Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:27 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,072,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's run some numbers.

There are approximately 75 million adult gun owners in the US. ( https://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp ).

If we go by that 1 in 10, it means that there are 7.5 million gun owners who fit into this category.

If 1% of those "snap" in a year and kill someone, we would have 75,000 people murdered with a gun each year. The actual number is around 8,500 ( Gun crime statistics by US state: download the data. Visualised | World news | The Guardian ), and that includes all the gun murders in robberies, gang violence, etc. I could not find a number for the "snapped" (impulse) category, but I'm guessing it's a fairly small percentage of that 8,500.

In other words, I'm not too worried about it.
I believe the 75 million number is light. This is based on a poll. Many legal gun owners will not admit to having a gun, and there is a significant amount of guns owned by gangs, criminals and people that otherwise are not allowed to own a gun but do so anyway. These criminals do not show up in the gun owner stats, but they show up in the gun crime stats. Holding legal gun owners responsible for the stats generated by illegal gun owners is not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,404,891 times
Guilty as charged.

I have anger quite often and I have guns. I do not however, ever turn to my guns when angry. I'm a responsible gun owner who happens to get angry.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,390,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The study was from Duke University Medical Center and published in the journal Behavioral Sciences in the Law. Nearly one in ten U.S. adults have impulsive anger issues and access to guns -- ScienceDaily
And if you read that article, it says it was a survey. No claims of it being a controled clinical research study.

Furthermore, all adults have access to guns, so the statement is pointless.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,447,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I believe the 75 million number is light. This is based on a poll. Many legal gun owners will not admit to having a gun, and there is a significant amount of guns owned by gangs, criminals and people that otherwise are not allowed to own a gun but do so anyway. These criminals do not show up in the gun owner stats, but they show up in the gun crime stats. Holding legal gun owners responsible for the stats generated by illegal gun owners is not accurate.
I agree with you 100%. I just went with an actual published number so the point could be made without the "where did you get that number" distractions.

Obviously, we are not counting all the people who have guns.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 AM

590 posts, read 709,665 times
gun control means using 2 hands to steady the gun before firing. guns dont kill people, people kill people....

Old 04-10-2015, 02:13 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,328,044 times
Have you ever heard of plinking ?
Plinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a great stress reliever !

Contrary to what some people want to believe is a common belief, just because you've got a gun and are stressed out doesn't mean that you want to shoot someone.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:31 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,230,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't. I could gain access, but at this point in time, I know of no guns that I have access to.

Having a right and having access are different things.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:38 PM

506 posts, read 423,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Yeah, but 10 out of 10 Americans have access to a knife, bat, golf club, fists, etc
People with guns that kill people with their guns have access to knives, bats, golf clubs and fists, yet they use their guns, I wonder why that is.

Thank you for the laugh.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:51 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,420,770 times
More anti-gun gibberish.

All anti-gun people should put signs outside their homes... "We Don't Believe in Keeping Guns in the House".

Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM

26,587 posts, read 26,467,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And if you read that article, it says it was a survey. No claims of it being a controled clinical research study.
"The researchers analyzed data from 5,563 face-to-face interviews conducted in the National Comorbidity Study Replication (NCS-R), a nationally representative survey of mental disorders in the U.S. led by Harvard..." Guns, Impulsive Angry Behavior, and Mental Disorders: Results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R) - Swanson - 2015 - Behavioral Sciences & the Law - Wiley Online Library

Quote:
"Access to guns" means owning a gun, as well as carrying one outside the home. It doesn't mean ability to purchase a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events