Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I can't imagine I would let my six and ten year old walk by themselves to the corner store. just wouldn't on the "off" chance something would happen to them. I also would not want the older child to feel responsible/guilty if something happened to the younger kid that the older was unable to help or do anything about.
^^^^^^^^^^^What if bothers me too. Can't help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I grew up in a row house in Trenton, New Jersey.

Google it.
I know where Trenton is. It's in the Northeast just like Maryland. Where you group up matters how, here? Just asking, because I don't see the connection.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:40 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,644,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Oh yes they are. I've been insulted and called names because of it.
They are...what?

You didn't even address my post. Why did you quote it?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I know where Trenton is. It's in the Northeast just like Maryland. Where you group up matters how, here? Just asking, because I don't see the connection.
I was under the impression that you considered a rural setting safer than an urban setting.
(your comment that Maryland is not rural)

Old 04-15-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
No, times have not changed.

The story I got from my mother regarding strangers was this:

"There is a bad man out there who tries to kidnap kids and stick needles in their eyes!"

Well, that was enough for me to be wary of strangers, and no need to go into the whole molestation thing, which I would not have understood anyway as a kid.
Yes, times have changed. I'll bet there was no crack cocaine when you grew up if you were born when you said.

Was there any gang banging problem?

Were there as many pedophiles?

None of this can be the same, since the country is larger with more immigrants (some who became citizens) and so much more.

I'm done having this around and around discussion with you comparing the fifties to 65 years later.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that you considered a rural setting safer than an urban setting.
(your comment that Maryland is not rural)
Maryland (where the people are from/which is what I should have said is not rural). I provided the walk score for Silver Spring. It's walkable. Thus, the reason the children were walking.

Got anything else?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, times have changed. I'll bet there was no crack cocaine when you grew up if you were born when you said.

Was there any gang banging problem?

Were there as many pedophiles?

None of this can be the same, since the country is larger with more immigrants (some who became citizens) and so much more.

I'm done having this around and around discussion with you comparing the fifties to 65 years later.
Drugs have been around for ages.

Gangs, too.

Just as many pedophiles then as there are today. Are you under some misguided impression that in the fifties everyone was a good guy? LOL You were a kid then, what did you know?

Not sure what you are implying about immigrants.

I gave my three daughters the same freedoms growing up as I had as a child.

All three are alive and well, with children of their own (except my youngest, no kids yet).

Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Why isn't this thread in the Parenting forum where it belongs?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Drugs have been around for ages.

Gangs, too.

Just as many pedophiles then as there are today. Are you under some misguided impression that in the fifties everyone was a good guy? LOL You were a kid then, what did you know?

Not sure what you are implying about immigrants.

I gave my three daughters the same freedoms growing up as I had as a child.

All three are alive and well, with children of their own (except my youngest, no kids yet).
Good for you. I raised my children the way my parents raised me. It's not wrong, just different.

Get over it. It will be just fine....I promise.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Maryland (where the people are from/which is what I should have said is not rural). I provided the walk score for Silver Spring. It's walkable. Thus, the reason the children were walking.

Got anything else?
Yeah, a chuckle or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events