Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
He should be punished. He did something awesome that hurt no one and helped expose dangerous flaws in the defenses of the U.S. Capital against gyrocopter borne threats,
I hate autocorrect. He should not be punished. That's what I wanted to say the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:00 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
With attitudes like these our country doesn't need outside enemies.
What country needs enemies? Are you saying that a government should be more concerned about its own citizens who believe in freedom than it should be about outside enemies? Sounds fascist to me. But when reading this forum, I'm not surprised.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
He did it as a protest. So he most likely knew there was a penalty going in.

Choosing to go through with it, he will now suffer the consequences. You pay to play.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:06 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
A better question is...why shouldn't he be punished?

If some nefarious person (or worse yet a terrorist) didn't already know that you can fly a small aircraft under radar to the capitol/white house virtually undetected, they most certainly do now thanks to this fool. I don't care what he was protesting, I hope they lock him up for a while.

Amen

Old 04-16-2015, 09:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What country needs enemies? Are you saying that a government should be more concerned about its own citizens who believe in freedom than it should be about outside enemies? Sounds fascist to me. But when reading this forum, I'm not surprised.
And I'm not surprised you totally miss the point and misconstrue my post.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
Quote:
I hate autocorrect. He should not be punished. That's what I wanted to say the first time.
You were right the first time.

"He meant well" is not an excuse.
It was an act that cannot be tolerated.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Why does everyone think punishment = jail time?

You get caught doing 10mph over the speed limit, you get punished, but you don't go to jail. Yes, he deserves punishment, because he broke the law. I don't think he deserves prison time.

Prison should be for people who need to be there. This guy doesn't. Give him some house arrest time, a nice fine, make him help out at a soup kitchen for a while and be on your way.

Yes, he's an idiot.. But a well intentioned idiot.

The reason he wasn't shot down was basically they knew he was coming. He posted it on his website, his friend (or borther or whatever) called the Secret Service and alerted them to it.. And.. Gee.. Firing a SAM missile at an ultralight over the national mall.. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Old 04-16-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You were right the first time.

"He meant well" is not an excuse.
It was an act that cannot be tolerated.
I'm tolerating it quite well. How many people's lives need to be ruined before you feel safe?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
Quote:
I'm tolerating it quite well. How many people's lives need to be ruined before you feel safe?

You think violating several restricted airspaces and
landing an aircraft on the Capitol lawn is acceptable?
Are you for real?

This had real potential to ruin lives...as in dead.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You think violating several restricted airspaces and
landing an aircraft on the Capitol lawn is acceptable?
Are you for real?

This had real potential to ruin lives...as in dead.
What potential? He never planned to do anything ba.

And if you send someone to an American prison you might as well kill them because their life is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events