Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you become a cop if no other jobs were available?
Yes 30 40.54%
No 36 48.65%
Not Sure 8 10.81%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times

Advertisements

No way, the salary is not enough to put up with the idiots in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
There are many threads on here about the bad cops type of incidents, which are needed to prove people arent paranoid when they say police brutality exists, but for all the hell police are given on here, would anyone on here ever want to be one if there was no other job available.

As a cop:
-You run to the danger, that many simply hide from
-Deal with some of the utter worst people in society you can imagine
-Have to make a split second decision on whether to shoot someone or be shot yourself
-Get shot at and never can predict when that will happen
-Have to see dead bodies whether its a homicide, suicide, or someone mangled in a fatal car accident.
-You have to enforce the BS war on drugs
-Break up fights in public, domestic violence disputes, respond to brawls, deal with gangs

For all this mental stress @ 30-40K a year, its no wonder many cops act the way they act after having to deal with this type of things daily.

So if the only job you could find is a policeman, would you take it?
Why do you ask since you have evinced a bias against the job. But I guess that since I was a cop, voluntarily and not because I didn't have any other options, I would have to say, "Yes!"

-Danger can be an adrenalin rush
-You get to bring comfort to those in fear and anguish
-Reactions become instinctive
-Got shot at in combat. See first remark
-Every job has its down/unpleasant side even if it's only live people
-It felt good to take dangerous drugs, cookers, suppliers and pushers off the streets
-Fights, violence, brawls, gangs? Felt good to break them up and contribute to public safety

Some of us believe in public service to make our towns, cities and states safer and more pleasant places, others don't. That's all!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I would not. It would run completely counter to my disposition and worldview. I would likely lose some respect from my family and likely lose a lot of friends. I couldn't enforce certain laws (such as the BS War on Drugs as mentioned) that I am diametrically opposed to. I'd lose myself. Not worth it for me personally.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
For me, that a NO.
If I say dont move and you run, when I catch you, your getting tasered, pepper sprayed or shot.

We can sit behind a computer and Monday morning quarterback all day on what a cop is to do in these situations, but if we were put in the same exact scenarios, im pretty sure we would all shoot someone charging at us as well or beat someones azz if you had to chase them down and they want to be combative with you.

Shooting someone in the back running away is still wrong, especially for a traffic violation and there are many cops that do abuse their power and are very arrogant because they know they can simply shoot you if they have to and say they feared their life, but I do acknowledge they have a sh!%#y job as well, when looking at all that is required of them.
Well I'm glad I'm not under your generic "We" blanket. I grew up in a 'ghetto' and witnessed both sides of the gritty Los Angeles law enforcement scenario during the 1970's. But I still wanted to be a Highway Patrol officer. Not because I lacked discipline wanted to punish people who defied me, but because I wanted to be a gaurdian, not a warrior of my community. I mean help people in distress more than taze or hand out citations.

Maybe that sounds idealistically corny by modern standards, but I haven't lost faith in humanity or see all people out of the uniform as demons worthy of execution because believe it or not, they live on both sides of the badge. And about stopping someone who's running away, well I do know that there are other ways when you haven't lost your temper. I have seen cops chase people plenty of times, down alleys and over fences without shooting them.Especially older guys who can barely jog let alone run. That's what we used to see all the time in the inner cities.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 PM

367 posts, read 458,120 times
Actually part of me wishes I did get involved in law enforcement, so I absolutely would.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Frankly I do not care for the way you worded the poll/thread.

If I could not get any other job, then of course I would take the only job I could get, rather than be a leech off of other people. My parents gave me a good upbringing in that regard.

As to your general theme of would you want to be a cop, I do not believe I would have the best attitude in dealing with scum. Especially with those who harm women, children, elderly or anyone else that cannot stand up for themselves.
Therefore I would not be suited for it. I say that because I would probably break the law while trying to enforce it at the same time

Lastly and ironically enough, one of the things I would enjoy as a LEO is trying to get the scum of the earth off the streets, and that would include dope dealers. So where you think the "war on drugs is BS", I think it is essential.
This garbage about I'm not hurting anyone by getting high is just that, garbage. But this thread is not about that, so I will not expound further.

Cop vs. no other job = Cop
Cop vs. other jobs = Other job

`
I dont believe anyone should smoke anything since the human body wasnt made for that.

When I refer to the war on drugs Im referring to the nonsense of 2 people smoking and one has a cigarette and the other has a joint and the other is now a criminal and must do time. I know the law is the law and if you are foolish enough to smoke weed in the open, you have to deal with the consequences, but the problem with the dumb justice system in the USA is people will break into your house and be let out in no time and probably serve no time, while people are stuck in jail for years with mandatory sentences for drug use, when they should have been treated instead.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Why do you ask since you have evinced a bias against the job. But I guess that since I was a cop, voluntarily and not because I didn't have any other options, I would have to say, "Yes!"

-Danger can be an adrenalin rush
-You get to bring comfort to those in fear and anguish
-Reactions become instinctive
-Got shot at in combat. See first remark
-Every job has its down/unpleasant side even if it's only live people
-It felt good to take dangerous drugs, cookers, suppliers and pushers off the streets
-Fights, violence, brawls, gangs? Felt good to break them up and contribute to public safety

Some of us believe in public service to make our towns, cities and states safer and more pleasant places, others don't. That's all!
I agree, as some of my friends that are cops actually do care and try to make a difference. Ive heard a story or 2 from them on how they jacked up a person or 2, but I would have done the same thing too given the situation.

While everything you listed above you may feel good about, there are many arrogant cops too that think because they have a badge you must do everything they say even if its the law or not and then if you question them, its considered resisting. They need to realize they are law enforcers, not law makers and that people have a right to question them as well if they are trying to enforce something that is not the law.

What I was getting at is with the amount of bad mouthing of law enforcement over the bad apples, do people even consider what they would do if they were a cop in the same situation or if they could even do the job at all for the low pay for what you put up with.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
I would not for many reasons including the fact that I do not like guns of any kind. I have never handle a gun and prefer not to be around anyone that has one. Definitely, the two jobs that I would not want would be a cop or a politician. Both are rife with corruption.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,047 times
Count me in. Most cops don't do nothing anyway.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Sure, I wouldn't want to do it, but I could make the best of it.

Hang out at Krispy Kreme or flirt with the girls at 711, write a few tickets, bark at some kids to move on when they are hanging on the corner, direct a little traffic.

It doesn't pay much, but it isn't that hard and has some benefits. Got to try not to be a real rambo out there, and you should be able to stay out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events