U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 11 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,710,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
They should have a do over Sci-Fi event and just serve Gagh. It would be pretty cheap to re-do it since they already have the decorations .. the only other thing they'd have to do is go dig up some live worms to serve the crowd

If we ever do meet actual aliens, better not serve them tex/mex food. But hmm, wonder if people will be offended if tex/mex is left off of the menu for 'real' space aliens

Sometimes ya just can't win, no matter what you do.
You could do Gagh for the main course and the gummy worm version the actors enjoyed for desert. And some raw meat. But what of the human cultures out there somewhere that eat worms? Would that be offensive?

Might be better if the real aliens kinda miss us... we might be on the menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm Scottish and I'm offended. Wait a minute. I love Mexican food and we make it regularly at home.

Such a bunch of crap! Some people just look for opportunities to get offended. The rest of us sane people should just stop walking on eggshells around them.

I'd have responded that just in case space aliens joined the party we'd have wanted to serve them some good tasting food. But then, of course, representatives of every other nationality would complain that their national foods weren't served, not including the Scots.
Lets see. Make the national dish of every culture, in equal amounts. Then dump them in a big vat and mix them together. So you served something from everywhere. Maybe it would taste so bad and just look like muck and they'd decide we weren't ready for the rest of the universe.

Or maybe it would look like something you feed farm animals and they'd decide just to wipe us out in case we had plans?

Old 04-18-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What is the big deal. The largest ethnic group is Hispanic in California, so what is wrong with going with the flow and serving food for the biggest ethnic group. Kind of like admitting they are the leading group now.

People getting upset, and thinking it is looking down on Hispanics is crazy. What food should they have served, is the real question. There are so many different ethnic groups in California if someone in the group is going to be insulted by the food they serve, then they should just quit serving food at events like this so no one would get hurt by what they serve.
I think it was more like what food will appeal to the widest range of attendees? Mexican food is pretty generalized in California and generally popular with everyone. And you can serve dishes which are really hot and those which are mild so everyone is happy.

I'll bet the food all vanished and nobody complained.

Of course you could say it wasn't *really* mexican food too. From what I've seen, people in Mexico have regional favorites, and the version of 'mexican' you get in most of California is more like another regional type. I lived in the IE, and most of the places including the fast food ones were much hotter than if you went up to norcal. So maybe it could just be argued they served California food.

All this talk of mexican food makes me want to go out to dinner at the local restraunt here in my town in Oklahoma which serves a more central mexico version as that is where the chef is from, but its yummy. For sure, I go there for my bday coming up soon.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:58 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,365,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think it was more like what food will appeal to the widest range of attendees? Mexican food is pretty generalized in California and generally popular with everyone. And you can serve dishes which are really hot and those which are mild so everyone is happy.

I'll bet the food all vanished and nobody complained.

Of course you could say it wasn't *really* mexican food too. From what I've seen, people in Mexico have regional favorites, and the version of 'mexican' you get in most of California is more like another regional type. I lived in the IE, and most of the places including the fast food ones were much hotter than if you went up to norcal. So maybe it could just be argued they served California food.

All this talk of mexican food makes me want to go out to dinner at the local restraunt here in my town in Oklahoma which serves a more central mexico version as that is where the chef is from, but its yummy. For sure, I go there for my bday coming up soon.
Probably Baja food. It's what most of us in southern California became used to. But it can be good. In much of Mexico the food itself isn't particularly hot. But the salsa sure can be.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:41 PM

781 posts, read 566,748 times
Ah yes, the social justice warriors. They're always good for a good belly laugh.....

Last edited by DetailSymbolizes; 04-18-2015 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 11:51 PM

4,094 posts, read 2,828,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
"Stevenson College is apologizing to its students for serving Mexican food during “Intergalactic” night."

The whole story and it's true and it's not The Onion: College Apologizes for Serving Mexican Food During Sci-Fi Event | PUNDIT PRESS

That's a real stretch, to say the least.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:59 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,804,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
No doubt. Let him discover fandom, where the subcultures aren't even about human characteristics, but somehow everyone finds a way to enjoy their thing and let other people enjoy theirs. This crusading person has already shown, with this odd connection between a movie about bad aliens invading and mexican food, that he has a pretty good imagination.

Also, in case anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, mexican food has become pretty universal and popular, kind of like Italian food. Only thing which matters is if its really good stuff.
Yeah, I'm sure that most likely the night was a bunch of multicultural sci fi fans who were totally stoked to watch Dune and Starship Troopers while eating some enchiladas. In walks our intrepid warrior, out on a Friday night, tirelessly looking for things to be offended and angered by, who sees a few people who appear to be of Latino heritage but can't see the obvious correlation between Zarthon the Destroyer, enchiladas, and undocumented immigrants because of their being subjected to a Eurocentric educational system, and were offended on their behalf.

What will be great is when they graduate and discover that no one is willing to pay them to be offended or remind others to check their privilege and blames society for not paying them to be a divisive, obnoxious, depressive weiner.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:12 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,821,987 times
Oh, it's UC Santa Cruz? Beautiful campus, almost more like a redwood forest than a university. They have signs up warning about mountain lions. I used to live in a tent there for a few months. What a view, riding the shuttle bus and coming out of the woods to see the ocean hoving into view not too far away!

I think Stevenson is quite small, iirc.

They seem to be overwhelmingly white, highly intelligent, and judging by hand-holding probably mostly hetero.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:43 AM

9,597 posts, read 9,437,293 times
I'm sorry, I'm late to this thread and its really, really late so I'm skipping eight pages of posts to observe: I've got friends who won't see anymore sci-fi movies because they've become so... multi-cultural. Meaning, the casting of so many African Americans in leading roles. The irony to me, is that HIspanics have mostly missed that boat. Am I wrong? Were there any Hispanic humanoids in any Star Trek universe? In the Matrix? So... yeah... maybe they should apologize...

Old 04-19-2015, 04:50 AM

11,759 posts, read 5,215,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm sorry, I'm late to this thread and its really, really late so I'm skipping eight pages of posts to observe: I've got friends who won't see anymore sci-fi movies because they've become so... multi-cultural. Meaning, the casting of so many African Americans in leading roles. The irony to me, is that HIspanics have mostly missed that boat. Am I wrong? Were there any Hispanic humanoids in any Star Trek universe? In the Matrix? So... yeah... maybe they should apologize...
They don't watch the NBA either, no?

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or