Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,735,719 times

Advertisements

Lol, that is France, don't forget. Just ask Brigitte Bardot, who's been fined, threatened with imprisonment, and has generally been fighting with her own country for decades for expressing her opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 04:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,221,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Eff it! Shouldnt every single thing be off limits?

(those cakes really do look in bad taste though)
I thought so too until I read they had oversized genitals and then I thought...naaaah.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM

77,855 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OK. I did agree completely with you in the first part of your post. If by older, you mean all baby boomers and some Gen Y, I agree.

As far as younger people, I agree with about 1/4 th of what you said.

There are more non white young people who are not as easy going about whites as were there predecessors. They are vigilant and sensitive to slights and injustices.

But, how can you blame them? After all of these years, black people have endured white presidents and some pretty nasty ones, in terms of race.

We have our first black president and he's been treated like junk by 3/4s of the non Democratic white electorate. No president has been treated this way. None.

I agree that morality is at the heart of the problem.

However, people, individuals and groups of people, get tired of being marginalized and abused.

I think, and I am WHITE, that the first move has to come from the dominant race. That would be my race.

Whites need to stop saying that racism does not exist in the US. We all know it does.
That might be a first start.

PS. I have you one rep point because I pretty much agreed with you.
No offense but Clinton got impeached.

Obama hasn't gotten any more BS than the guys that went before him. Politics is a dirty, ugly business. They went after McCain and Reagan over their age....they claimed the Clintons had a hit list and killed 100 people that got in their way....they claimed Bush had the national guard murder thousands of blacks from new Orleans and bury them in a swamp and blew up the levees to mass-murder blacks. (From a democratic Senator no less).....there is just plenty of crazy to go around.

I think the part you are missing is that "white" is going away pretty quickly. I mean, what do you call my buddies kids that are 1/4 Swedish, 1/4 Indian, 1/4 Native American, 1/4 Hispanic?

Also, when you have minority groups fast becoming the "majority" in totality they don't all get along and they've all been oppressed (just like a lot of whites have depending upon your historical timeframe). You don't necessarily see the sensitivity you display.

I'm talking about intra-minority racism, it's the growing problem as the old white folks die off.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,881,116 times
I'm trying to figure out what these cakes are supposed to resemble. Never mind the supposed obscenity factor (or lack thereof). They neither look particularly appetizing nor are they a tribute to the baker's artistic skill, IMO. So why would a person buy them or even care that they exist?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,508,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am a conservative and I detest political correctness. Do those of us who oppose PC have a so called "sacred cow"? No I don't think so. Anyone who believes in freedom of speech should accept that everyone has the right to express their views. Now if those views are repugnant then those expressing them may be shunned by people who hear it. What should never happen is any kind of government action against them for it, nor should a corporation be able to fire them from their job for it. Government action would violate the constitution, should never happen. Hate speech laws are an example of this kind of thing. Also corporate action against employees who are off the clock should be protected. This may not be part of our constitution as corporations are not government but private entities, but their actions to silence those who say things they do not approve of is another way of enforcing political correctness. Liberal activist groups have learned that corporations fear boycotts and court action so its much easier for the employers to cave into them and promote whatever agenda the threatening special interest group promotes. This includes things like special rights for homosexuals, promoting certain ethic groups, womens groups etc. Employees have been fired for speaking publically or on the internet against these interest groups. We need laws to protect this speech, as it has been exposed as a hole in our right to speak freely.

Personally I do not like insulting statements against God, nor do I like hearing rants against white European people. I also really hate Nazi symbols, those people were the most evil force ever to exist on this planet. Seeing Americans support Nazi ideology or display their swastikas makes me sick. Its also highly insulting to our grandparents generation that sacrificed so much to stop those evil barbarians. However as a freedom loving American I would gladly go to war to protect the right of those atheist and racist to speak freely. I feel the same way about KKK rallies or even Nazi rallies. Those people are total idiots, but as a free and educated society we need to let them speak, then we reject their stupidity. If they can go to jail, be fined, or lose their jobs they do not really have the right to speak. The age of political correctness had led to an environment where people are now willing to pass laws enforcing it. This is dangerous and its a path to dictatorship. Its a sad sign that Orwells 1984 is coming true, just 3 decades late. The "thought police" and modern PC and hate speech laws are very similar.
the first amendment does protect us from government action. that goes without saying. but as a conservative, do you believe in "right to work" laws. union busting? it is the right of most businesses and corporations to fire who ever they like for whatever reason they like. a boycott is a big deal. companies can lose a lot of money. and it is people's right to boycott whatever they like. i don't see what is un american about any of this.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
You asked a question that I posted my opinioned answer to. Should things be shunned?

I feel education would correct any misgivings over time - as nothing is instant when it comes to changing minds.

As to your current question, I cant tell you what is untouchable. It would seem to me, to be genuinely fair to everyone, noone should be touchable, as I original said in my first post on your thread.

I will trouble your thread no longer. Peace.
thank you.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
"Political correctness" and legal consequences are not the same thing. Political correctness involves societal acceptance of an idea, not its legal status. The example posted in the OP is of a case where there something has been deemed illegal. That is not the same as something being politically incorrect.

I think that shop should be shamed publicly by people, but I do not think there should be laws banning racism. That is France, not the US, however.

In other words, this example posted has nothing to do with political correctness.
i am aware that the article in my op is from france and that they have different laws regarding this issue. i posted this thread in reaction to some of the commentary coming from americans regarding this story. i should have used an example from the US. I can see where it is confusing, but i never meant to discuss the legal side of this story.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Californian34, France does not have the 1st amendment! What happened here did not happen in America. But if it did personally I wouldn't have an issue with it.
perhaps it was a bad example. i know that france has totally different laws and ideas. i wasn't really inquiring about the legal side of it all, but wanting to delve into the idea of being un-PC.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Shunning would just be practicing your freedom to associate, wouldn't it? Should I not shun a gangster or child molester because they have the freedom to commit their crimes of choice? And yes, everyone has the freedom to do good or evil, it's called free will. But there is a consequence.

i agree. but those who are against "political correctness" have a problem with people being shunned, fired, ostracized for their words/actions if their words/actions are aimed at certain groups or ideas they deem to be too sensitive.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The face of racism is changing with American demographics.

I've read several studies that the worst racists in the US are old white people.

Agree with me so far?

What you might find disturbing though is when you get to younger people and then the color of racism starts to go non-white.

Mortality is solving the first problem.

What's going to solve the other?
separation? i'm joking and i am not. the backlash that blacks have received since President Obama was elected has convince me even more that it is important for middle class, upper middle class, and rich black people to form alliances, physical not just figurative communities and institutions that will insure a future for our children. something that will endure no matter who our enemies are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events