Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:31 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,221,930 times

Advertisements

A lot of people with disabilities who could get jobs are afraid to. They often end up with no income at all because they tried to get a job. They get disqualified from disability income because of the job, but they lose the job because of the disability. The government tries to solve that problem with programs designed to solve it. But the government employees tend to be incompetent, and it can take years to correct all the errors, before the person can start receiving disability income again. So a lot of disabled people who could work are afraid to. They're afraid that because they tried to get a job, they could end up being bankrupt and homeless for years, while waiting for government employees to correct errors. To keep that from happening, a lot of them never try to get jobs. Not because they're lazy but because they're afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 11:41 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,136,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Who do you think lobbied to have China included in the WTO selling American workers out?
Considering that the PRC was in negotiations for 15 years prior to joining the WTO, I'm sure there's a laundry list of political and business leaders who were involved.

Quote:
So everyone should kiss the rear of big business that would replace them with someone in India first chance they get?
Some of us have intentionally chosen jobs that can't be offshored.

Quote:
Jealousy?

Jealousy of being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it?

Jealousy of having to put up with corporate drama?

Jealousy of having to drink corporate kool-aide?

I totally want to give up the ability to make my own schedule and be at the office 9-5, and have to ask for time off instead of just deciding I want the day off and taking it.

I totally want to be underpaid a stagnant wage while productivity increases at double digits. I'd have to give up the ability to control how much I earn, and would probably void the plan of being able (but not actually) retiring by 40.

Being someone who did the corporate thing and has an economic/financial background, Americans are fools if they think big business cares.
Methinks I struck a nerve.

On a serious note, I'm sorry that you had such a terrible experience working for someone else, and I'm glad that you have taken the initiative to start your own enterprise. I hope your business is a better place to work than the one that drove you away. But you really shouldn't stereotype all businesses.

Quote:
Americans are fools if they think big business cares.
Americans are fools if they think big business SHOULD care. I don't want my employer to care about me (that's why I have family and friends), in fact, I don't want my employer involved in my personal life at all. I expect my employer to honor the agreement we made when I hired on: that they will pay me the specified wages and provide the specified benefits in exchange for my using their supplied equipment to perform my job function.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:41 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,396,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
There aren't enough jobs for the population of America, so welfare is essential to make sure everyone can eat. I don't think it's fair for a country with so much wealth to just allow people to basically starve.
This is utter BS! I DEFY you or anyone else to show me a place where help wanted signs are not out, but people don't want to WORK when they can get handouts equal to or more than they get paid for sitting home and doing nothing!!!! I can not tell you the number of people who feel "that is beneath me, I refuse to do that" about certain jobs that are looking to hire daily.

WPA was a PERFECT way to handle welfare, and should be re-implemented!

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
A lot of people with disabilities who could get jobs are afraid to. They often end up with no income at all because they tried to get a job. They get disqualified from disability income because of the job, but they lose the job because of the disability. The government tries to solve that problem with programs designed to solve it. But the government employees tend to be incompetent, and it can take years to correct all the errors, before the person can start receiving disability income again. So a lot of disabled people who could work are afraid to. They're afraid that because they tried to get a job, they could end up being bankrupt and homeless for years, while waiting for government employees to correct errors. To keep that from happening, a lot of them never try to get jobs. Not because they're lazy but because they're afraid.

1. There are plenty of people with disabilities who have jobs. My best friend was injured such that he could no longer drive a truck, so he became an assistant manager at a grocery store and will be a store manager in a few more years. When one of our mechanics lost the use of one of his legs, he asked to be trained to work in the dispatch office - and he does a bang-up job. I know a guy who lost both of his legs at the knee in Vietnam who earns good money fixing computers. A friend's wife who has fibromyalgia works as a nurse's aide, and another with MS is a restaurant manager. Another friend's ex-husband, who has cerebral palsy, is an attorney.

2. If an employer fires someone for having a disability, the fired employee will almost certainly sue - and win.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
But you don't know that There is no data for what they did, that's one of the points I demand to know the answer for. I bet a lot of the poor live near Canada, far from the offices where one has to sit for up to 8 hours, which I have done, to talk to someone. I hate that I had to do it, I hate that I had to go there several times, but I was desperate and I was struggling. Thankfully I'm in D.C., I do work full-time and I'm trying to go to school. I just want answers to where that 10,000 went instead of people making assumptions that they were lazy good-for-nothings.
The fact that they chose to drop off of the welfare rolls when this change was implemented tells you all you need to know.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,119,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
This is utter BS! I DEFY you or anyone else to show me a place where help wanted signs are not out, but people don't want to WORK when they can get handouts equal to or more than they get paid for sitting home and doing nothing!!!! I can not tell you the number of people who feel "that is beneath me, I refuse to do that" about certain jobs that are looking to hire daily.

WPA was a PERFECT way to handle welfare, and should be re-implemented!

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are no Help Wanted signs around here, except 30 miles away where there is a Walmart.

Like it or not, businesses have no shortage of workers with two exceptions: jobs that need special talents especially in technical fields, and very low wage jobs with no benefits, like dishwashers, warehouse, or Walmart. Most of those lower-end jobs are filled by immigrants, who will take jobs that don't offer medical benefits or food assistance, and who will sleep several to a room to save money on rent. Most Americans prefer to stay healthy and eat well, and even those who are willing to take a dishwasher job for one example, find that employers will tend to hire illegals who don't dare complain about anything, not even being cheated on wages.

Most people would rather have a job than welfare. There aren't enough of them to go around.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:37 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,221,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
2. If an employer fires someone for having a disability, the fired employee will almost certainly sue - and win.
Most employers aren't dumb enough to fire disabled people for having disabilities. They're far more likely to find other reasons to fire them. It's easy to find non-disability reasons to fire people. And if they can't find a good reason to fire them, they simply lay them off. A lot of companies use periodic layoffs as a way to get rid of undesirable employees without ever firing anyone.

What often happens is that someone hires a disabled person and then later that disabled person ends up working for someone else at the same company when the first boss gets reassigned or something. But the new boss often doesn't like people with disabilities, and starts looking for an innocent way to get rid of the person.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,092,282 times
Maybe it doesn't need to be an either/or situation:

Generous welfare benefits make people more likely to want to work, not less -- ScienceDaily

Old 04-13-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Most employers aren't dumb enough to fire disabled people for having disabilities.
Then your entire previous post is irrelevant.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,191,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You seem overly defensive over a video made by the daughter of one of the biggest liberals in politics, Nancy Pelosi. Ironic huh? Bwahahahahaha!
That is your answer to those questions? That I seem overly defensive? Ok.

I'm genuinely curious about people who post propaganda videos like the one I responded to. Instead of engaging in any substantive conversation, I get a personal attack. Par for the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events