Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy the banjo?
Yeah, its cool. 6 31.58%
Maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 5.26%
no, 1 5.26%
Palm Tree 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM

93 posts, read 177,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Bill O'Reilly's Alleged Lies Now Fill A Book

On Tuesday, progressive watchdog group Media Matters released a 56-page, 6-chapter ebook detailing the many alleged inaccuracies surrounding Bill O'Reilly and his so-called "war reporting" experiences over the years.
The controversy around O'Reilly first began in February when left-leaning political magazine Mother Jones published an article accusing the Fox News host of embellishing the violence he witnessed while covering the Falklands War in 1982 for CBS News. O'Reilly claimed to have "reported on the ground in active war zones" and "survived a combat situation," despite being stationed in the Argentine capital of Buenos Aries some 1,200 miles away from the fighting.
What followed was a deluge of accusations hurled at O'Reilly, with media organizations and former colleagues charging the host with fibbing about everything from his coverage of El Salvador's civil war to witnessing deadly bombings in Northern Ireland to being attacked while reporting on the LA riots to hearing a gunshot ring out at a JFK-related suicide in Florida.......................------>>

Filthy Lucre trumps the truth and journalistic integrity.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,240,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
If Media Matters with help from Mother jones wrote the book it must be true. If you can't trust someone with the name mother who can you trust.
I guess they couldn't find anything more productive to do. I think most of the supposed lies are up to debate and who really cares.
It wasn't really very much work. All the evidence that he's a liar has been out there for years. All they had to do was cut and paste. As for "who cares," a lot of people care when untruths are being broadcast nationwide for the benefit of a minority of citizens.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:40 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
It may be a specific group, but it reinforces what that audience wants to hear instead of challenging them to actually do some research. My grandparents are in this group, maybe not the O'Reilly group but the Fox News group. It's all they watch and just reinforces their views and pushes them farther to the right.

And there are still a lot of people on the fence that can be swayed. Bill O'Reilly's reach is far greater on national TV than a random union rally that might have a posting on FB or Twitter. People have to start somewhere. No one is born with their political beliefs. Most hold onto their parents' beliefs and if Bill O'Reilly is central to that, you now have future voters following in the footsteps listening to lies. I have no doubt that other commentators from conservative to liberal also spread misinformation, but I don't listen to any set person or channel. I try to be balanced which often means looking for the least sensationalized headlines.

Ok, so specifically what lies were told that my have any type of affect on votes?

Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,866,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It wasn't really very much work. All the evidence that he's a liar has been out there for years. All they had to do was cut and paste. As for "who cares," a lot of people care when untruths are being broadcast nationwide for the benefit of a minority of citizens.
Do you feel the same about MSNBC,CNN,NBC,CBS,ABC etc. etc. etc?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,838,709 times
Normally, I watch FoxNews, if I want to see what is going on currently. Used to watch Bill O. but his ego got to me so I stopped. Their other hosts at night are much better. Bill's god is himself. I don't trust a guy who changes the story in the Bible, (Killing Jesus)

Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 PM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post

On Tuesday, progressive watchdog group Media Matters released a 56-page, 6-chapter ebook detailing the many alleged inaccuracies surrounding Bill O'Reilly and his so-called "war reporting" experiences over the years.
The controversy around O'Reilly first began in February when left-leaning political magazine Mother Jones published an article accusing the Fox News host of embellishing the violence he witnessed while covering the Falklands War in 1982 for CBS News. O'Reilly claimed to have "reported on the ground in active war zones" and "survived a combat situation," despite being stationed in the Argentine capital of Buenos Aries some 1,200 miles away from the fighting.
What followed was a deluge of accusations hurled at O'Reilly, with media organizations and former colleagues charging the host with fibbing about everything from his coverage of El Salvador's civil war to witnessing deadly bombings in Northern Ireland to being attacked while reporting on the LA riots to hearing a gunshot ring out at a JFK-related suicide in Florida.......................------>>

How is this Current Events? Isn't it more like Other Controversies?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:39 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,892,058 times
Most pathological and compulsive liars are not even aware that they are lying when they do it. They have such a warped and twisted sense of reality that if they are not called out on their nonsense then their lies eventually in their own minds become the truth.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,881,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Ok, so specifically what lies were told that my have any type of affect on votes?
Lol seriously? You don't think spreading misinformation in any way harms the general public due to voting?
This ebook focuses on the fact that much of his past has been fabricated (like the Brian Williams snafu) to gain credibility. Someone with prolific lies of any kind shouldn't be trusted in newsmedia. Here's a long list. It's the Daily Dot so inspect carefully. Even just a handful of these could influence voters, particularly in local politics.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,844,822 times
Bill Clinton's lies almost got him impeached.

Obama gets cheers and pats on the back when he lies. He even got re-elected after lying about cutting the deficit and ending the wars during his first term. He didn't even make an attempt at those promises.

Bill O'Reilly is really this newsworthy?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:02 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,378,535 times
This sort of thing gives Progressives who loved Brian "the liar" Williams, something to complain about. O'Reilly is not held to the same standard as a network anchor. People have no need to trust a commentator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events