Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
There are somewhere between five to six hundred thousand police officers in the United States
This year there will be statistically somewhere between five to six thousand incidents of unnecessary use of force, criminal behavior, unprofessional conduct leading to some type of charge,,,

Of those incidents I would say there will probably be over one hundred that will be sensational... and where they will make national news and have more than the three day news cycle with legs... I am sure with the posters on city data we will see most if not all of them and a lot of LOOK.. SEE.. They are all bad crooked criminal cops... when the REALITY is that it is a very small abet sensational percentage... much lower than any other aspect of society

Every police officer today is held to a standard much higher than a normal citizen.. again abet what people with anti police agendas say.. I have spoken about these standards at length.. the problems attaining them.. and the problems enforcing them

In this instance if there was a field sergeant there then he absolutely failed his job one hundred percent
As a field sergeant any department out there has them in place as first line supervisors to stop exactly what appeared to occur in this case... pursuit justice,,, if that is what it was,,, we have very specific policies about use of force and as importantly CONTROLLING use of force.... when emotions are high.. it is the specific job of a line sergeant to have presence of mind and cool head and using policy driven command take charge of a scene...
That's how its supposed to work... Ill await the debrief and multiple investigations this incident will generate

Does this **** make me and every policeman I know of pissed.. absolutely.. because the heat that comes from it negatively changes policy and makes it harder incrementally every time this happens for us to do our jobs.Post Rodney King for me and my department was a salient moment and from then on it was contentious traffic stops with kids shoving cameras in our faces asking if we were going to beat mommie and daddy... use of force polices were completely revamped and supervision input became not only policy.. but something you could lose your job and freedom if you didn't exert. Departments looked more how to fire officers instantly... and internal investigations bureaus grew exponentially.. why.. reality.. public pressure.. better standard of accountability,, reduction of civil liability (always a driver of policy). If you are involved in use of force today and aren't squeaky clean it is going to be a bumpy road.. getting your own attorney.. maybe being bifurcated from the department who wants to drop you like a hot rock in any lawsuit if you do have culpability

On the other side... and as a social comment... we get injured and killed daily in the US.. and rarely anymore is there any outrage .... par for the job... but definitely sobering... we have posters on here calling for the execution of police.. fighting and resisting police.. and social agendas of everything that can and will tear our country apart...

Everyone has a personal responsibility to be the best citizen they can.. police have the solemn duty to uphold the law and be the best examples they can.. and living with a higher standard... when that is forgotten EVERYONE suffers.

Ultimately our country will get what it wants and deserves...

If what you say were true, Police Corruption not being an issue, you wouldn't have an entire country up in arms about it.

The empirical evidence says otherwise. People talk. People have personal experiences. People share stories.

The Police and Politicians brought this on themselves. The people are unhappy.

Instead of trying to talk about how its not a problem, how about doing what you can to ensure that citizens are truly protected and going after Police agencies and other government agencies widely known to be corrupt??

Your about the only poster on here, along with some other questionable ones, denying that there's a problem. And you have the MOST reason to be biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 12:12 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Do you have a problem with being recorded? Why would you unless you actually do intend to beat mommy and daddy? If you are an honest cop, being recorded shouldn't bother you one bit. Are you an honest cop?

I think its more along the lines of people getting overly aggressive and shoving these cameras right up in cop's faces. I certainly wouldn't enjoy that and neither would you. If someone is recording with a GoPro placed on their dash or off in the distance, I don't see why it should be an issue.

For that reason I'm certainly in favor of police officer's wearing body camera's, its protection for the general public, as well as the police officer themselves.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:13 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It's the principle of having to be recorded because someone else f*cked up.
An incident of misconduct should not be a precondition for recording. Accountability should be the only relevant principle. Unless a cop is just a thug with a badge, being recorded should not be a burden.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:19 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

The empirical evidence says otherwise. People talk. People have personal experiences. People share stories.

