U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:17 AM

27,362 posts, read 15,077,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm not outraged. I'm just asking The question. Would you see this as racist if white people did the same, used a similar excuse, and only invited white children to participate in their group?

Of course you would. So would everybody else. The reasoning is lame, the behavior is racist. Who in this day and age doesn't know that black people can and do go to college?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Well, so many people are always hollering about how the "black community" needs to do something about their youth. Then when they do something you still get hollering. I guess there is no winning.
^^^ Both good points. I think that the school should have included ALL students whose grades were falling; to separate by race was just not very good thinking on their behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Take'em all (of all colors) on a tour of the local County Jail. Much more effective in keeping kids on the straight path.
No, it's not. Young minds are capable of being inspired though - give them something to aspire TO not aspire FROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One of the things that disappoints me most about Obama is that he has not used his bully pulpit much to elevate black childrens' aspirations. He could have been an inspiration and done much to eliminate perpetual underclass activities such as dropping out, teen sex and delinquency. Instead he, and Eric Holder, have mostly stirred the racial pot.
You know, he simply cannot win on this issue. White conservatives ALREADY feel that he has used his bully pulpit to promote blacks to the exclusion of others. A quick tour around CD will tell you that. But, blacks feel that he hasn't done enough. As the first black president - he's had to walk this minefield on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 AM

17,348 posts, read 14,867,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's the resentment of OVERT discrimination.

Blacks can do it and everyone defends them but if Whites do it all hell breaks loose about segregation and inequality
And there you go. Thanks for proving my point so succinctly.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:08 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,818,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because the problem of low college enrollment, at least in that district IS divided by race. If 98% of their high school students applying to college are white, then why on earth should they spend money to encourage white kids to apply to college??? Just to spend the money for nothing at all except some sort of misguided sense of, what, exactly?

I'm glad people here live in rich districts where the entire class can be afforded everything, but the reality is most districts can't even afford to take kids to the zoo anymore....this one is using limited funds to try to make a dent in a problem that costs all of us in the long term. It sounds simple to say "take them all" when that actually involves more busses, more staff, etc. If they can only afford to take the black kids or no kids, you'd rather it be no kids? You'd rather pay for their food stamps later? just so the white kids don't feel hurt and left out?

I just feel the bigger picture, our future, is not being looked out, and I suspect it comes from some sort of resentment of black people. The arguments here sound to me like many of the threads on relationships, where men complain that if woman want to be equal, they need to pay for dates...this is the version of that that goes "if they're going to complain about being shot by the cops and they want to be treated equally in the law, than it has to extend to every single thing in the world". It's a highly short-sighted and ugly attitude, JMO.
Putting the kids on a bus and sending them to a local college doesn't cost any more than just the fuel for the bus. It's surely cheaper than a trip to the zoo. The staff members were already going to be there and getting paid either way, whether on the bus or in the classroom.

And yes, if they can't take them all, then they should take none. Maybe invite a few people to come in and act as guest speakers at the school instead.

Are you seriously saying that sending these third graders to a local college is sure way to prevent them from going on food stamps? And if they don't go, then they will be on food stamps? That's what I gathered from your post, and I think it's sad you feel that way.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 AM

18,245 posts, read 25,941,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There is something to be said for the discipline demanded by Islam. Africans in Muslim areas have much lower rates of AIDS than in Christian areas. If it wasn't for the jihad problem...
Yeah but that poster said Nation of Islam. NOI and traditional islam are two different things.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:15 AM

8,520 posts, read 4,747,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As well as illegal and disgusting.

It seems they may not want whites to witness political content, radicalization etc.
I think you're reaching with this statement. Let's just live it at "they shouldn't have excluded students by race"...

Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 AM

1,603 posts, read 842,471 times
Will the non-black taxpayers funding the school (and thus this trip) receive a refund on that portion of their taxes?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That is the bigger issue to me.

I'm white, and when I was a kid in Seattle, I went to a school called Coleman Elementary, later renamed "The African American Academy." I was one of the only white kids there, with the school being mostly black and Asian. Even before the name and mission statement change, it featured more of an emphasis on African and African American culture than most other schools would, and that was fine, really. They would bring in guest speakers who were members of the black community who were writers, musicians, artists, etc to lead us in class projects and I was never excluded, even though these projects were largely geared towards the black majority of the students. I have no complaints about this as an adult.

Though the school was a mess and I have more complaints about it than good things to say, being included in these events and activities did more to help me appreciate the challenges the black community faces and think positively of it than did anyone ever telling me that I don't get it because I'm white and excluding me from personal experiences understanding the black community.

Regardless of their intentions, the school district made a big mistake with this. I don't understand how an educator could have possibly thought that it would be better to exclude than include students of other races in this field trip, especially one done with public funds, in a public institution.
I agree with your statement. When I was in the Black Student Union in high school we didn't even exclude other races.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 AM

17,348 posts, read 14,867,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Putting the kids on a bus and sending them to a local college doesn't cost any more than just the fuel for the bus. It's surely cheaper than a trip to the zoo. The staff members were already going to be there and getting paid either way, whether on the bus or in the classroom.

And yes, if they can't take them all, then they should take none. Maybe invite a few people to come in and act as guest speakers at the school instead.

Are you seriously saying that sending these third graders to a local college is sure way to prevent them from going on food stamps? And if they don't go, then they will be on food stamps? That's what I gathered from your post, and I think it's sad you feel that way.
The reality in that district is that most of the black students are not enrolling in college, and many are ending up on food stamps. Again, it is not racist to point out a group as economically disadvantaged based on race if in that district they actually are....if I'm a taxpayer in that district, I'm going to seriously question why you are taking kids who are already enrolling in college in great numbers out of school to encourage them to go to college, again, when they already are....as a taxpayer, I'm going to applaud efforts to get more black kids to go to college again, if I live in an area where they are not, and as a result, they are relying on welfare and food stamps in numbers significantly higher than the white kids, which apparently they are. We are not talking about all black kids everywhere, we are talking about these kids, in this district. The money and focus on solving problems needs to be on where the problems actually lie, not in some feel good "everyone gets to miss class today for no real reason!" ridiculousness. Nothing is a sure thing, that doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

I feel black people can't win on these boards. There are a million threads complaining "why aren't they trying to better their own communities?"...in this case, one black adult went to the district volunteering to try to put this thing together in an effort that will hopefully one day reap benefits for the entire community (yes, even the whites!) and he succeeded, now everyone is complaining about this, too.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Will the non-black taxpayers funding the school (and thus this trip) receive a refund on that portion of their taxes?
No, it doesn't work that way...

Old 04-19-2015, 11:24 AM

1,603 posts, read 842,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
No, it doesn't work that way...
Being forced to fund clearly racist and discriminatory public programs via taxpayer dollars is legal?

I find that hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or