Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 07:41 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
LOL the guy loves cops now because this guy let him go without beating him or writing him a ticket, this is a "the cop just let me go 10 mins ago so i love cops" video.

Also, nowadays, i'm assuming this just happened, cops know that they could be being filmed anywhere anytime...this seemed like a cop who was doing the right thing hoping he was filmed doing the right thing.

Remember now that all these "incidents" seem to be on film, a lot of cops are thinking i better behave because i'm probably on film somehow.
Don't you think it's possible, even probable, that if a black person goes about his business, and if necessary cooperates with police, will be treated just the way everyone else is treated?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:43 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
Mel Steele | Boston Herald

Old 04-11-2015, 11:56 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
IMHO it is criminal to have 4 kids and walk away from that and leave it up to the ex wife to raise them with no financial obligation.
IMO it depends on whether he can and just isn't, or literally can't. I've been medically unemployed since the beginning of the year. As I was self-employed, I had no unemployment or disability to fall back on, and because I was a one man shop my business is ruined. I got cleared a few days ago to go back to work, but I have quite literally not made a dime this year. I'm lucky I don't have any child support obligations, but if I did, I would have been totally, and literally, unable to meet them since the start of 2015.

I'll get a job soon enough, I have a strong resume. But I haven't yet.

Now, to the best of my knowledge we don't know what his financial situation was, if so I haven't seen it, so I am NOT implying he was in the same situation as me. Only that child support "obligations" might be literally financially impossible for some people.

Should he have run? No. Should the cop have shot him in the back? HELL no. But to assume he's a douchebag for being behind in child support is to assume facts not in evidence.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:29 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
IMO it depends on whether he can and just isn't, or literally can't. I've been medically unemployed since the beginning of the year. As I was self-employed, I had no unemployment or disability to fall back on, and because I was a one man shop my business is ruined. I got cleared a few days ago to go back to work, but I have quite literally not made a dime this year. I'm lucky I don't have any child support obligations, but if I did, I would have been totally, and literally, unable to meet them since the start of 2015.

I'll get a job soon enough, I have a strong resume. But I haven't yet.

Now, to the best of my knowledge we don't know what his financial situation was, if so I haven't seen it, so I am NOT implying he was in the same situation as me. Only that child support "obligations" might be literally financially impossible for some people.

Should he have run? No. Should the cop have shot him in the back? HELL no. But to assume he's a douchebag for being behind in child support is to assume facts not in evidence.
Interesting enough, he was actually in the local news before - for his child support issues. One of those highlight a person's struggles articles. He primarily didn't pay child support because he was out of work due to drinking - per his own account. Recently, he got a job as a fork lift operator.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Recently, he got a job as a fork lift operator.
I have NO idea what a forklift operator makes, but I suspect $18k is a SIGNIFICANT percentage of his annual salary. If anyone knows me to be wrong, please let me know. I am very sympathetic to the plight of his children. But if the above information (and my assumption about it) is true, it seems he was in a hole he had no way to dig out of.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:06 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
I have NO idea what a forklift operator makes, but I suspect $18k is a SIGNIFICANT percentage of his annual salary. If anyone knows me to be wrong, please let me know. I am very sympathetic to the plight of his children. But if the above information (and my assumption about it) is true, it seems he was in a hole he had no way to dig out of.
Local news said $800 a month. It was a temp position but he was about to get offered a full time one.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:38 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
With the exception of juries, grand juries, and voters, the rest that you named are all being paid by the corrupt system. They aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them.
"corrupt system". Unless you can make a case for exactly what this means and prove that it exists on a large scale, then you are only offering up opinion. Opinion /= fact.

If you make case that for example The Supreme Ct. is corrupt, then I suggest you find another country that does it better. Move there.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The purpose of democracy is to maintain the status quo. .
This can be said about any government system. If you want revolution, you are going to have to do more than complain. It's nonsense of course. If the status quo never changed, then we'd still have slavery, women couldn't vote, etc etc.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
That isn't an excuse. He brought those 4 kids into the world, he is required to support them. If one job doesn't do it, then get a second one. McDonalds is always hiring.

This wouldn't even be a question for a real Dad.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That isn't an excuse. He brought those 4 kids into the world, he is required to support them. If one job doesn't do it, then get a second one. McDonalds is always hiring.

This wouldn't even be a question for a real Dad.
Depending on one's history, such a thing may be literally impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events