U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 AM

8,841 posts, read 5,126,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Oooohh I bet Indiana is quaking in it's boots. What exactly is Illinois going to do? Raise taxes again? Enact a few more gun control laws? Indiana is DOOMED I tell you!
Lol. I agree, the quote sounds so ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,444,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And how would you feel if a group of Evangelicals went into a gay bar (by law, a place of public accomodation -- probably moreso than a bridal salon or bakery) and began proselytizing and passing out Bible tracts ??

From my view, the principle here is the same as the small-business harrassment currently being forced on others by the LGBT militants.
They already can go to gay bars. They would not be denied entrance, but they would be thrown out if they were disruptive. Just like any one who was disruptive.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 AM

506 posts, read 342,464 times
Quote:
And how would you feel if a group of Evangelicals went into a gay bar (by law, a place of public accomodation -- probably moreso than a bridal salon or bakery) and began proselytizing and passing out Bible tracts ??

From my view, the principle here is the same as the small-business harrassment currently being forced on others by the LGBT militants.
Maybe you don't understand, but gay people just want to walk into a bakery a buy a stupid cake, not have a discussion about the merits of being gay, while handing out literature on the subject.

I don't hang out in gay bars, so I would not care about a group of Evangelical morons walking into a gay bar to pass out their trash material, but most businesses do not allow any group to solicit their customers. It does not bother me in the least if some religious moron wants to tell me about whatever stupid things they believe.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM

506 posts, read 342,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They already can go to gay bars. They would not be denied entrance, but they would be thrown out if they were disruptive. Just like any one who was disruptive.
I wonder why these "Christians" are so interested in spending so much time in gay bars, speaking with gay people about being gay.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 AM

29,399 posts, read 15,431,835 times
Quote:
What exactly is Illinois going to do? Raise taxes again?
Probably. lol

Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 AM

2,903 posts, read 2,779,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This takes the neighborly rivalry one step further.

Illinois governor: I want to

It's also interesting he had this to say, right after the controversy died down.
Controversy? Oh! That one.

It's evident you didn't bother the read the article before posting!

Quote:
The newly elected governor of Indiana's western neighbor told the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune on Monday that he plans to poach Hoosier jobs as part of his state turnaround plan.

"Believe me, I am going to rip try to rip the economic guts out of Indiana," he told the newspaper. "I am one of the baddest, you know, enemies anybody can have. And when I set a goal, we do it. I don't care what the headline is. I want the results. And we're coming after Indiana big time. But you know what, we're going to do it on our terms, the right way."

But Rauner, a Republican who took office in January, dismissed the controversy over Indiana's "religious freedom" bill as a "headline opportunity," rather than a real one.

Rauner's tough talk is part of a long-running feud between the two states. In 2011, the Indiana Economic Development Corp. launched a provocative campaign that targeted Chicago-region businesses with billboards asking if they felt "Illinoyed by higher taxes."
This is about local economics, not "religious freedom," whatever that is..

Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,505,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Maybe you don't understand, but gay people just want to walk into a bakery a buy a stupid cake, not have a discussion about the merits of being gay, while handing out literature on the subject.
Not so; they are far more likely to choose a business known to be inimical to their practices -- then to deliberately provoke a controversy so they can go whining to Big Brother. A lot of people outside the LGBTs' sanctimonious orbit understand this -- perfectly!

Quote:
I don't hang out in gay bars, so I would not care about a group of Evangelical morons walking into a gay bar to pass out their trash material, but most businesses do not allow any group to solicit their customers. It does not bother me in the least if some religious moron wants to tell me about whatever stupid things they believe.
And what if one or two evangelicals simply engaged a patron in conversation? It would appear (admittedly to both viewpoints) that one party's "free exchange of opinion" is another's "conspiracy theory" -- but it verdammt sure seems to be the viewpoint of the Politically Correct that only one side's viewpoint counts with them.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-07-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,325,233 times
Quote:
Scratch a "progressive" Democrat, and you'll find a Fascist thug -- every time.
Quote:
Oooohh I bet Indiana is quaking in it's boots. What exactly is Illinois going to do? Raise taxes again? Enact a few more gun control laws? Indiana is DOOMED I tell you!
The current Governor of Illinois is a Republican.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And of course, in the viewpoint of the Politically Correct, any mention of religious belief is, by definition, "disruptive".

And FWIW, I would have absolutely no problem with that policy, if the establishment in question were a private club. it's the concepts of "public accommodation" and "public convenience and necessity" which allows Big Bother and Sister to stick their noses into a matter where they don't belong to begin with.

Or, as a very wise man said well over a century and a half ago; "The state is the Great Fiction by which everyone tries to have his way .... at the expense of everybody else."

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-07-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The current Governor of Illinois is a Republican.
I'll stand corrected -- but if Mr. Rauner has nom understanding of the necessities of open markets and limited government, he's a RINO (Republican in Name Only).

And BTW, my personal politics are Libertarian; but I have eat to meet any Democrat who can find much common ground with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events