U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:12 PM
 
781 posts, read 569,457 times
Reputation: 1452

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We can't even seem to figure out who is guilty and you want to impose an irreversible punishment? Isn't life in prison punishment? It seems to suffice for most civilized countries. Perhaps your defense of state sanctioned murder is meaningless rhetoric..
Far from meaningless: it's truth. But that being said, I do think that the criteria for who gets the death penalty should be changed. Mainly that it be reserved for the most heinous of crimes and more importantly that the burden of proof be much higher than it is at present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 5,936,178 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm opposed to the death penalty, I see no purpose in it except to satisfy some sort of bizarre blood lust that a lot of people in the US seem to have . It isn't a deterrent, anyone who says it is is just plain naive. No one ever contemplated committing a crime and stopped and said "oh I had better not do this I could get the death penalty". State sanctioned murder is still murder, particularly when we seem unable to even figure out who is actually guilty until after they die, i.e. Cameron Todd Willingham

I totally agree with eok who says that if we are going to kill people it should be bloody, brutal and horrible, maybe people should be drawn and quartered, or burned alive. And make the public attend the executions so they can get blood sprayed on them and see what death smells like, maybe then people won't be on CD offering suggestions on great ways to kill people

It is naive to think it isn't a deterrent . The reason some may think it is not is because it isn't implemented often enough to make people aware of it.
How many people are executed annually?
Death penalty statistics from the US: which state executes the most people? | News | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:17 PM
 
13,130 posts, read 5,479,722 times
Reputation: 8068
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm opposed to the death penalty, I see no purpose in it except to satisfy some sort of bizarre blood lust that a lot of people in the US seem to have. It is not a deterrent, anyone who says it is is just plain naive. No one ever contemplated committing a crime and stopped and said "oh I had better not do this I could get the death penalty". State sanctioned murder is still murder, particularly when we seem unable to even figure out who is actually guilty until after they die, i.e. Cameron Todd Willingham

I totally agree with eok who says that if we are going to kill people it should be bloody, brutal and horrible, maybe people should be drawn and quartered, or burned alive. And make the public attend the executions so they can get blood sprayed on them and see what death smells like, maybe then people won't be on CD offering suggestions on great ways to kill people
I bet that's not true. You know there are people out there who think about not doing something because they could get the death penalty for it. Of course, there are plenty of stupid criminals, or criminals who think they're so smart they will get away with it, but I'm guessing there are lots of people who didn't bring a gun to rob a store just in case, or brought one and didn't put bullets in it just in case. And a good number of rapists who left their victims alive because they didn't want the death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 PM
 
13,130 posts, read 5,479,722 times
Reputation: 8068
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
It is naive to think it isn't a deterrent . The reason some may think it is not is because it isn't implemented often enough to make people aware of it.
How many people are executed annually?
Death penalty statistics from the US: which state executes the most people? | News | The Guardian
I looked at your link and someone in the comments section said there was a study that said that every time someone is executed, it deters approximately 18 other murders. One study said since the death penalty moratorium in Illinois there were about 150 more murders during a certain time period than before the moratorium.

I imagine that the deterrent factor is higher in states that actually carry out the death sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,526 posts, read 11,569,417 times
Reputation: 19477
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I bet that's not true. You know there are people out there who think about not doing something because they could get the death penalty for it. Of course, there are plenty of stupid criminals, or criminals who think they're so smart they will get away with it, but I'm guessing there are lots of people who didn't bring a gun to rob a store just in case, or brought one and didn't put bullets in it just in case. And a good number of rapists who left their victims alive because they didn't want the death penalty.
and of course you have zero proof of that..

There’s still no evidence that executions deter criminals - The Washington Post

Death Penalty Isn't A Deterrent On Murder Rate: National Research Council

and I'm sure you can come back with studies that show it is a deterrent because there are some people who believe it is, but I don't think that people who commit murder sit around and think about the possible penalty before they kill someone. A murderer is apt to be a psychopath or at least a sociopath and people with those personality disorders generally do not even think they will get caught, due to their narcissism.

Some people kill in the heat of passion and that usually is not contemplated far in advance and it is doubtful that even if they considered the possible punishment that it would dissuade them. Most criminologists agree that the only time any punishment is a deterrent if it is consistently applied and occurs quickly after commission of the crime. And the death penalty is certainly not evenly applied, name one rich person who has been executed in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,526 posts, read 11,569,417 times
Reputation: 19477
States without the death penalty have lower homicide rates:

Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates | Death Penalty Information Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 PM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,095 posts, read 2,848,914 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As a Christian, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone" says everything that I need to know.

Christians should be familiar with the fact that Jesus interfered with, and ended an execution.
The woman who was about to be stoned had not committed adultery, not murder.

You should also be familiar with the Old Testament Scriptures where God commands the Israelites to execute those who commit murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 PM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,095 posts, read 2,848,914 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
a injection of 230grains of lead applied behind the ear at 900 feet per second injection speed will cure all criminal tendencies.
Agreed 100%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 PM
 
Location: 23.7 million to 162 million miles North of Venus
5,359 posts, read 4,838,801 times
Reputation: 4276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
name one inmate who is doing time for a capital offense who has escaped in the past 30 years. It does NOT happen. Visitors are not allowed contact with dangerous inmates and guards are not going to put themselves in harms way. When guards are injured it's usually from a 20 year old gang banger wanna be who is trying to show how tough he is.
Actually it does happen, thousands of times a year.

Since you apparently don't care to take the time to look it up yourself .. the first one that I ran across while doing a quick Google search (you only asked for 'one' example, but this particular example three inmates escaped together)....

T. J. Lane, imprisoned for fatally shooting (murdering) three students and wounding two others (one of which is paralyzed). He was housed in a high security area of the prison and not housed in the main compound. He and two others escaped in Sept. 2014. One of the other two escapees was serving time for kidnapping and aggravated murder, and, the other one was serving time for robbery, burglary and kidnapping.

It DOES happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 PM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,095 posts, read 2,848,914 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
If capital punishment is so effective, why do people continue to be murdered?

That doesn't mean to say I would advocate allowing them to go unpunished. Sending someone to prison for a very long time is a far better punishment because taking away someone's freedom is much worse for them knowing that they're going to have to spend the rest of their lives behind bars.
Once the death penalty has been carried out, the recidivism rate is ZERO.

By contrast, those who spend decades behind bars have plenty of time in which to kill other inmates/guards/civilian prison employees. And if they know they're never getting out nor being executed, they have no incentive to behave, nor do they have anything to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top