Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:54 PM

16,583 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Which doesn't mean it's OK to violate his civil rights. What if he was your child/sibling/parent?

LOL

If he were related to me, he would have been disowned a while back.

Look when someone has a deadly weapon all bets are off. LEO's must use deadly force to stop them unless they comply/surrender. So whether they ran him down with a car or shot him, it makes little difference.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:56 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Which doesn't mean it's OK to violate his civil rights. What if he was your child/sibling/parent?

I'd have disowned the POS by then. These things don't just come out of the woodwork.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post
I know this is another episode of "Cops Behaving Badly", but boy did I laugh out loud

I wonder what Chuck Norris would have done....
Interesting you should bring up Chuck Norris. I think the prevalence of TV programs and movies that glorify outrageous law enforcement behavior is one of the main reasons the public is so unaware (or uncaring) of the inappropriateness of this kind of police response. In simplistic entertainment law enforcement are the heroes and suspects are always the villains. Whatever over-the-top thing the cops need to do to bring down the bad guy is lauded. And the more extreme, the more entertaining. But in fact, in real life, suspects are just that ... SUSPECTS. They have not yet been convicted of a crime. They are also not wearing shirts that say "previously convicted of a crime" so there is no way police can tell in advance if a suspect is a low-life or not. They just assume, sometimes based on very prejudicial factors.

In our system of justice, it's not the job of the police to mete out punishment. It's merely their job to bring in a suspect so s/he can get a fair trial. That's why they say on Law & Order: In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

I live 1.5 miles from the border of Marana, AZ, and I can attest to the fact that the vast majority of locals are not the least bit interest in the suspect's rights in this case. Personally, I think that's sad and that kind of public opinion will do nothing to curb the current epidemic of "Cops Behaving Badly."

Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM

16,583 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that's sad and that kind of public opinion will do nothing to curb the current epidemic of "Cops Behaving Badly."

That is what people are trying to tell you, that your perception of what happened is warped and not part of your so called epidemic.

`

Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
LiveLeak.com - Marana police video shows cruiser ram crime spree suspect

No matter what the guy did this just isn't right. A patrol car runs over a shooting suspect at better than 30mph (in my estimation). It is no better than shooting someone.
Oh good...he's a white guy... (for the record, so am I)... just a lot of 'look what they did to that black man!" videos lately...

Old 04-15-2015, 03:51 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,339,729 times
A tactic that should be deployed more often against gun wielding psychos on the street.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:19 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:

No matter what the guy did this just isn't right. A patrol car runs over a shooting suspect at better than 30mph (in my estimation). It is no better than shooting someone.
Whatever works and is safest for the policeman and the public.

As one officer pointed out, that actually saved the alleged shooter's life. Otherwise, they would have had to shoot him. He was armed and dangerous.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
At first, I was outraged at the edited video. But then I saw the longer video showing he had a rifle pointed at his own head threatening to shoot himself if the cops tried to arrest him.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
One more bad guy off the street.
Or another guy that's about to take tax payer money from a lawsuit or settlement because he was hit from behind with a police car on purpose...

Old 04-15-2015, 05:39 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:

Suspect was armed, firing his weapon, and had robbed multiple victims.

I'd call that a good stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events