Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
He has a warrant for his attest. Whoi runs from the cops for a tail light that is out, that's ignorant.
I don't want to live in a country where this is a crime punishable by death. This is the USA - not some third world country where lives mean nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I wonder if the people insisting that felony convictions be expunged after good behavior applies in this case too?

Also, since the guy failed to pay child support, he was a dirt bag and thus according to some, he deserved it. Who knows what abuse his kids went through because they didn't have enough money to buy food and clothes etc?

Just applying the same standards as when the shoe is on the other foot.
Any man that has the ability to pay child support and does not - is reprehensible. BUT, this is not a crime punishable by death in our country.

Quote:
It actually does if he had a warrant out for his arrest and that is the reason he fled.,

It's not like he was at church praying and a cop shot him in the back.
So death penalty then? You and I must not live in the same country. This is America - not Afghanistan. No one should be condoning the actions of this officer regardless of whether the victim was an angel in real life.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 AM

622 posts, read 527,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I watched the video
Police are allowed to shoot fleeing felons of the dangerous kind that pose a threat to others
Based SOLELY on the video and without ANY other information this shooting appears outside law .. and any policy that I work under
This officer,,, ex officer,, will be convicted if all we have is solely this video and no other information

Lets follow this one...
Allowed to shoot felons who pose a threat to ohers maybe, but all this guy had clocked up were a few charges for non-payment of maintenance: Walter Scott shot in the back FIVE TIMES by cop Michael Slager in Charleston | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Allowed to shoot felons who pose a threat to ohers maybe, but all this guy had clocked up were a few charges for non-payment of maintenance: Walter Scott shot in the back FIVE TIMES by cop Michael Slager in Charleston | Daily Mail Online
and resisting arrest and trying to flee. It does not condone getting shot to death in the back, I'm just stating a fact that he was not killed while helping an old lady cross the street.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:02 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Black lives do matter. The assassination of Black men must stop.
Simple solution. Don't fight with the police.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:06 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't want to live in a country where this is a crime punishable by death. This is the USA - not some third world country where lives mean nothing.

Any man that has the ability to pay child support and does not - is reprehensible. BUT, this is not a crime punishable by death in our country.

So death penalty then? You and I must not live in the same country. This is America - not Afghanistan. No one should be condoning the actions of this officer regardless of whether the victim was an angel in real life.
You should move to England where cops might not carry guns, or you should be a law abiding citizen and respect cops and face the consequences of any wrongs that you do.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
I keep looking at this video ... many of us watched it in briefing... on its face it is some degree of murder... none of us see anything that is justifiable as a use of deadly force.
The ex officers attorney said officer was following policy... I'm not sure what policy is and will look at it with interest
One body is in the morgue...one is sitting in a cell... currently denied bail... although I imagine at some point he will get it...

Hurts everyone today...
I thought the statement of dead mans brother was most telling
Paraphrased
We don't blame all police ...we blame this officer...

Pretty amazing after what I saw

Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
The problem is he didn't think of the consequences and just reacted and ran.
No. The PROBLEM in this situation is that a murderous cop shot a fleeing man in the back.

The consequence of running away from a cop should not be getting shot in the back. The consequence should be getting apprehended, arrested, charged with evading arrest, tried before a jury, and sentenced within appropriate sentencing guidelines.

I've never seen a more blatant example of blaming the victim in my life.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Quote:
You should move to England where cops might not carry guns, or you should be a law abiding citizen and respect cops and face the consequences of any wrongs that you do.
First, respect is earned. Shooting unarmed fleeing men dead is not how one does so.

Secondly the argument isnt whether the man should have fled, its over whether cops should be able to kill people who are fleeing.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I keep looking at this video ... many of us watched it in briefing... on its face it is some degree of murder... none of us see anything that is justifiable as a use of deadly force.
The ex officers attorney said officer was following policy... I'm not sure what policy is and will look at it with interest
One body is in the morgue...one is sitting in a cell... currently denied bail... although I imagine at some point he will get it...

Hurts everyone today...
I thought the statement of dead mans brother was most telling
Paraphrased
We don't blame all police ...we blame this officer...

Pretty amazing after what I saw
so954, why is it that notmeofficer, a proud cop who works on the street, can see that what happened was murder but you're still blaming the victim and arguing that anyone who breaks a law or is disrespectful to a cop invites being shot in the back?

Honestly, I cannot understand your attitude.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Why does the color of either person matter in this case? Inflame the public and draw eyeballs to the papers/video etc maybe?

Sad that everyone seems to be buying into this hype. Sad for the families,sad for the locals and sad for the good police everywhere.

Let's make it clear to the nation, if as a police officer you shoot someone in the back you better have a fantastic,clear cut reason OR be prepared to stand trial for your actions. As for the meme "black lives matter" well, it's my opinion ALL LIVES MATTER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events