U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 AM

17,296 posts, read 14,844,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Are you being serious right now? Voyeuristic? To bring kids of all races on a field trip to a local college?

If, on the trip, they are going to be discussing what it's like to be a minority on campus, or any of the particular challenges black kids from poor communities may face, then yes.

Ya know what? I don't think that would be appropriate. I think it would be appropriate to have male and female construction workers talk to both male and female students. Not only would girls be able to see that girls can be construction workers too, but so would the boys.

If black people going to college is really as rare as you seem to think it is (let's remember that black student enrollment in college is actually increasing, while white student enrollment is decreasing), then perhaps it would be good for white students to also see that black people do go to college.

For the millionth time, I am not talking about all black kids, everywhere....apparently in THIS district, in this community, there is a problem with lack of black students enrolling in college, so they tried to address the problem in THIS district. Facts about black people in college in general don't apply at all.

Fast Facts

Do you think this is a black-only problem? There are plenty of poor white people who don't have family members who go to college...just as some black people think that college is for "white people," some poor white people think that college is just for "rich people." My mom was the first in her family to obtain a GED. She didn't exactly have good role models in regard to education.

Any district in any state can take whoever they want to colleges....this district or any other district that serves a poor white community can certainly take them to colleges.

Ya know, I only mentioned leaving the kids out as one part of my problem with this field trip. I also think it fosters racist thoughts (you yourself have repeated over and over that black kids don't have role models, that black kids don't know anyone who has gone to college, etc. etc.)

I just don't understand how anyone could think that this classic example of blatant discrimination is OK.
Again, I am talking about THIS community. There are many poor black communities where the kids are likely to have never met anyone who has gone to college...around me, Camden and Atlantic City are two that would be high on the list...that doesn't make me racist. Again, pointing out the fact of a particular racial group in a particular place as economically disadvantaged is not racist, if they actually are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
[/b]
The braniac who came up with this mess of a plan is Dr. G David Moss.

After being demoted from his position at Notre Dame he filed a discrimination complaint, and lost.
At the time, Moss was supervising a black student group on campus, Call to Action, which the complaint says raised issues of racism at Notre Dame. He then filed a lawsuit.

Former Notre Dame assistant VP sues university - South Bend Tribune: Local

Whether he won or lost the lawsuit, I'm confident this guy will come up with many more knuckle-headed ideas for racial separation in store for South Bend students.
He was hired ONLY to address the problems of black students in the district, so I can't see how you can blame him for doing what his school "corporation" hired him to do. He didn't have the authority nor the budget to plan anything for anyone except the black kids...blame the "corporation" that runs the school and created his position if you want, but he was doing what they were paying him to do.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I think what bothers me much more than the blatant exclusion of a segment of the school population, is that
the first college on their field trip agenda was Ivy Tech.

Ivy Tech for crying out loud.

One of the best schools in the country is in their backyard and the moron chooses to start it off with a trip to community college.

Way to have them shoot for the stars.
I see nothing wrong with community college, especially for the first 2 years. These kids are poor for the most part. I did my first 2 years at CC then transferred to a very hard to get into school for occupational therapy, where I got a $3000 a year scholarship due to my high CC GPA...if I applied right from high school I wouldn't even have gotten accepted. Plus the fact I saved $32,000...I don't know why CC gets a bad rap, it's a great place to start for those not wanting to pay $200,000 back for a job where they make $35,000 a year.

My niece, 2 year degree as LPN = 3 years later $50,000 a year, benefits.
My cousin, BA in Psychology but cant find a job, works retail.

Sorry for hijack, I felt that needed addressing.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:57 AM

9,107 posts, read 4,531,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He was hired ONLY to address the problems of black students in the district, so I can't see how you can blame him for doing what his school "corporation" hired him to do. He didn't have the authority nor the budget to plan anything for anyone except the black kids...blame the "corporation" that runs the school and created his position if you want, but he was doing what they were paying him to do.
As an equal opportunity blamer, I blame the district for creating a full-time position for someone to develop racial and discriminatory programs; Ross for coming up with this specific idea; and the administrators who gave the ok to these field trips.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:53 AM

5,264 posts, read 8,053,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I see nothing wrong with community college, especially for the first 2 years. These kids are poor for the most part. I did my first 2 years at CC then transferred to a very hard to get into school for occupational therapy, where I got a $3000 a year scholarship due to my high CC GPA...if I applied right from high school I wouldn't even have gotten accepted. Plus the fact I saved $32,000...I don't know why CC gets a bad rap, it's a great place to start for those not wanting to pay $200,000 back for a job where they make $35,000 a year.

