U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 10:56 PM

7,303 posts, read 3,980,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I understand the video was edited, and the clerk may have slung some slurs her way, but overall she comes off as snotty. That's the type of woman I'd expect to see on Fox News berating the downtrodden for their laziness. True in some cases, but ambitious people shouldn't gloat.

P.S. Spell-check Gaul. Charles de Gaulle?
No, Mr. Spelling Police...gall.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 11:36 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,612,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I'd be willing to believe if you almost every single person on this thread, and around the internet, that wanted a harsher punishment didn't at some point include the words "bimbo" "Barbie" "blonde" or otherwise talk about her looks and her job qualifications. Who's to say that St. Gina didn't start the flame war? How come we don't get to hear what she said? The thing is you wouldn't care what she said because you and all the other "burn the witch" types have already come into this thread with preconceived notions about the "hot blonde" and what type of justice you want meted out.

I rest my case.
Good that you rested your case, because you have no case. Britt was totally in the wrong no matter what Gina said. She showed the world she thinks she is entitled ecause she is pretty and is on TV. Those facts do not make her better than anyone else.
You are just defending Britt because she is pretty, not very classy.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 PM

6,291 posts, read 3,585,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
You sure are looking at this objectively. God forbid a hot blonde woman actually goes to college, and earns her degree to land a well paying job like everyone else.

Don't worry. A lot of people jump to this conclusion about her, because it happens anytime you are an attractive woman with a good job. I mean there can be absolutely no way that you got the great job from doing it the right way. It has to be because of your looks and only your looks. This is probably why I have become passionate about this topic, because on a smaller level, I can relate. Britt deals with it on a much higher level so I know that whatever I have heard is only a small fraction of what she deals with. Because of this she needs to defend her education frequently.

The beginning of this video isn't that bad. So what that she's saying that she doesn't want to be there. Then she says she "sue the place". How many customers per day do you think tell Gina (the towing clerk) that? Gina's heard that many, many times before.

The most curious and suspicious pause of this video occurs after Britt tells Gina "you guys only care about taking other peoples money". This is before ANY personal insult. We do not hear Gina's response but there is very noticeable edit here. If Gina never responded, why is an edit necessary? If there's an edit, then likely Gina has said something a little unflattering. If not, why hide it?

If Gina did say something unflattering there, then this therefore means she threw the first "personal level" punch. She might not have said something unflattering, but it is very reasonable to assume she did and this was edited out. Is it appropriate for Gina, while at work, to make a personal comment towards a customer.

Then we get to the part about the job, and really Britt's only mistake here. But was Britt backed in the corner by something, as in the above paragraph edited out? Did Gina, who later we know tells her to "fix her roots", so therefore we know Gina has paid notice to Britt's physical appearance, make the same kind of "barbie doll" reference that was edited out? Maybe, or maybe not. Do you know for a fact that she did or didn't. No. You don't know more then I do here, and ESPN doesn't either. So therefore, she is punished for a week. Do you fire someone based on this? If you do, then you don't belong in management because you are making a judgement on something in which you do not have all the facts. So if I a manager and trying to determine what is likely, are you going to consider the reputation of the other party, in this case, Advanced Towing? If you actually are a manager, then you better be. People reply that Advanced Towing's reputation doesn't matter. Oh yeah, it does.

TO conclude, Britt then is preparing to leave, and where she is then told by Gina to "fix your roots". If Gina did not say this, is not more likely that Britt, who at the beginning just wanted to get out of there, just leaves? Yes, it is. But now, Gina, in her own acting very unprofessionally, insults her, and in response, Britt counters.

Look, I realize many people out there just want to see a successful hot blonde get punished. Attractive women are used to that in workplace, from both men and women.

Thank you to those who have objectively discussed the topic.
I don't want to see her punished because she is a hot blonde or attractive (that is up for debate, I think she is really really ugly on the inside - there are a million of women out there better looking also) but I think the way she acted was horrific and shows her as mean, hateful and vulgar (and I don't care what the other lady said to her - there is never an excuse to talk to another human being like that.)

