Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 02:27 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times

Advertisements

I completely agree with all of your points in that post except for this part -

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This question takes on an even stronger meaning when we understand that the overwhelming majority of black offenders target black victims (its the same way for every group), yet we don't see black cops gunning down black victims as non-black cops do. The numbers don't lie, but when people read into things that are not warranted, they are guilty of a far worse offense.
We don't really know this to be true - not yet anyway. The data on that will probably start to come out in a year or two but several big departments have released their data on police shootings and, at least this far, it doesn't appear that black cops are any less likely to use their weapons.

That and only about 25% of cops are black so if they're just as likely to draw their weapons as white cops then they're only going to be doing about 25% of the shooting.

This debate is being driven almost entirely by confirmation bias. We only see video of black men being killed by white cops because that's what feeds the fire. The reality though is that half of the people killed by cops so far this year (330 people) are white. In the last few months there have been some pretty egregious examples of black cops killing people. A black cop shot and killed a homeless black man in downtown LA just a few weeks ago in a scuffle with 6 other cops present. Another one happened recently where a black female officer from New Orleans took two shots at the head of a black man (after she turned off her body cam) whom she had a previous altercation with. He survived.

Remember - cops have killed well over 300 people this year and it's only early April. Only a handful of these have been recorded and it's by no means a representative sample.

Out of control cops are a problem for everyone. Pretending that it's only a black problem only addresses the symptoms - not the causes. It also needlessly alienates potential allies.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:29 AM

622 posts, read 527,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Want to put a wager on that?
Yes, let's do that. Try and find a similar situation and then start filming a cop about to shoot someone in the back who's running away away from him. I bet you'll be the next victim.

Law enforcement is paid to apprehend criminals so that they can be brought before the courts, not to kill them just because a cop is too lazy to run after the suspect.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Feared for his life. smh.
And to think, the feared victim in this case didn't even have any loose cigarettes.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times

Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I am a very strong supporter of the police, and, in cases like Ferguson, I feel the cop did the only thing he could. But OMG, in this shooting there was absolutely no reason to unload his weapon into a man who was no threat whatsoever to the cop !

I don't know why, but many blacks are programed to run when confronted with a cop, and if this guy would have complied he would, in all probability, be alive right now. However, that is no excuse for the cop to do what he did.

This one is bad, very bad. (and yes, it sure looks like he dumped the stun gun next to the body as a "throw away" weapon.)

Don

Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
so954 The sad thing is he got himself killed for having a broken taillight and a warrant for failing to pay child support and he tried to take the tazer from the cop.
I agree, I don't get that, why do people do this? Or back mouth a cop? I just don't understand?

Quote:
I'm glad the cop is charged with murder, they need to teach them to shoot not to kill or to let them go like they do when they allow people during a car chase to go so they won't kill innocent people.
I'm glad a cop like this was caught, he is a disgrace to all other cops out there doing a good job, who want to make a difference.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:49 AM

what was he throwing down on the ground?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:58 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what was he throwing down on the ground?
The taser. Note the yellow and black coloring.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:06 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
If you want to live, don't steal a cop's weapon and then start running away. No sympathy here...except for the cop.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The prosecutor will charge the highest they can in this case (I believe) I doubt they will be able to charge or prove premeditated murder... unless they can find evidence of same,, that being said he will also be charged with assault under color of authority...,, they also want to keep the city from burning.. so expect to see swift and appropriate justice... it will be dogpile

The family involved continues to show great restraint

A coast guard veteran,, can it possibly be.. they are both Coasties,,,
Semper Paratus,,,, as you pass over the bar my brother

I am still in complete disbelief ... all of my shift is... we keep saying.. there has to be more... and yet it appears there isnt.. and it appears the worst things occurred...

While this is outside any law or policy.... on its face.... that I act under.. have ever acted under... or ever conceivably I could act under... I will still await a full investigation before I give my full opinion...because this is what any of us should wait for....
I heard, this cop was a Jersey Cop for a while, but don't know where he worked. What I will say, is this....
While it isn't an excuse for his behavior, something has gone amiss in his mind...and depending on where he worked might have caused this. Cops see things that human beings shouldn't see....horrible things....
Many years ago, oh, I'm going back maybe 20 - 30 years, there was a special on TV about Cops in NYC...and how bad it was for them and what they saw and did....every single day of their lives....so, what they did was rotate the police out of the inner cities, b/c they did studies and found that human beings couldn't handle what they saw on a regular basis. It's like when someone goes to war, and is in the front lines....

I'm not saying this is an excuse, what I'm saying is, if this cop worked in say, Camden which is very bad....well...he may have lost it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events