U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:32 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,448,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
It's always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I hear a lot of people throwing out terms like "bimbo" and "Barbie." What do Britt McHenry's looks have anything to do with this story? They don't but jealousy often drives people to like to see pretty people fall. When I hear women (many of them would probably identify as "feminists") tear down the Britt McHenrys of the world all I can see are envy and jealousy. Of course this post will get flammed and there will be strong denials but lets be real here. People like to see pretty people take a fall because of some vague internal feelings of injustice which are driven mostly by envy. People all want to raise up Gina, the allegeded victim, all because she is not pretty and not on TV. She's a "regular" person just like you and me. Since there's no preceived injustice by her mere existence and women are not jealous of her she gets instant sainthood her on C-D. By jove she's "pretty on the inside!"rre

I think 1 week is appropriate. I don't hop aboard digital lynchings, especially not over heavily edited tapes that were selectively released by the towing company. It's really easy for the towing company to take the high road and call for Britt to keep her job because they know the full story. In all likelihood Gina probably dished out her fair share of verbal cut downs, but she's one of the pretty people so there's no bloodlust to be satiated by calling for her job. You can't call her a "brainless bimbo" or a "talentless hack" so it's not fun to think she could have done something wrong. In reality 99% of the people on here would have wanted her fired simply because she is an attractive blonde. Even as the story has shifted and we're finding that Gina might not be so innocent people are sticking to their guns and at this point have pretty much admitted that they want her fired simply for being a hot blonde who they don't think has the proper amount of talent for the job.

Jessica2099 is pretty the only poster with her head on straight in this whole thread.
Feminists can be beautiful. Some are and some aren't. I dont think looks have anything to do with political, gender, or religious views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 01:40 PM

6,742 posts, read 4,106,857 times
Quote:
It's always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I hear a lot of people throwing out terms like "bimbo" and "Barbie." What do Britt McHenry's looks have anything to do with this story? They don't but jealousy often drives people to like to see pretty people fall. When I hear women (many of them would probably identify as "feminists") tear down the Britt McHenrys of the world all I can see are envy and jealousy. Of course this post will get flammed and there will be strong denials but lets be real here. People like to see pretty people take a fall because of some vague internal feelings of injustice which are driven mostly by envy. People all want to raise up Gina, the allegeded victim, all because she is not pretty and not on TV. She's a "regular" person just like you and me. Since there's no preceived injustice by her mere existence and women are not jealous of her she gets instant sainthood her on C-D. By jove she's "pretty on the inside!"

I think 1 week is appropriate. I don't hop aboard digital lynchings, especially not over heavily edited tapes that were selectively released by the towing company. It's really easy for the towing company to take the high road and call for Britt to keep her job because they know the full story. In all likelihood Gina probably dished out her fair share of verbal cut downs, but she's one of the pretty people so there's no bloodlust to be satiated by calling for her job. You can't call her a "brainless bimbo" or a "talentless hack" so it's not fun to think she could have done something wrong. In reality 99% of the people on here would have wanted her fired simply because she is an attractive blonde. Even as the story has shifted and we're finding that Gina might not be so innocent people are sticking to their guns and at this point have pretty much admitted that they want her fired simply for being a hot blonde who they don't think has the proper amount of talent for the job.

Jessica2099 is pretty the only poster with her head on straight in this whole thread.
It'a always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I don't understand the unflappable devotion you and Jsssica2099 have for Britt or why, but whatever it is, it's causing you to:
  1. Ignore all the evidence of her diva behavior
  2. and somehow justify what she said to Gina

This woman saw she was on camera and continued her verbal tirade, which demonstrates to me, she thinks she's above reproach and all the rules don't apply to her because she's a "public figure". By the way, she was the one who brought looks into this equation in her temper tantrum.

She did something illegal, was warned before, but again, thought she was above it all, went to the place in a bad mood and then engaged in a verbal spat, that was completely unnecessary and inappropriate.

Not only has this woman demonstrated multiple times her diva behavior, poor home training and over sense of self worth, but she has drawn the ire of people she works with, who know her better than you.

I also guarantee you that MikeLizard and myself are more versed with her "work" than you two are. So yes, she was qualified on paper for the job based on her credentials, but we both know her looks put her over the top, because she is very average at her job. Something she's been called out for before. As someone said before, this isn't some special talent or elite-level journalism. She's standing on a sideline during a game repeating to us what a coach said during halftime or telling us Player A has a leg injury and won't return to the game. Riverting stuff.

Maybe it's just the rules of her fan club, but the continual defending of this woman is pretty pathetic. Talk about enablers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Men are jealous of pretty women. Usually it's because the pretty women refused to date them. I'm not saying that about you in particular, just answering your statement that men are not jealous of pretty women.
Please. She's nothing special, whatsoever.

