U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:42 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,193,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion&business101 View Post
Why am I not surprised you came spewing your racism yet again? Women of other races perm their hair; be it to make to straight OR CURLY! Maybe if society didn't make so many black women to feel "ashamed" of their God-given "curls," they would embrace it much more. There are jobs that WONT HIRE YOU if you have natural hair. It is frowned upon in many places. You will never know what it is like to be judged and scrutinized physically and otherwise sans privilege. It is so embedded and the norm for you, that you are incapable of being object and are therefore clueless; just as how I will never know what it is like to be privileged merely because of my skin color. This doesn't mean there aren't poor/disadvantage white people, I would be ignorant to deny that, but not nearly as much as those with privilege. I respect the handful that I've encountered that are humble and honest enough to admit this.

Are white women trying "to be black" by getting lip injections and butt lifts/implants? The pervasive ignorance is mind boggling. Americans are the most in denial culture when it comes to racism. Many will claim it doesn't exist and others are "just pulling the race card" when it ever so clearly still exists. Maybe not to the extent it did, say 100 years ago, but there is much more progress to be made in this country.
The Miss Rue video makes quite a point about non-black people braiding their hair because they are borrowing black culture. It's complete nonsense. It's shocking that people have ideas like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 03:08 PM

58 posts, read 55,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The Miss Rue video makes quite a point about non-black people braiding their hair because they are borrowing black culture. It's complete nonsense. It's shocking that people have ideas like that.
I believe she is talking about more recent times...but it's sorta true..to me at least. Granted on vacay, especially in the Caribbean/on cruises you'll see plenty of it, but the way the magazine featuring Kendall's braids made it seem like a "new development" was laughable at best.

There's plenty of examples of this. For instance, a black women wearing boldly colored hair i.e. red, green, purple, etc. was considered "ghetto" and uncouth several years back, but now that it is mainstream, it is deemed more acceptable and one doesn't have those negative labels pinned to them for wearing color-eccentric hair. I personally find it tacky so I wouldn't wear it (even though dark purple mixed with darker hair can be cute).

Or let's consider twerking which was viewed as tacky and overly sexualized way the "oversexed" black people danced and now, everyone and their granny think it's "cool" to release twerking videos after Miley.

DNA spews his/her racist tangents on multiple threads, often asking and stating dumb, baseless questions/platitudes.

In a perfect world, everyone would get to know people for people, and not have so many judgments and preconceived notions. Racism is rooted in xenophobia, or the fear of the unknown. Many people live in a bubble and it's hard for them to come out of that bubble in order to not think they have someone down-pact merely because of their race without even conversing with them. I am an avid traveler and I love learning about new cultures. I've met people who never ever met a black person before in real life and only know what they've seen/heard via media, but once getting to know me, they got to know me as an individual, not according to how others (namely Americans) portrays us in media. Knowledge dispels ignorance. And yes, I am equally disappointed when I see a person of color painting all whites with the same brush too. And yes I also believe there are behaviors that black americans need to change (although I am not native to America and my values more closely mirrors that of my native heritage).

Last edited by fashion&business101; 04-19-2015 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 04:06 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,756,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Are you sure about this? I will admit I am generally ignorant of the history of Sub-Saharan Africa, but I find it very hard to believe that it was common for West African tribal society to be using wigs and straighteners back then, before slavery.

I mean, it isn't very common in Africa even now. Why would it be super common back 500 years ago, with dirt-poor tribes in the African bush? They probably never even heard of a weave or human hair wig.
Yes I’m sure. Racially biased 19th & 20th century anthropology is one of the biggest contributors to the misconception you displayed. Just to name a couple of black cultures that used wigs, makeup, etc. are the eighth to seventh centuries in Egypt and Nubia in North East Africa. You bring up Sub-Saharan Africa like the blacks outside of Sub-Saharan Africa on the continent don’t count. Africa wasn’t dirt poor in the past, the continent was robbed of its people and wealth.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:09 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,756,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Tanning is a social convention that originated amongst the upper classes to announce that they had free time to be out doing athletic things in the sun. It has nothing to do with black people.

