Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:19 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So, they flew her to Hawaii, but refuse to fly her back to CA?
I saw nothing in the article that stated Alaska Airlines was the carrier that brought her to the Aloha state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,328 times
If I get cancer, the last thing that I will do is take chemotherapy. Death is a part of life. Why prolong the inevitable?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
If I get cancer, the last thing that I will do is take chemotherapy. Death is a part of life. Why prolong the inevitable?
Because with chemo, death is often not necessarily imminent.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What I'd like to know is.....HTH did she get there in the first place if she's in such bad shape?
It's not out of the realm of possibility that someone's condition can deteriorate while away from home. The travel over, the time difference, overdoing it trying to see and do everything, drastic change in diet, not sleeping well in an unfamiliar bed, being exposed to other travelers and their germs ... all factors that can wear down a healthy person, not to mention one undergoing cancer treatments. She may have appeared fine on the way over, and looked worse on the way home.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The airline apologized and admitted that the employee made a bad judgment call.

I think that the thread title is a bit misleading. She wasn't "kicked off" and the reason she couldn't fly that day wasn't because she had cancer. The employee made a bad call, but it was because of observable behavior and self reporting from the passenger.

Alaska Airlines even refunded her ticket and transported her the next day. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Alaska, and they are my go to airline unless they don't fly where I wish to go.
The story I saw on tv said she was removed from the flight. That is being "kicked off." I saw part of the video showing the incident, and the attendant was making the whole family leave if they couldn't provide the dr note.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
She was "Removed", Her family could have flown if they wanted to, but they chose to get off with her. (Don't know to many families that would leave one behind, but if there were other adults also, they could take kids "home")

The Plane has to go, they can not hold the plane waiting around for a doctor's note. The note would need to be reviewed by the Airline's contracted Doctor, The Fact the Email note she got was from California Doctor, probably would (and was) rejected by the airline.

One of the first question from the airline's medical staff would be when did you examine her?

(The Fact the doctor is in Calf, and she in Hawaii, would be enough for them to say No, you can't fly until you get cleared by a doctor here.)

Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Good job airline. They have to follow protocol and this woman is no doubt one big pain. What is amazing to me is airlines try to protect the person and they attack the airline. What if she felt faint? Do you feel she should be in the air instead of on the ground with medical personnel in place? It is like you can't win with some people. As I said, good job airline for being cautious with the attorney filled fear driven lives we are all leading. FEAR!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM

569 posts, read 780,028 times
Those of you who think sick people should be let on airplanes never saw this...\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pXFo14Ea28

Old 04-09-2015, 11:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Woman to donate refund after being kicked off Alaska Airlines flight

Woman to donate refund after being kicked off Alaska Airlines... | www.wsbtv.com
Pretty good evidence there that someone at the airline overreacted based on her appearance. She wasn't in a wheelchair, she was able to walk. They kicked her off for wearing a face mask and saying that she'd appreciate early boarding privileges due to feeling a bit weaker than usual due to chemo.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,660,413 times
Ha, she received what she ask for, special attention. Just not in her favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events