Last edited by ATG5; 04-19-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 02:12 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,797,087 times
Not sure she needs to be fired, but I think the perfect punishment would be to suspend her for 30 days, maybe 60, and during that time she would have to work at the tow storage yard and have her new best friend train her. She needs to be brought down to earth, perhaps 30 days at the window of the yard would help her attitude... We'll see how hot she looks in coveralls...

Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,175,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Also, people are saying it's only "one side" of the story since it was edited. Well Britt had a chance to respond. If the towing employee said horrible things(equivalent to what she said) to her why did she not mention it? Your average person would have went off on Britt after she said what she said anyway. I think some people might have even gotten physical.

An F from the BBB for a towing outfit is irrelevant. Of course people get towed and then complain. If it was a mechanic, I'd be concerned. A towing company? I don't think so. She didn't even say she was LEGALLY parked and the tow was fraud in her statement she released afterword. So basically she admits to parking a tow zone and getting towed by not saying anything. I would think that's the first thing she'd say if she was parked legally!
Towing San Diego, CA

You keep saying that but it's wrong! There is a Yelp search for "Towing" near my current city filled with pages of 4 and 5 star reviews! You can't just complain to the BBB and get a company's rating lowered, a lot of people have to have substantiated claims. You are delusional.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
She made fun of the looks of the clerk. Very obvious. I'm not "jealous" of a pretty woman. That makes absolutely no sense. I'm a man. Men put pretty women on pedestal and treat them better not worse. There can be jealousy among women, but calling out men on that is laughable. The issue is her callous disgusting way of acting.

Do you honestly think she wouldn't be receiving this hell if she looked like an average woman? You're delusional if you believe that.
I'd be willing to believe if you almost every single person on this thread, and around the internet, that wanted a harsher punishment didn't at some point include the words "bimbo" "Barbie" "blonde" or otherwise talk about her looks and her job qualifications. Who's to say that St. Gina didn't start the flame war? How come we don't get to hear what she said? The thing is you wouldn't care what she said because you and all the other "burn the witch" types have already come into this thread with preconceived notions about the "hot blonde" and what type of justice you want meted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone
We'll see how hot she looks in coveralls...
I rest my case.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
It'a always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I don't understand the unflappable devotion you and Jsssica2099 have for Britt or why, but whatever it is, it's causing you to:
  1. Ignore all the evidence of her diva behavior
  2. and somehow justify what she said to Gina

This woman saw she was on camera and continued her verbal tirade, which demonstrates to me, she thinks she's above reproach and all the rules don't apply to her because she's a "public figure". By the way, she was the one who brought looks into this equation in her temper tantrum.

She did something illegal, was warned before, but again, thought she was above it all, went to the place in a bad mood and then engaged in a verbal spat, that was completely unnecessary and inappropriate.

Not only has this woman demonstrated multiple times her diva behavior, poor home training and over sense of self worth, but she has drawn the ire of people she works with, who know her better than you.

I also guarantee you that MikeLizard and myself are more versed with her "work" than you two are. So yes, she was qualified on paper for the job based on her credentials, but we both know her looks put her over the top, because she is very average at her job. Something she's been called out for before. As someone said before, this isn't some special talent or elite-level journalism. She's standing on a sideline during a game repeating to us what a coach said during halftime or telling us Player A has a leg injury and won't return to the game. Riverting stuff.

Maybe it's just the rules of her fan club, but the continual defending of this woman is pretty pathetic. Talk about enablers.
Oh sorry I didn't know you worked at ESPN. Did Britt McHenry appear to act like a giant b***h in a heavily edited tape? Yes, but who knows what kind of back and forth really went on. I don't jump aboard internet lynchings half-cocked with half the information. But really even if St. Gina didn't do anything but be a solid employee, who cares? Seriously people are getting all butthurt over some words. What happened to "sticks and stones" and all that? Obviously some people on here have never dealt with a really stressful or intense life and death situation if they think the passive-aggressive mutterings of a sideline reporter constitute some capital offense. I don't care about Britt McHenry one way or the other I just think that this all extremely ridiculous, as if all the people calling for her head haven't thought or said worse than what she said.

If Britt McHenry was an average woman this tape would be viral on the internet because people thought it was hilarious. There's no bloodlust to be satiated by knocking down average people. This is the same mindset that leads to people to rant and rave about "the rich" and call for new taxes or new regulations. People like to hate rich men and beautiful women and mob justice via the internet towards their perceived faults can be swift and brutal.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,830,123 times
Quote:
It's always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I hear a lot of people throwing out terms like "bimbo" and "Barbie." What do Britt McHenry's looks have anything to do with this story? They don't but jealousy often drives people to like to see pretty people fall. When I hear women (many of them would probably identify as "feminists") tear down the Britt McHenrys of the world all I can see are envy and jealousy. Of course this post will get flammed and there will be strong denials but lets be real here. People like to see pretty people take a fall because of some vague internal feelings of injustice which are driven mostly by envy. People all want to raise up Gina, the allegeded victim, all because she is not pretty and not on TV. She's a "regular" person just like you and me. Since there's no preceived injustice by her mere existence and women are not jealous of her she gets instant sainthood her on C-D. By jove she's "pretty on the inside!"

