U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-21-2015, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Clown School
9,999 posts, read 4,235,224 times
Reputation: 11553

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
A lack of human decency and empathy? Is this real life? This was 60 seconds of her life that was heavily edited to show one side of the story. To extrapolate that out and say she is some horrible person is ridiculous, especially considering we don't know what the other person was saying.
I have never treated another person the way she treated that employee. And I've never seen my husband or my friends do that either.

The fact that this 'reporter' did so easily tells me how absolutely vile she really is.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2015, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,027,292 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
That's not what I was talking about, you say you've said worse. To CSRs or anyone else in public? Yeah, speaks to your (lack of) character, if that's the case. Bird of a feather.

I'm sure you've floated through life doing nothing but farting rainbows and spreading joy throughout the world.


Quote:
Of course not, why would any ESPN employee or anyone in this situation say that and then give their name?

By the way, I've never once in this thread said she should or will get fired, but I completely understand if she does and wouldn't feel sorry for her in the slightest, so move around with that.

And nah, it's not because people are soft or haven't struggled or been in bad situations. It's people who actually have careers, responsibilities, authority, an image to uphold for a/their brand and/or who were raised with some manners and not in a barn, and understand that doing or saying certain things in certain situations come with repercussions when you badly represent your brand.

Unfortunately, not everyone is in that position or was raised with even a shred bit of decency, and that's been made pretty obvious by those who think it's okay to sweep it under the rug without reprimand.

And unless the unedited tape shows that she never actually said any of those things, then what exactly will the unedited tape prove? That she was provoked? You clearly have insecurity issues, among many, many other things, if someone can provoke you and get a reaction out of you when a) you know you're being recorded and b) the person flat out tells you they'll show the tape.

But that's fine. Continue to ignore the evidence about her prior nasty behavior, internal strife, documentation of her amateur job performance to stick up for yo' girl.
I think you need to get out into the world more. People are dying out there. ISIS is beheading folks. Wars rage on all over the globe. There is real life bad stuff going on out there, life and death matters going on. I think you've lived a pretty sheltered life as you are way too emotionally attached to this issue. You really think this stupid girl fight is worth national news. If you notice I've never argued against the suspension, I understand ESPN wants to protect their brand. That doesn't bother me. I just find the digital lynch mobs and the thin skinned people all over the country perturbing.

I guess maybe it's because I've seen people stabbed, I've seen people have their head driven through glass windows, people be violently assaulted, I've met violence with violence myself, maybe that is why the empty words of a sideline reporter don't bother me. I think Americans need to grow up and get over themselves and stop with all of the faux drama, mock outrage, and fake shock. Stick and stones and all that jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I have never treated another person the way she treated that employee. And I've never seen my husband or my friends do that either.

The fact that this 'reporter' did so easily tells me how absolutely vile she really is.
^Mock outrage, faux drama, and righteous indignation. I guess words will always hurt us in 2015.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Clown School
9,999 posts, read 4,235,224 times
Reputation: 11553
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I'm sure you've floated through life doing nothing but farting rainbows and spreading joy throughout the world.



I think you need to get out into the shedld more. People are dying out there. ISIS is beheading folks. Wars rage on all over the globe. There is real life bad stuff going on out there, life and death matters going on. I think you've lived a pretty sheltered life as you are way too emotionally attached to this issue. You really think this stupid girl fight is worth national news. If you notice I've never argued against the suspension, I understand ESPN wants to protect their brand. That doesn't bother me. I just find the digital lynch mobs and the thin skinned people all over the country perturbing.

I guess maybe it's because I've seen people stabbed, I've seen people have their head driven through glass windows, people be violently assaulted, I've met violence with violence myself, maybe that is why the empty words of a sideline reporter don't bother me. I think Americans need to grow up and get over themselves and stop with all of the faux drama, mock outrage, and fake shock. Stick and stones and all that jazz.


^Mock outrage, faux drama, and righteous indignation. I guess words will always hurt us in 2015.
Look at the bigger picture. Attitudes like hers, in other parts of the world, is much of what enables people to do terrible things to others.

Because of the circumstances into which she was born, cattiness is as far as she's likely to go. But if she grew up in a culture that accepted outright abuse of people seen as 'inferior', and didn't care about breaking a nail, there's no limit to what someone like that would do/allow.

It's not so much that she's the problem -- she's just an example of a symptom of a larger problem.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:11 AM
 
2,879 posts, read 4,026,903 times
Reputation: 1993
If a football/basketball/baseball player felt she asked a stupid question- or objected to her presence- and spoke to her in the same manner all heck would break loose.