Ironically, it is the opposite of the historic norm in which nobility wanted to be as light as possible to show that they weren't out in the fields working. It shows the change of things from the lower classes working mostly outdoors to working mostly indoors in factories and sweat shops.

Learn your history, get over yourself...all of that stuff your websites profess is good advice.
The same can be said about a certain type of person that claims black women are trying to look white by straightening their hair.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:47 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,193,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion&business101 View Post
I believe she is talking about more recent times...but it's sorta true..to me at least. Granted on vacay, especially in the Caribbean/on cruises you'll see plenty of it, but the way the magazine featuring Kendall's braids made it seem like a "new development" was laughable at best.

There's plenty of examples of this. For instance, a black women wearing boldly colored hair i.e. red, green, purple, etc. was considered "ghetto" and uncouth several years back, but now that it is mainstream, it is deemed more acceptable and one doesn't have those negative labels pinned to them for wearing color-eccentric hair. I personally find it tacky so I wouldn't wear it (even though dark purple mixed with darker hair can be cute).

Or let's consider twerking which was viewed as tacky and overly sexualized way the "oversexed" black people danced and now, everyone and their granny think it's "cool" to release twerking videos after Miley.

DNA spews his/her racist tangents on multiple threads, often asking and stating dumb, baseless questions/platitudes.

In a perfect world, everyone would get to know people for people, and not have so many judgments and preconceived notions. Racism is rooted in xenophobia, or the fear of the unknown. Many people live in a bubble and it's hard for them to come out of that bubble in order to not think they have someone down-pact merely because of their race without even conversing with them. I am an avid traveler and I love learning about new cultures. I've met people who never ever met a black person before in real life and only know what they've seen/heard via media, but once getting to know me, they got to know me as an individual, not according to how others (namely Americans) portrays us in media. Knowledge dispels ignorance. And yes, I am equally disappointed when I see a person of color painting all whites with the same brush too. And yes I also believe there are behaviors that black americans need to change (although I am not native to America and my values more closely mirrors that of my native heritage).
French braids were not invented in Africa.

I thought that unnaturally coloured hair came from the 1970s science fiction movies such as Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange. The mom in Clockwork Orange wore mini skirts and died her hair purple. For me, science fiction is the inspiration for unnaturally coloured hair, and I don't remember anything unacceptable about it.

What Miley does with her butt is trashy. She's trashy. Anyone that moves like that in public reminds me of a dog in heat. Women should have more dignity than to act like a dog in heat.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 PM

718 posts, read 468,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
What if black women not try so hard to look like white women and allow their hair to be curly instead of wearing weaves or using chemicals to straighten it out. See blacks try to be white as well.
Curly hair is not exclusive to black women. Also they do not "perm" their hair to be more white; likewise, white women do not curl their hair to be more black.

I've read plenty of your "illegitimate black baby" threads, and it's mind boggling that you continue to spew this nonsensical bullsh*t and the mods haven't shut you down. You're a racist bigot and it's time you logged off the internet.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:58 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,529,337 times
"classic" Rock and Roll comes from Rockabilly - Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and Jerry Lee Lewis were among the beginnings of Rockabilly, and later Rock and Roll. Elvis is still noted as the King of Rock and Roll. Defining features of the rockabilly sound included strong rhythms, vocal twangs and common use of the tape echo; but the progressive addition of different instruments and vocal harmonies led to its "dilution".

Tap Dance came from African and Irish slaves coming together on plantations in the US and Carribean. Irish step dancing did not include arm movements. Africans added the arm movement, and did away with the need to do fancy footwork staying in one place.

It amazes me how both cultures contribute to each other, but have a need to 'own' something solely, lol. We have been together a long time, yet dont seem to want to acknowledge that. It's as if we met yesterday or something, instead of thousands of years ago.