People also often don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. I was sitting at breakfast just this morning with a group of old-timers sitting across from me and they were ranting loudly about how crime is the worst that they've ever seen and how the crime rate in the U.S. is going through the roof................yet crime has actually been decreasing steadily for decades now.

What I find is that people like to form echo chambers, surround themselves with those who have the same exact ideological beliefs and so over time, anecdotal claims become treated as 100% fact.

Yes, there are bad cops in the U.S., but as the poster you quoted mentioned, there's hundreds of thousands of interactions between police and civilians that we never ever hear about, we only hear about the sensational situations when some cop crosses the line and breaks the law or when there is perceived misconduct such as in the Darren Wilson situation.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If what you say were true, Police Corruption not being an issue, you wouldn't have an entire country up in arms about it.

The Police and Politicians brought this on themselves. The people are unhappy.

Instead of trying to talk about how its not a problem, how about doing what you can to ensure that citizens are truly protected and going after Police agencies and other government agencies widely known to be corrupt??

Your about the only poster on here, along with some other questionable ones, denying that there's a problem. And you have the MOST reason to be biased.
The Whole couNtry Is not up in arms about it. Liberals are up in arms about it.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Default re

Quote:
An incident of misconduct should not be a precondition for recording. Accountability should be the only relevant principle. Unless a cop is just a thug with a badge, being recorded should not be a burden.
Hmm. So anytime a cop uses force he's a thug?

Isn't thug a racist word now?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:24 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Quote:
Do you have a problem with being recorded? Why would you unless you actually do intend to beat mommy and daddy? If you are an honest cop, being recorded shouldn't bother you one bit. Are you an honest cop?
Moderator cut: personal remarks

It is hard to be insulted with ignorance .. so please rethink about what you said ..consciously.. so I can forgive you appropriately

I wear a personal bodycam (bought with my money long before they were issued).. there is a dashcam in my radiocar.. there is a dashcam in my personal vehicle because my license is my livelihood and required for my job.. there is a computer in my radiocar that monitors my driving ,,,we have traffic cams strategically placed around the city.. without revealing homeland security stuff.. we are filmed just about 24/7.. from the locker room to the bathroom from In and Out to your front door

So... no.. I dont have a problem being filmed one iota.. do your job right.. dont lie.. cheat or steal.. give 8 hours for 8..stay away from women and temptations in the field... if you need to use force.. be resolute... there isnt any need to degrade anyone.. Im always going to win.. and tomorrow is another day and there will always be another crook around the corner....

Last edited by Marka; 04-13-2015 at 03:17 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 12:37 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
we are filmed just about 24/7.. from the locker room to the bathroom from In and Out to your front door
You may make it to my front door, but if you attempt to enter it without a warrant, you won't like the result much.

Last edited by Marka; 04-13-2015 at 03:18 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
People also often don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. I was sitting at breakfast just this morning with a group of old-timers sitting across from me and they were ranting loudly about how crime is the worst that they've ever seen and how the crime rate in the U.S. is going through the roof................yet crime has actually been decreasing steadily for decades now.

What I find is that people like to form echo chambers, surround themselves with those who have the same exact ideological beliefs and so over time, anecdotal claims become treated as 100% fact.

Yes, there are bad cops in the U.S., but as the poster you quoted mentioned, there's hundreds of thousands of interactions between police and civilians that we never ever hear about, we only hear about the sensational situations when some cop crosses the line and breaks the law or when there is perceived misconduct such as in the Darren Wilson situation.
Who doesn't know what they're talking about??

How are YOU gonna tell me about my personal experiences? Or what I've heard and from whom??

I've talked to defense attorneys, cops, court clerks, historians...

Who are YOU to tell me what I've experienced??

I'll wait on that one.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
The Whole couNtry Is not up in arms about it. Liberals are up in arms about it.
Nice one.

No. The entire country is up in arms. And there was a very heavy Libertarian presence that helped raise awareness about this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events