What is truly telling to me is the way she criticized the woman. She did not act professionally at all- not because she blew her top but because her criticism had nothing to do with the issue at hand. No mention of whether she was parked legally, no question about company policy, and no asking about any type of grievance procedure in a rational manner. Nope, none of that. Instead she simply attacked the woman based on class, appearance, weight, social order, etc. That basically tells me that those are her go to comments and complaints. And that she has never developed any ability to express herself in a conflict/dispute.

A man who would acted like this would be vilified. Because she is a woman we have regressed to 'well it wasn't physical violence.' So much for equality.

And $5 says plenty of people who have encountered her through the years have a similar tale to tell.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:21 AM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,876,712 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I'm sure you've floated through life doing nothing but farting rainbows and spreading joy throughout the world.


I don't cuss out, demean or belittle people in public, especially if they're just doing their job. I don't care if they're being an ***hole to me, "going off" on them isn't going to solve anything, so I don't even bother. As an African American, I have had my fair share of opportunities to "go off" on someone for something they said to me. If I can bite my tongue when someone calls me a ******, then Britt should be able to handle being chastised by someone "beneath her".

Like I said, I wasn't raised in a barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I think you need to get out into the world more. People are dying out there. ISIS is beheading folks. Wars rage on all over the globe. There is real life bad stuff going on out there, life and death matters going on. I think you've lived a pretty sheltered life as you are way too emotionally attached to this issue. You really think this stupid girl fight is worth national news. If you notice I've never argued against the suspension, I understand ESPN wants to protect their brand. That doesn't bother me. I just find the digital lynch mobs and the thin skinned people all over the country perturbing.


You're assumption is incorrect. Period. No one is saying this woman should be buried under a jail. Just because there's other crap going on in the world that's worse than this doesn't give anyone a free pass to publicly act like an *** to someone and think there won't be any consequences.

That's like when people complain for getting pulled over while going 5 over the speed limit, when the cop could be assisting someone being robbed at gunpoint. One "wrong" doesn't become a "right" just because it's not as bad as another "wrong".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I guess maybe it's because I've seen people stabbed, I've seen people have their head driven through glass windows, people be violently assaulted, I've met violence with violence myself, maybe that is why the empty words of a sideline reporter don't bother me. I think Americans need to grow up and get over themselves and stop with all of the faux drama, mock outrage, and fake shock. Stick and stones and all that jazz.
Your hard knock life story doesn't excuse her behavior under the circumstances.

Just because Britt didn't break into the impound, recoup her car without payment and then run over Gina and 26 small children for good measure doesn't mean she shouldn't be reprimanded for her actions. Stop being enablers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:56 AM
 
672 posts, read 583,533 times
Reputation: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Ok, for ****s and giggles: Name 10 such people and why.
Here's the problem- you don't know about these women because many of them aren't able to get high profile jobs in their field because they are passed over for more attractive candidates who are not as qualified. Get where I am coming from? Google "female sports journalists". Oh, here, I will do it for you. Take a look at what comes up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fema...oe=&gws_rd=ssl

Ugh.

Some women who are working in this field who are both good journalists and sports reporters, who have had to work very hard to acheive this status

Peggy Kusinski | NBC Chicago < has toiled in local sports for ages. She is fantastic.

Rachel Nichols- although she is attractive, she is more so in a "fit" way, she isn't typical eye candy. She also attended a top journalism school. Chops galore, she owned Goodell. She's made it, but should have done so ages ago.

Pam Oliver found out about getting too old and having the eye candy aspect wear off, she was kicked to the curb for Erin Andrews, relegated to lesser profile assignment.

So, my point is that Ms McHenry has the advantage of being attractive, and appealing to the mouth breathing masses simply by virtue of having good looks. She has not done anything that changes my mindset of her being underqualified in areas of her job, except being eye candy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,876,712 times
Reputation: 8522
To piggy back off the above (great) post:

If you watch a college football game, you'll see what we're talking about regarding the sideline reports. The bigger the game, the "prettier" the sideline reporter.

For instance, Erin Andrews (dating an NHL player) was the main sideline reporter for primetime games on ESPN and ABC before she left for FOX (and bumping off Oliver), while Holly Rowe was the reporter for ESPN2 (or ESPN if the primetime game was on ABC) games. Holly Rowe has more experience and is better overall, and hasn't had any head-scratching moments like this gem.

This is the next Erin Andrews, Samantha Ponder (married to NFL Quarterback Christian Ponder).

No one is jealous of these women, we're just stating a fact, period.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Upper St. Clair, PA
367 posts, read 291,417 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Here's the problem- you don't know about these women because many of them aren't able to get high profile jobs in their field because they are passed over for more attractive candidates who are not as qualified. Get where I am coming from? Google "female sports journalists". Oh, here, I will do it for you. Take a look at what comes up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fema...oe=&gws_rd=ssl

Ugh.