Old 04-19-2015, 11:58 PM

6,291 posts, read 3,585,827 times
Quote:
It's always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I hear a lot of people throwing out terms like "bimbo" and "Barbie." What do Britt McHenry's looks have anything to do with this story? They don't but jealousy often drives people to like to see pretty people fall. When I hear women (many of them would probably identify as "feminists") tear down the Britt McHenrys of the world all I can see are envy and jealousy. Of course this post will get flammed and there will be strong denials but lets be real here. People like to see pretty people take a fall because of some vague internal feelings of injustice which are driven mostly by envy. People all want to raise up Gina, the allegeded victim, all because she is not pretty and not on TV. She's a "regular" person just like you and me. Since there's no preceived injustice by her mere existence and women are not jealous of her she gets instant sainthood her on C-D. By jove she's "pretty on the inside!"

I think 1 week is appropriate. I don't hop aboard digital lynchings, especially not over heavily edited tapes that were selectively released by the towing company. It's really easy for the towing company to take the high road and call for Britt to keep her job because they know the full story. In all likelihood Gina probably dished out her fair share of verbal cut downs, but she's one of the pretty people so there's no bloodlust to be satiated by calling for her job. You can't call her a "brainless bimbo" or a "talentless hack" so it's not fun to think she could have done something wrong. In reality 99% of the people on here would have wanted her fired simply because she is an attractive blonde. Even as the story has shifted and we're finding that Gina might not be so innocent people are sticking to their guns and at this point have pretty much admitted that they want her fired simply for being a hot blonde who they don't think has the proper amount of talent for the job.

Jessica2099 is pretty the only poster with her head on straight in this whole thread.
Her looks have zero to do with this...it is her unthinkable behavior.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:27 AM

16,524 posts, read 17,592,629 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to believe if you almost every single person on this thread, and around the internet, that wanted a harsher punishment didn't at some point include the words "bimbo" "Barbie" "blonde" or otherwise talk about her looks and her job qualifications. Who's to say that St. Gina didn't start the flame war? How come we don't get to hear what she said? The thing is you wouldn't care what she said because you and all the other "burn the witch" types have already come into this thread with preconceived notions about the "hot blonde" and what type of justice you want meted out.

I rest my case.
I don't know if she is a bimbo or not. I don't really care. Looking at the whole story Britt McHenry should of simply walked in, asked for the total cost of payment to release vehicle, paid and left. If she felt wronged she should of sued in court. Not gotten in a verbal gutter brawl. Who started it is inconsequential. She should of showed more professionalism, restraint and better conduct. See the thing is nobody gives a **** about what some tow truck company employee says. But they do judge people that are in the "public eye". That's the same reason cops, teachers, firefighters, politicians, actors, sports stars are expected to be on a higher conduct level. It just comes with the job.

I don't believe she should be fired. Imo it was a argument between her and some other person. It had nothing to do with her work. But it shows a level of unprofessionalism on Britts side. I would expect that sort of behavior from some kuckle dragging construction worker.

In the end she would of gone back to her office, to her great job, good pay, great perks and nice house driving her nice car. And that possibly foul mouthed tow company employee would be going back to dealing with a bunch of other duck heads who got their cars towed. Who exactly hates their job more?
She made the mistake of sinking to a lower level when she could of walked in and walked out with nothing more than how much is the payment.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 AM

1,112 posts, read 980,347 times
As despicable as Britt's behavior was, this could be the best thing that could have happened to her career. I didn't have any clue who she was until this incident, and I'm sure most people didn't know her. This gave her notoriety. Even if she gets fired from ESPN, she will land back on her feet. She has access to the media so she can do an interview with Good Morning America or any media outlet of her choosing, develop a canned response putting her in the best positive light, and fake her way into a second chance. It's not like she dropped the "n-word" or made a gay slur, so America (or news producers) will absolutely give a second chance to a beautiful blonde girl. The media is full of physically beautiful people who are ugly on the inside. Fox News seems right up her alley given that she seems to be a huge Palin fan. They love eye candy who can read teleprompters on that channel.