My niece, 2 year degree as LPN = 3 years later $50,000 a year, benefits.
My cousin, BA in Psychology but cant find a job, works retail.

Sorry for hijack, I felt that needed addressing.
Sigh.

I'm just going to cut and paste what I said to another poster regarding community college in this very thread:

Quote:
Good for them.

But if you want to inspire kids, and they happen to live in the same town where one of the nation's best colleges is located (one that promises to meet 100% of a student's demonstrated financial need) and the first place you take the 3rd graders is Ivy Tech, you're a moron.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:15 AM

52,692 posts, read 75,557,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Well, so many people are always hollering about how the "black community" needs to do something about their youth. Then when they do something you still get hollering. I guess there is no winning.
This is the same thing I was thinking. Damned if you so something to pull yourself up and damned if you don't. I think this quote is the one people need to think about from the article: But mom Erika Herron told the TV station that she understood Mossís point. ďI donít think itís a race issue, I think itís giving black students a chance, letting them know that thereís something else out there besides being out here in these streets,Ē she said

Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
In all actuality, many of the posters here are correct. This is public education with public monies and they shouldn't do anything special to help a specific group of people. In fact, blacks really shouldn't depend on white institutions to fix their problems. The best thing for blacks to do is to turn away from the Christian religion and embrace their natural religion, Islam. The Nation of Islam will do a better job of getting black Americans in shape so that whites don't have to worry about blacks committing crimes against them. It's probably the best course for black families. Christianity is way too fragmented for it to do any good.
Some would argue that Islam isn't the answer and keep in mind that the Muslim slave trade was just as bad, if not worse in Africa. Some may say to go to groups like the Moorish Temple or the Israelite groups as well.

Sadly, you are going to see an increase in segregated education in terms of Whites going to selective public school districts, private and selective charter schools, while Black students are going to be left with urban public school districts, certain suburban districts and certain charter and private schools. You'll have areas that are in between, but you are seeing this separation playing out in this country and even within the same school districts. I think this is another reason why the South Bend SD decided to do what they did, as they may be addressing an unfortunate trend and are doing anything to stop it from becoming a reality.

I will say this, I do think that all struggling students should have been included, but I think that even if you did this, the demography of said students would be mostly Black, unfortunately. Hence, the specialized program.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-21-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's the resentment of OVERT discrimination.

Blacks can do it and everyone defends them but if Whites do it all hell breaks loose about segregation and inequality.
That would mean that Blacks and Whites have the same "struggle" in terms of degree/volume, which is not the case. You can't be the larger society in terms of demographics and economic, social and other forms of "power" and also be the minority and the most disenfranchised too. Basically, it isn't a tit for tat argument.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
They are in the third grade. How does anyone know which kids will and will not go to college? We aren't talking about busing a group of 10th graders who are on the verge of dropping out. We are talking about small children who probably only have a very vague understanding of what college even is.

So, do we tell the white kids, "Oh, we already know that you guys are going to college! We're going to take the black kids, because if we don't take them, they're not going to go to college, and they're going to end up on food stamps!"

Then we tell the black kids, "We're taking you guys, and you guys only, because we already know the white kids are going to college! We don't want you guys to turn out like losers like the older black kids in our district!"

Please, tell me how good that does? The white kids probably feel left out and a little angry toward their black schoolmates (and we can't have them being little racists, can we? Surely, it would be about how they were raised, not because of the school excluding them), and the black kids will be taught they need special treatment and an extra push over what the other kids get in order to succeed.

Do you not see how that can be harmful for both sides?

As for the community doing something about it, perhaps some of the black people from the community could get together and organize a weekend or afterschool trip, separate from the school district? That would have been fine. Separating the kids on a regular school day and forcing taxpayers to pay for a special trip for one race of children and no other isn't right.
I suggest checking this out: http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...e-third-grade/

Also, check out the school to prison pipeline.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM

9,107 posts, read 4,531,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is the same thing I was thinking. Damned if you so something to pull yourself up and damned if you don't. I think this quote is the one people need to think about from the article: But mom Erika Herron told the TV station that she understood Mossís point. ďI donít think itís a race issue, I think itís giving black students a chance, letting them know that thereís something else out there besides being out here in these streets,Ē she said
Maybe you don't see the difference between a discriminatory activity occurring in and promoted by the schools and something like this:

"Organizers say it's the first meeting of its kind in the area. Over 800 black teens came together today to meet with black leaders in the community. The summit happened at Faith Apostolic Ministries in South Bend.

http://www.fox28.com/story/26462729/2014/09/05/south-bend-schools-hosts-summit-for-black-teens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or