Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,903,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm perplexed by your commentary. What does firing felons have to do with LGBT rights?
That was my first thought. It seems like OP is trying to hijack his/her own thread Then when I read the article, I found out the construction crew wasn't directly employed by Apple, thus wasn't fired by them. So what exactly is OP's point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:15 AM

4,495 posts, read 4,569,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
most people are working in construction because they have felony convictions on their record.
Over 50% of people who work in construction are convicted felons? That's quite a lot of people. Can you please cite your source? I would like to see that stat and see where it's coming from. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,279,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
According to the article DPR, the contractor, fired then. The only connection to Apple is that they were working on the Apple campus. Apple is not their boss, DPR is. Apple hired DPR to do a job. From the OPs link. Apple does not own DPR as far as I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Quite possibly the worst thread I've seen in awhile. Apple had nothing to do with this. This also has nothing to do with LGBT. Swing and a miss OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That was my first thought. It seems like OP is trying to hijack his/her own thread Then when I read the article, I found out the construction crew wasn't directly employed by Apple, thus wasn't fired by them. So what exactly is OP's point?
It is Apple's policy that no felons be on the property that Apple owns. That is the "owner" mentioned in the CBS story. Here is the SJ Mercury News article.

Apple's ban on felons for construction project draws criticism - San Jose Mercury News

Here is the Chronicle article.

Felons barred from constructing Apple

It is clearly Apple's policy, not the construction company's.

I think the tie in that the OP is going for is that Apple is portraying themselves as a corporation for social justice, but are shockingly insensitive when it comes to felons looking for a second chance, especially in cases where the felony is no threat to Apple's business.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,155,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It is Apple's policy that no felons be on the property that Apple owns. That is the "owner" mentioned in the CBS story. Here is the SJ Mercury News article.

Apple's ban on felons for construction project draws criticism - San Jose Mercury News

Here is the Chronicle article.

It is clearly Apple's policy, not the construction company's.

I think the tie in that the OP is going for is that Apple is portraying themselves as a corporation for social justice, but are shockingly insensitive when it comes to felons looking for a second chance, especially in cases where the felony is no threat to Apple's business.
Quote:
They have been in discussions with DPR, the firm overseeing Apple’s new campus, but DPR has not agreed to change the policy.
DPR and Skanska, which also is working on the project, did not return requests for comment. Apple declined to comment on the terminations or confirm that it bars workers with a felony record.

So, someone says there is a policy, but there is no link to this policy. Apple has not confirmed this policy, and the people fired do not work for Apple but for the contractor DPR.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Would have easier to hit them for using Chinese sweatshops to build their relatively expensive products instead of using US workers paid a living wage, as Apple once did.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,155,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Would have easier to hit them for using Chinese sweatshops to build their relatively expensive products instead of using US workers paid a living wage, as Apple once did.
Yeah, but who wants to pay $6,000 for a computer?

The original Macintosh sold for $2,495 in 84. That would be almost $6,000 today.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 AM

506 posts, read 424,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yeah, but who wants to pay $6,000 for a computer?

The original Macintosh sold for $2,495 in 84. That would be almost $6,000 today.
They build them in sweatshops so the bosses can put more cash in their pockets, not to keep the prices down for the consumers.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,454,646 times
Would the Apple "sweatshop employees" be better off with a job outside of FoxConn in China?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:04 PM

506 posts, read 424,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Would the Apple "sweatshop employees" be better off with a job outside of FoxConn in China?
Do you mean in Taipei?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,454,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Do you mean in Taipei?
Isn't Taipei part of China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events