Digital lynchings? Sorry, but there is something called consequence. It happens. Cause and effect. You act like a jerk, prepare to be called on it. There have been plenty of men who have been pilloried in the press due to stupidity, rudeness, beating their wives and so on. Everyone has something on their side in these cases that people will mention in their pillorying- whether its their blonde looks, money, etc. Its a fact of life.

However this trope I have always heard trotted out that "we just love to see people more successful than us get torn down" i think is tiresome, and knee-jerk in that it is supposed to make us feel bad for calling BS on someone's behavior who has more than us. MOST people have more than "us"- armchair critics of society at large. Believe it or not, honey, I want women to succeed more than anything, because I am one. But I do NOT want to see women succeed because they have the nicest pair in the room, and I have seen more talent and personality in a broomstick than I do Britt McHenry. She was not chosen for talent. Is it a feminist issue to complain about the hottest girls with the least talent succeeding in a market clearly driven towards men? Or is it plain HUMAN to call a jerk a jerk no matter what they look like? I am NOT GOING TO GIVE SOMEONE A PASS because we are all women here and we should stick together. I wouldn't sit at the same table as Britt much less defend her. I don't defend the indefensible. She is a SNOT. I do not want snots and rudeness given a pass. That is pretty much oligarchy. I won't attack someone for having something I don't have- unless its MANNERS.

I really don't care. Anyone who defends this moron is a moron. They are letting politics blur an issue which is really very simple. SHE. IS. A. JERK. And she uses her looks- as testimony I invite you to rewatch the video, in which she proclaims she is hot and works on tv while the other woman has no teeth and lives in a trailer. YOU ARE DEFENDING THIS? Sorry, that makes you pretty dense in my opinion. "Gina might not be so innocent"- who cares? NOTHING ANYONE COULD HAVE SAID TO BRITT would have made this ok. Seriously? Is this how she goes down in an argument, talking about living in a trailer? WHO IS MAKING JUDGEMENT CALLS BASED ON WEALTH? Me and the other posters here, or the spoiled snob Britt McHenry?

Seriously, this is why women are not farther along in this world. Women are supposed to be ipso-de-facto always right no matter what they do. I have seen women like Britt a billion times in my life. And I am supposed to be a cheerleader for the mean girl because she has the same parts as me. Sorry, but you will have to stick two hot pokers in my eyes before I will do that.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:12 PM

6,742 posts, read 4,106,857 times
Quote:
Oh sorry I didn't know you worked at ESPN. Did Britt McHenry appear to act like a giant b***h in a heavily edited tape? Yes, but who knows what kind of back and forth really went on. I don't jump aboard internet lynchings half-cocked with half the information. But really even if St. Gina didn't do anything but be a solid employee, who cares? Seriously people are getting all butthurt over some words. What happened to "sticks and stones" and all that? Obviously some people on here have never dealt with a really stressful or intense life and death situation if they think the passive-aggressive mutterings of a sideline reporter constitute some capital offense. I don't care about Britt McHenry one way or the other I just think that this all extremely ridiculous, as if all the people calling for her head haven't thought or said worse than what she said.

If Britt McHenry was an average woman this tape would be viral on the internet because people thought it was hilarious. There's no bloodlust to be satiated by knocking down average people. This is the same mindset that leads to people to rant and rave about "the rich" and call for new taxes or new regulations. People like to hate rich men and beautiful women and mob justice via the internet towards their perceived faults can be swift and brutal.
I don't work for ESPN, but I've seen her reporting.

Please do not call this woman beautiful. There is nothing beautiful about her.

Carry on with your groupie devotion, Lacey Chabert.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM

367 posts, read 316,002 times
Quote:

Great post, and absolutely true. I'd give you 100 reputation points if it would let me!
I think I'm gonna retire from this thread now unless there are new developments. It's been fun, all!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:30 PM

981 posts, read 1,967,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
What do you all think of the Britt McHenry tape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHo1cYjnsU0

I am appalled at her Gaul and that anyone would talk to someone else like that. How rude and unprofessional and what a witch!
I understand the video was edited, and the clerk may have slung some slurs her way, but overall she comes off as snotty. That's the type of woman I'd expect to see on Fox News berating the downtrodden for their laziness. True in some cases, but ambitious people shouldn't gloat.

P.S. Spell-check Gaul. Charles de Gaulle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events