Am I the only one on this forum that remembers the popular movie '10' (1979) starring Bo Derek and Dudley Moore? Bo sported cornrows and beads no less, lol. Miss Jenner is hardly reinventing the wheel for white women. Bo did it before Miss Jenner was even born. Everyone has been braiding their hair for thousands of years - what is a French Braid? Couldnt it be described as one big cornrow?

I would imagine the term 'cornrow' comes from black carribean culture, but I could be wrong. *shrugs*

If we look at the colors of different dynasties in Egypt, those figures range in color from pink to black.

Then we have the famous Cocaine Mummies found in Egypt. Coca only grows in South America. How did these Egyptian mummies come by it in their life?

As with Tap, the collaboration of different cultures can be magical.

I dont think most of the world really knows its history. We dont even recognise how powerful the ancient and totally overplayed tactic of 'divide and conquer' is. Overall, most people, regardless of color, are just plain selfish and stupid, imho.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Curly hair is not exclusive to black women. Also they do not "perm" their hair to be more white; likewise, white women do not curl their hair to be more black.

I've read plenty of your "illegitimate black baby" threads, and it's mind boggling that you continue to spew this nonsensical bullsh*t and the mods haven't shut you down. You're a racist bigot and it's time you logged off the internet.
EXACTLY! Then when you ask him/her to link statistics/evidence to back up the idiotic, racist claims, radio silence! Most of the claims are based on his/her hatred for people of color and then when you reply with actual facts, no response!! He/she just needs to admit that he/she is racist and part of the reason why America has a lllooonnggg way to go before there is true equality.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
French braids were not invented in Africa.

I thought that unnaturally coloured hair came from the 1970s science fiction movies such as Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange. The mom in Clockwork Orange wore mini skirts and died her hair purple. For me, science fiction is the inspiration for unnaturally coloured hair, and I don't remember anything unacceptable about it.

What Miley does with her butt is trashy. She's trashy. Anyone that moves like that in public reminds me of a dog in heat. Women should have more dignity than to act like a dog in heat.
I never said they were "invented in Africa." I said in RECENT American history, black americans mainly wear cornrows. I am not talking about a singular plat/plait/fishtail/center part, two braids at the side type style but rows of braids going backwards. I have seldom found white people in America in more recent times wearing multiple rows of braids going from the front of their head to the nape of their neck, in different designs, etc.

Outlandish colored hair on white people in more recent times has been thought of as "emo" or "goth" or "creative expression" and never ghetto. That connotation has been strictly associated with women of color. Granted, as I've said before "green" or "bright red" hair is tacky in my opinion, but there was a stigma attached to it and black women. Anyway, no matter what, people will try to discredit the things said here, along with those who do not want to admit racism is still alive and well in America so que sera. Who feels it knows it. We will never conquer what we don't confront.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
"classic" Rock and Roll comes from Rockabilly - Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and Jerry Lee Lewis were among the beginnings of Rockabilly, and later Rock and Roll. Elvis is still noted as the King of Rock and Roll. Defining features of the rockabilly sound included strong rhythms, vocal twangs and common use of the tape echo; but the progressive addition of different instruments and vocal harmonies led to its "dilution".

I dont think most of the world really knows its history. We dont even recognise how powerful the ancient and totally overplayed tactic of 'divide and conquer' is. Overall, most people, regardless of color, are just plain selfish and stupid, imho.
Have you ever watched any biopics about Motown and historical black musical figures such as James Brown, Little Richard, etc.?

Many record execs STOLE their music and gave it to their white counterparts who they deemed more "marketable" (and whose versions were often insipid comparatively) and they never got a dime or royalties, etc. from these companies! America often tells one-sided stories of history and many don't want to deal with the guilt of the atrocities inflicted amount many different people and cultures. There was tons of STEALING going on and back then blacks had a lot less rights and when it's their word against "the man's," whose do you think held up in court?

This isn't to say Elvis wasn't a great performer, etc. but many blacks were discredited and stolen from (and that also isn't to say there never was a white person who gone through the shadiness of record companies, but it pales in comparison).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or