U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:33 AM

49,251 posts, read 39,688,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well that's just stupid. Anyway, she got her name out there which is what her manager and publicist wanted.
Yeah, when trying to become a star you always try to "feud up" and Taylor Swift is a big target of course.

Sorry Rue whatsherface....going to have to try to get some famous NFL player to start dating you or make a sex tape with an actual famous person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:12 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,745,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Why do people ignore the fact that Egyptians aka Africans aka black people wore wigs? Wow. Ugh the ignorance hurts me.
Wait, did you just claim that Egyptians were "black people"?

Have you ever visited Egypt? I'm guessing no. Egyptians, 99% of them, look exactly the same as everyone else in the Middle East.

Egypt has nothing whatsoever to do with African Americans in the U.S. It's thousands of miles from where African-descended people in the Americas have their original origins. You might as well claim that African Americans are Swedes or Turks or Koreans or something.

Also, why do people sometimes using Egypt as this symbol of greatness? Egypt is one of the most screwed up places on earth. Many black African nations these days are much richer and more prosperous than Egypt. Someplace like Botswana is like Switzerland compared to Egypt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
And blacks wore wigs and makeup long before they knew about caucasians, that's apart of their culture! And now suddenly you're damning them for paying homage to what's in their blood? What's apart of their culture? God.
You are telling me that Africans in the bush were wearing human hair weaves and using straighteners 500 years ago? I would like to see some evidence of this claim.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM

4,773 posts, read 2,215,465 times
Who knew that braids were invented by people with black skin!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:52 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,458,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
What if black women not try so hard to look like white women and allow their hair to be curly instead of wearing weaves or using chemicals to straighten it out. See blacks try to be white as well.
White women straighten, perm and dye (chemicals) their hair. Yet that has no meaning because it's their hair and they can do what they want, just as black women can and do. So what exactly is your point?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Speak for yourself.

I can't think of a single thing that I would deem as "black culture" that I like. "Donk" cars? No thank you. Wearing my pants down around my knees? Uh, not quite. Rap music? Nope.

Now, I do like hip hop... from the 80's/90's, anyway. I also liked the Cosby show (which really has nothing to do with black culture either.) Used to watch "In Living Color" and thought it was great. But blacks can't claim comedy as "black" culture. Funny is funny.

I think Rue has it all wrong. Most artists who are successful become so because their music is enjoyed by fans of MANY cultures.
To be honest, I don't even know what black culture is. Who gets to decide?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Who knew that braids were invented by people with black skin!
Whites have always braided their hair as far as I know.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:02 PM

4,773 posts, read 2,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Whites have always braided their hair as far as I know.
They have, but according to the Rue video braids are black culture.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
They have, but according to the Rue video braids are black culture.
It sounds like she needs some schooling. Sure, more black girls and women wear their hair in braids in public , but braids (or weaved hair) probably dates back to ancient times.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,745,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
It sounds like she needs some schooling. Sure, more black girls and women wear their hair in braids in public , but braids (or weaved hair) probably dates back to ancient times.
Yep. The Greeks braided their hair. So did the Romans. Probably went back to the beginning of civilization.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:37 PM

58 posts, read 55,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
What if black women not try so hard to look like white women and allow their hair to be curly instead of wearing weaves or using chemicals to straighten it out. See blacks try to be white as well.
Why am I not surprised you came spewing your racism yet again? Women of other races perm their hair; be it to make to straight OR CURLY! Maybe if society didn't make so many black women to feel "ashamed" of their God-given "curls," they would embrace it much more. There are jobs that WONT HIRE YOU if you have natural hair. It is frowned upon in many places. You will never know what it is like to be judged and scrutinized physically and otherwise sans privilege. It is so embedded and the norm for you, that you are incapable of being objective and are therefore clueless; just as how I will never know what it is like to be privileged merely because of my skin color. This doesn't mean there aren't poor/disadvantage white people, I would be ignorant to deny that, but not nearly as much as those with privilege. I respect the handful that I've encountered that are humble and honest enough to admit this.

Are white women trying "to be black" by getting lip injections and butt lifts/implants? The pervasive ignorance is mind boggling. Americans are the most in denial culture when it comes to racism. Many will claim it doesn't exist and others are "just pulling the race card" when it ever so clearly still exists. Maybe not to the extent it did, say 100 years ago, but there is much more progress to be made in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or