
Yawn.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:21 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Free market... not government law...
People should be able to sell..or not... to anyone they choose
People should be able to buy ..or not from anyone they choose

People who discriminate will have less business... people who do not will have more

I'm amazed how many people on here rail at the law but roll over immediately for the government stepping in and ordering you to run your private business only in the manner prescribed
That's the way I see it as well. If some one does not want to serve me for whatever reason, why would I want to force them do it? Ill go give my money to some one that does. If you force people to serve you, they will do crappy work, and you will be unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events