U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,120,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Plants are alive. They grow from the embroitic seed. They have a life cycle. When we harvest their seed, we are defeating the reason they live at all. But we make sure enough of them remain so there will be more. Alive doesn't mean sentient, but that his immaterial.
I don't think you know what sentient means.

Quote:
How do we know what a plant feels?
How do we know what a rock feels?

Quote:
We stay alive because we consume things which were alive. But so did the earliest creatures. Its killing creatures with no need which can't be justified.
Many people in the USA are vegetarians or vegans and perfectly healthy. Clearly there is no need to kill animals to feed us.

Quote:
And no, not all of us can be vegitarians.
Sure they can, that is a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 28 days ago)

14,440 posts, read 16,786,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Neither are elephants.

That's your opinion, hunters think elephants just live to be hunted.

Not relevant.

So it's okay to hunt elephants if you eat them according to you, right?
Elephants are still at risk. Cows, on the other hand, if you freed them to roam the plains, would all die in the cold of winter. Cows exist because we created them. If we didn't eat them, there wouldn't be any but texas longhorns.

Which hunters, the ones who take rich idiots out for trophey's or people who lack food. There is no reason for trophy hunting at all. And that plants LIVE is important because it means even vegitarians live off death.

And no, its not okay to shoot elephants with the exception of some tribal group who has no alternative. At least they won't kill that often, and likely have alternatives.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Elephants are still at risk. Cows, on the other hand, if you freed them to roam the plains, would all die in the cold of winter. Cows exist because we created them. If we didn't eat them, there wouldn't be any but texas longhorns.

Which hunters, the ones who take rich idiots out for trophey's or people who lack food. There is no reason for trophy hunting at all. And that plants LIVE is important because it means even vegitarians live off death.

And no, its not okay to shoot elephants with the exception of some tribal group who has no alternative. At least they won't kill that often, and likely have alternatives.
Where do you come up with your "logic"? Bacteria is life but nobody in their right mind would consider the lives of bacteria equal to the lives of animals. You realize that meat eaters kill more plants than vegans or vegetarians, right?

The fact of the matter is that elephants and pigs are quite similar intellectually and emotionally yet people get all worked up over someone killing an elephant and see no problem with eating bacon. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 28 days ago)

14,440 posts, read 16,786,181 times
Quote:
I don't think you know what sentient means.

How do we know what a rock feels?

Many people in the USA are vegetarians or vegans and perfectly healthy. Clearly there is no need to kill animals to feed us.

Sure they can, that is a lie.
I'm not talking about 'sentient'? Why should it matter? We don't eat rocks, we eat things that live. When we end that life we end that condition. Rocks don't feel, but plants are sensitive to their enviornment. There is something called a 'mother tree'. When small trees grow under a larger one, they should not prosper with the needs of the large tree, but its been discovered that trees grow small roots to small trees to feed them. Responding to the survival of their offspring establishes a greater awareness in a tree than a rock.

And not all people can eat vegitarian. Some of us cannot process enough from them. Nor could we feed the population we have with plants alone.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about 'sentient'? Why should it matter? We don't eat rocks, we eat things that live. When we end that life we end that condition. Rocks don't feel, but plants are sensitive to their enviornment. There is something called a 'mother tree'. When small trees grow under a larger one, they should not prosper with the needs of the large tree, but its been discovered that trees grow small roots to small trees to feed them. Responding to the survival of their offspring establishes a greater awareness in a tree than a rock.
What makes it okay to kill a pig but not an elephant? If it is because there are more pigs than elephants, then why isn't the murder of a American Indian worse than a Chinese person?

Quote:
And not all people can eat vegitarian. Some of us cannot process enough from them. Nor could we feed the population we have with plants alone.
That's simple BS do some research before you post nonsense. There is no excuse for posting clear misinformation in this day and age. We can most certainly feed the worlds population on plants alone, what do you think we feed the animals that people eat? You can get everything you need to live on a vegetarian diet. There is no debate about this.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 PM

643 posts, read 452,173 times
Good for the elephant!

Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,147,722 times
Quote:
Of course everyone could be a vegetarian, it's not like X% of Hindus just die from not eating meat, anything you need from meat you can get from eating cheese, milk, or other sources of animal protein. The other half of it? We feed crops to animals in order to get meat, and it's more calories then we get from the meat, by far. We could feed the world's population with much less land if everyone were a vegetarian because we wouldn't need to devote farmland to growing animal feed, we could just eat crops grown on that land instead.

Not that I'm a strict vegetarian myself, but I don't take the act of eating meat lightly, like it's the moral or environmental equivalent of eating something plant based. I can't pretend it's morally equivalent to reach for ribs as it is to reach for beans in the super market. When the deer need culling, I'll eat the meat, when the salmon runs come, I'll eat the fish, and if I'm a guest in someone's home, I accept in the spirit it was offered. But I know industrial livestock farming is creating antibiotic resistant bacteria, contributing to environmental decline, and overall isn't moral at this time. It's a tough thing to acknowledge, it's fine if you're not there yet, and I basically agree that eating animals can happen in a way that is morally and environmentally acceptable, but most of us in our society, that's not what we're doing.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,781,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Didn't know they still allowed elephant hunting in Africa. I hope the elephant wasn't injured badly. I hope that P.O.S. that died rots in hell.
According to the bible, God gave man dominion of animals. I doubt he is going to rot in hell, but hunting elephants shouldn’t be legal… If by chance you’re a Christian, you’re probably of the same kind as the American Christians during the 1800s…

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 04-18-2015 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 09:09 PM

5,801 posts, read 3,128,685 times
Sounds like a consequence of behavior ..... someone thought it was a good idea to attempt to kill something that weighed several tons, the target trampled that individual.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 PM

5,801 posts, read 3,128,685 times
Quote:
What makes it okay to kill a pig but not an elephant? If it is because there are more pigs than elephants, then why isn't the murder of a American Indian worse than a Chinese person?
So the departed was planning on dining upon elephant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or