Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:06 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Wait a minute, wouldn't serving Mexican food make the event more inviting to students of Hispanic heritage? It's not like they were serving Haggis and Sheperd's Pie, with "Uninvited Aliens" as the theme.
That would offend the Scotch and Irish-American students. Never mind, they are "white" so they don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I for one did not get the connection. I thought it was joke thing of sorts, so I opened the article to realize just what it was. In a different state of mind, I would've gotten it I suppose. Kind of a weak connection at best if you ask me, but I suppose it still checks out.

I remember during the SARS 'outbreak', Time magazine was debating on putting a picture of an Asian woman wearing one of those 'surgery masks' that filters out bad air. They thought it would've been received negatively with the implication being only Asians could get SARS and perhaps they're responsible for it or something? Instead, they put a white women wearing such a mask. They still got called out for being racist since now, it seems to send the meaning that foreigners need to be extra careful around Asians or something
If UC Santa Cruz ever holds a "SARS Education Seminar", it would be considered racist to ask Panda Express to cater the event.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:31 PM

California is really like a different planet. I live in this alien part of the U.S.A. Whenever I travel to another state, I feel like I have come home. California has become so screwed up that it is literally out of this world.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
What is the big deal. The largest ethnic group is Hispanic in California, so what is wrong with going with the flow and serving food for the biggest ethnic group. Kind of like admitting they are the leading group now.

People getting upset, and thinking it is looking down on Hispanics is crazy. What food should they have served, is the real question. There are so many different ethnic groups in California if someone in the group is going to be insulted by the food they serve, then they should just quit serving food at events like this so no one would get hurt by what they serve.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...considering that in the past, ICE has deported people back to 189 different countries, then I guess no food is safe lest someone get offended.

When I read the article, my first reaction was "What the...?"
I have been in a classroom where illegal aliens were openly saying that they were illegal aliens (they referred to themselves as "undocumented"), telling their "stories of oppression" and this was facilitated by a professor at a public university. I almost called ICE on my cellphone during this mandatory lecture(i.e. brainwashing session) but unfortunately my cell phone was dead. I got a B in the class, most likely because I was openly critical of the pro-illegal immigration indoctrination presented by the Mexican-American "professor".

Old 04-18-2015, 02:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What is the big deal. The largest ethnic group is Hispanic in California, so what is wrong with going with the flow and serving food for the biggest ethnic group. Kind of like admitting they are the leading group now.

People getting upset, and thinking it is looking down on Hispanics is crazy. What food should they have served, is the real question. There are so many different ethnic groups in California if someone in the group is going to be insulted by the food they serve, then they should just quit serving food at events like this so no one would get hurt by what they serve.
The big deal is that the so-called, vapid university permitted and made a big deal of it.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
One day libs will look back with regret at a country they destroyed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm sure this has already happened.

Yep, unfortunately.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There is a good chance they would be totally cool with that. The gay community doesn't seem to be quite as easily offended by such things and is pretty fond of (and good at) re-appropriating stereotypes as tongue in cheek sources of pride.
The "gay community" is sure offended by the notion that the definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

But you do have to realize that schools in CA are completely out of control.

This college at UCSC has segregated housing that ought to be illegal.
Yep. Can you imagine the outrage if the university had male only, white only, or heterosexual only housing? They are not "protected classes".

Quote:
Housing and Dining
  • Eight residence hall houses are located at Stevenson. Housing themes and options such as women-only, substance-free, Outdoor Adventure and Multicultural and Diversity House may be requested.
  • Housing Themes and Options at Stevenson College
  • A dining hall facility and cafe are located at the college.
What in tarnation is a "Multicultural and Diversity House"? Translation - no white people allowed. Separate but equal is good, according to the masters who rule the University of California.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There is a good chance they would be totally cool with that. The gay community doesn't seem to be quite as easily offended by such things and is pretty fond of (and good at) re-appropriating stereotypes as tongue in cheek sources of pride.

This "issue" was probably brought to light by a white kid who recently started taking social justice courses and is now on a guilt-fueled crusade to make everyone a boring zombie who speaks in entirely neutered language.
No doubt. Let him discover fandom, where the subcultures aren't even about human characteristics, but somehow everyone finds a way to enjoy their thing and let other people enjoy theirs. This crusading person has already shown, with this odd connection between a movie about bad aliens invading and mexican food, that he has a pretty good imagination.

Also, in case anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, mexican food has become pretty universal and popular, kind of like Italian food. Only thing which matters is if its really good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events