Some women who are working in this field who are both good journalists and sports reporters, who have had to work very hard to acheive this status

Peggy Kusinski | NBC Chicago < has toiled in local sports for ages. She is fantastic.

Rachel Nichols- although she is attractive, she is more so in a "fit" way, she isn't typical eye candy. She also attended a top journalism school. Chops galore, she owned Goodell. She's made it, but should have done so ages ago.

Pam Oliver found out about getting too old and having the eye candy aspect wear off, she was kicked to the curb for Erin Andrews, relegated to lesser profile assignment.

So, my point is that Ms McHenry has the advantage of being attractive, and appealing to the mouth breathing masses simply by virtue of having good looks. She has not done anything that changes my mindset of her being underqualified in areas of her job, except being eye candy.
The examples you gave are of people who have already made it and have had accomplished careers. Mrs Kusinski has covered three different Olympiads! Pretty nice! She's been with ESPN earlier and probably just chooses to stay in Chicago now. (which is not a bad gig).

Attractive people are usually far more self confident in their appearance and therefore that shows on camera. If you are not confident in your appearance, how can you display such a high level of composure with the camera on you on a daily basis? They are able to remain relaxed on camera and therefore do their job so much better because of it. Sure, there are some unattractive people out there on camera, so the ones that do have the composure will get a chance if they warrant it. But normally, they lack the composure needed. Gina could never be a sideline reporter just like Britt could never hook a car up to a tow truck. Gina would crack with a (non-hidden) camera on her and Britt would crack about maybe breaking a nail.

Anyway, my point does not deny that her appearance helped her. But what I say is that all it did is give her a job over another attractive young female. Sideline reporting is an eye candy job, I don't deny that. It was her degree and experience that got her chosen over attractive females, and therefore what got her the job.

So today should be the last day of her suspension. Let's see how this all unfolds now!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Upper St. Clair, PA
367 posts, read 291,417 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

For instance, Erin Andrews (dating an NHL player) was the main sideline reporter for primetime games on ESPN and ABC before she left for FOX (and bumping off Oliver), while Holly Rowe was the reporter for ESPN2 (or ESPN if the primetime game was on ABC) games. Holly Rowe has more experience and is better overall, and hasn't had any head-scratching moments
like this gem.
Too many people act like this is where Erin Andrews started. I might not be as versed with Britt's career, but I am very much with Erin. She was absolutely fantastic while in Atlanta, and in particular when covering the Thrashers. (Maine Girl goes gets a telecommunications degree at U of Florida, she had hockey knowledge, and got a job covering hockey.)

This led to her moving to ESPN where she then become a reporter for (surprise, surprise) "National Hockey Night", where she stayed for a while. ESPN then opted to try and expand her career to other sports.

I hear to much about her not doing as well as a sideline reporter for college football. You know what? This is ESPN's fault. Hockey is her best element. If you see her cover hockey, you will see it. Of course, she probably makes too much money now and is too well known to ever exclusively become a hockey reporter again. But anyway, she didn't get to where she is because she's a hot blonde. She got there because she earned it by covering hockey for her early years. ESPN didn't have her in her best element after National Hockey Night. Blame them if you didn't like her work.

Unfortunately, Erin seems to need to make a better choice picking her hockey player boyfriend.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 AM
 
672 posts, read 583,533 times
Reputation: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
The examples you gave are of people who have already made it and have had accomplished careers. Mrs Kusinski has covered three different Olympiads! Pretty nice! She's been with ESPN earlier and probably just chooses to stay in Chicago now. (which is not a bad gig).

Attractive people are usually far more self confident in their appearance and therefore that shows on camera. If you are not confident in your appearance, how can you display such a high level of composure with the camera on you on a daily basis? They are able to remain relaxed on camera and therefore do their job so much better because of it. Sure, there are some unattractive people out there on camera, so the ones that do have the composure will get a chance if they warrant it. But normally, they lack the composure needed. Gina could never be a sideline reporter just like Britt could never hook a car up to a tow truck. Gina would crack with a (non-hidden) camera on her and Britt would crack about maybe breaking a nail.

Anyway, my point does not deny that her appearance helped her. But what I say is that all it did is give her a job over another attractive young female. Sideline reporting is an eye candy job, I don't deny that. It was her degree and experience that got her chosen over attractive females, and therefore what got her the job.

So today should be the last day of her suspension. Let's see how this all unfolds now!
You aren't getting my point, and I really don't get yours. I am an avid female sports fan. It really bugs me to no end to have to endure someone blathering about something that they clearly don't understand well, that they are only reading off of a prompter. I hate being treated like my segment of the audience, the female sports fan, is only interested in human interest stories.

And the attractive people being more self confident? Meh. People who know what they are talking about are more self confident.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top