U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This seems to be a "Stunt" to endear themselves to other races and make the races "come together".

It might work, stay tuned.
Not even.

Its disheartening to me that when I was a kid and teen in the 90's, the big emphasis was on equality. the empahsis in the media and schools was that all races and cultures should get along and be cool with one another.

Now, I see more of a shift to segregating and "othering" groups perpetrated by both extremes of the sociopolitical spectrum rather than just the right. one side does it because of some absurd sense of "justice," the other does it out of xenophobia, both end up coming to the same bigoted results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 AM

9,781 posts, read 7,102,126 times
This is a stupid idea. They are segregating the kids that are not doing as well from the other kids to take them on a special field trip?

If they want ot inspire the black kids to try harder in school why don't they just show them a photo of Obama. Love him or hate him he is a smart guy with drive and he made it all the way to the White House. The sky is the limit with these kids all they need is determination.

I would teach them black history including the scary bad parts which schools in an attempt to be PC seem to gloss over.
Give them a perspective on how far their people have come in American History and how far they have yet to go.
Give them Pride to be black and to be a positive member of society.

Kids Hit the Books. You have more options out then sports or music.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:57 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yet another example of social engineering overreach by over paid and under worked public school administrators.

School systems need to focus on teaching kids how to read & write.

It they had tried a Whites only field trip, it would be like a nuclear bomb went off.
Public schools are a joke, privatize public schools and let the parents choose which private schools to send their children. Competition is a good thing in the school world.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 AM

4,932 posts, read 2,562,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
T

If they want to inspire the black kids to try harder in school why don't they just show them a photo of Obama. Love him or hate him he is a smart guy with drive and he made it all the way to the White House. The sky is the limit with these kids all they need is determination.
Good point.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:48 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,141,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Public schools are a joke, privatize public schools and let the parents choose which private schools to send their children. Competition is a good thing in the school world.
Crime and teen pregnancy will raise

Old 04-18-2015, 07:58 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
So if I started a group for whites only, to support qualified whites who are being passed over for jobs being given to the under qualified non-whites, would people reason that out and make excuses for my behavior, or would they just call me a racist and be done with it?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Crime and teen pregnancy will raise
More fear mongering I see.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM

17,203 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
This could be considered discriminatory, yes, but not racist. People don't understand the definitions of the words they use.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 AM

17,203 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
So if I started a group for whites only, to support qualified whites who are being passed over for jobs being given to the under qualified non-whites, would people reason that out and make excuses for my behavior, or would they just call me a racist and be done with it?
All they did is take some black 3rd graders to meet and talk to some black college students, so they'd know that black people go to college, too. Is that really worth outrage? Is it really the same as starting a discriminatory group? It's not like they took the black kids to Disney World but not anyone else.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:54 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,467,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Yes, There's Still Segregation in 2013 - at Prom and in Life
Wilcox County High School students in the tiny town of Rochelle, Georgia,
You are aware that's the way the STUDENTS (both black and white) want it right? If I remember correctly when this was first brought to light a huge uproar was raised and they were forced to segregate much to their displeasure. Again if I remember correctly it wasn't a race thing but a cultural thing (music,food etc.) like one group wanted rap and the other didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or