Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Didn't know berating someone outside of a job is worthy of suspension, but what an idiot reporter full of herself.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-r...213500624.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5JesKdZJ2Y
She should be fired. If she were Black, ESPN would have already let her go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Your link does nothing but mention an unamed "source" who states that McHenry was somehow provoked into her display of narcissism. There is no evidence to support that contention.

McHenry's actions were personally rude and juvenile. With that said, it is ESPNs business as to how it deals with their employee.

McHenry is an entertainer who publically represents her employer. ESPN can decide if this is someone with whom they want to be associated.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:29 PM

797 posts, read 1,750,190 times
Quote:
Didn't know berating someone outside of a job is worthy of suspension, but what an idiot reporter full of herself.

I agree. What she said is despicable but I don't know if what she said was grounds for suspension. Hope she enjoys her 15 mins of fame as this will be infamous

Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Just another sad example of the Entitlement Generation.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,570 times
Likely attendant may have made a dig about the woman's looks—it's typically petty to attack people's looks and not that uncommon. Maybe she said it after the reporter was going on about her job in the news and her higher status.

But I doubt that it was the attendant who originally mentioned status, education, degrees, or salary. So, what on earth possessed the reporter to bring that up? Those comments seemed much more likely to be originating from her, not something that was in response to what the attendant was saying.

The attendant probably was rude. In response to that, most people might rage on about how crooked the towing company is, but not bring up their job or their degree. Only entitled, narcissistic snobs do that.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:13 AM

284 posts, read 492,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
And I can bet that's not the first time she's done it, this is just that time it's been made public.

When does her "I was misunderstood" statement come out?

She shouldn't be suspended, she should be fired. I'm sure there are thousands of people who can do her job.
I agree! I would not tolerate this sort of behaviour in an employee.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Here's the other interesting thing about this case: If this woman had been a nobody & insulted the towing company clerk in the same way, and even if it had still been filmed, I doubt we would have heard about this. It only went viral because she was an reporter.
Yes, but that's because she is a representative of a TV network that caters to the very people she is berating. There are a ton of non-college educated sport fans who have blue collar jobs. ESPN can't afford to lose that audience.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The same tow company, tried to tow a legally parked car, with kids in the back seat while the father was purchasing medicine for the kids. Not only did the woman in the video deserve every bit of abuse that reported was putting on her, she deserves to be in prison for being part of a car theft ring.
Well, I've got a piece of advice for you and anyone in a similar situation. It does not help to fight with the driver,insult the cashier at the company,try to take your car back etc. All this will do is create a situation where there's no chance of anyone listening to you, slooooow waaaaay down you getting your vehicle back or in the extreme landing you in jail without your car and legal fines on top of the towing bill.
I can tell you it is illegal to tow a car with someone inside, especially a minor where it "could" be considered kidnapping. If presented with this situation CALL THE POLICE. Yes, towing on private property is a civil matter but if a kid is in the car it becomes a police matter.

Another little tidbit for those that think "I'll only be a minute", we regularly had contests to see who could "hook and book" the fastest and let me tell you the slowest time was still under a minute. the fastest? About 35 seconds. This was without the new wheel lift trucks, this was back when all we had was a sling truck with J-hooks and chains so I'd bet it's quieter and a bit faster now.

As a side note, about 3 months ago I actually got nailed for illegal parking by Santa Monica Pier. Missed one little sign on a pole stacked with 5 other parking/no parking signs... Was I mad? Yep, at myself for missing it and paid the $60. What a racket right?????

I hate those poles where there are multiple signs saying "No Parking from X to X, Parking ok from X to Z, No Parking Tuesday from X to Y, 2 Hour Parking Mon-Wed X to Y etc,etc,etc.

I call that parking roulette...

Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Your link does nothing but mention an unamed "source" who states that McHenry was somehow provoked into her display of narcissism. There is no evidence to support that contention.

McHenry's actions were personally rude and juvenile. With that said, it is ESPNs business as to how it deals with their employee.

McHenry is an entertainer who publically represents her employer. ESPN can decide if this is someone with whom they want to be associated.
The towing company has admitted they edited the tape...the whole tape has not yet been given to media. Who knows what they cut out? Not that it excuses her, but we really don't know everything that happened. This tow company is shady as well, according to news reports they have massive complaints against them, much more than any other tow company.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:41 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:

I don't agree with acting pretentious and running someone down based on their education or lack of it.

I will say though that I find what towing companies do is egregious. They charge huge towing and storage fees and when you try to get them to compromise, they often point to state laws (which their lobby got enacted) that "require" them to charge huge amounts for the equivalent of taking a vehicle and leaving it on a fenced, vacant lot.

Its a problem that ought to be corrected. In a world of truly representative government, a few towing companies wouldn't be able to get away with murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events