Her sense of entitlement is jarring. I bet she hasn't been told "no" many times in her life, and she was taken back by the audacity of the tow truck lady. She thought she could talk her way out of the ticket because she's done that so many times in her life and gotten her way. Her apology was ridiculous too. If you read it using a "dumb blonde" voice like I did in my head, it sounds like one of those "sorry, not sorry" backhanded apologies where she's blaming the person she should be apologizing to for her own behavior. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. She might have to take some time off, but I predict she will land back on her feet. I hope with a lesson learned, but I doubt it.

Last edited by maniac77; 04-20-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 03:13 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,027,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Good that you rested your case, because you have no case. Britt was totally in the wrong no matter what Gina said. She showed the world she thinks she is entitled ecause she is pretty and is on TV. Those facts do not make her better than anyone else.
You are just defending Britt because she is pretty, not very classy.
I'm not "defending" her per se, I just don't rush to judgement and hurl condemnations without feeling I know all the facts. I'm also not offended by a single thing she said, I've heard worse and in fact said worse in my life.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Her looks have zero to do with this...it is her unthinkable behavior.
Unthinkable??? Really? Come on, some of the mock outrage and histrionics are getting a little out of hand here. It's not like she was caught on tape abusing a child or robbing a store. I understand this is the new thin skinned America where sticks and stone will break our bones and words will ALWAYS hurt us, but come on. Anyone who thinks that this behavior is "despicable" or "unthinkable" or just one of the worst things they've seen must have never been exposed to a real life intense situation. I don't know maybe it's just because I've see violence played out in the real world that passive aggressive mutterings between females just doesn't bother me. I'm sure Gina was dishing out it out as well as she was taking it so in the end what really happened? Was any physically hurt? Is anyone dead? Bleeding? In the hospital? In the end all that happened was millions of sensitive people in America got their delicate feelings hurt and now millions of people are satiating their bloodlust hoping to see a "dumb blonde" get her comeuppance.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't know if she is a bimbo or not. I don't really care. Looking at the whole story Britt McHenry should of simply walked in, asked for the total cost of payment to release vehicle, paid and left. If she felt wronged she should of sued in court. Not gotten in a verbal gutter brawl. Who started it is inconsequential. She should of showed more professionalism, restraint and better conduct. See the thing is nobody gives a **** about what some tow truck company employee says. But they do judge people that are in the "public eye". That's the same reason cops, teachers, firefighters, politicians, actors, sports stars are expected to be on a higher conduct level. It just comes with the job.

I don't believe she should be fired. Imo it was a argument between her and some other person. It had nothing to do with her work. But it shows a level of unprofessionalism on Britts side. I would expect that sort of behavior from some kuckle dragging construction worker.

In the end she would of gone back to her office, to her great job, good pay, great perks and nice house driving her nice car. And that possibly foul mouthed tow company employee would be going back to dealing with a bunch of other duck heads who got their cars towed. Who exactly hates their job more?
She made the mistake of sinking to a lower level when she could of walked in and walked out with nothing more than how much is the payment.
This isn't unreasonable.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM

324 posts, read 296,265 times
Quote:
Unthinkable??? Really? Come on, some of the mock outrage and histrionics are getting a little out of hand here. It's not like she was caught on tape abusing a child or robbing a store. I understand this is the new thin skinned America where sticks and stone will break our bones and words will ALWAYS hurt us, but come on. Anyone who thinks that this behavior is "despicable" or "unthinkable" or just one of the worst things they've seen must have never been exposed to a real life intense situation. I don't know maybe it's just because I've see violence played out in the real world that passive aggressive mutterings between females just doesn't bother me. I'm sure Gina was dishing out it out as well as she was taking it so in the end what really happened? Was any physically hurt? Is anyone dead? Bleeding? In the hospital? In the end all that happened was millions of sensitive people in America got their delicate feelings hurt and now millions of people are satiating their bloodlust hoping to see a "dumb blonde" get her comeuppance.
You nailed it. It's the new fad these days to feign over the top outrage at every transgression a person displays, no matter how minor, such as this incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events