U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,119,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The outcry over sport hunting by outraged, hyper-sensitized, predominately-female suburbanites might be likened to the Noble Experiment of Prohibition. Even should it "succeed", or gain substantial ground, there remains a point sufficiently detached from the clutches of industrialized civilization where the "law" becomes unenforceable.
Well that is one of the dumber things I have read in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:26 PM

32,213 posts, read 39,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Yup. However, that is irrelevant to my position. For example if someone believes that more government funding should go to repairing roadways does that mean they have to go out with a bunch of asphalt and fix the highways themselves first?

You missed the point.

It was decided decades ago that a small number of people, in this case hunters/fishermen, would support conservation of wildlife, pay for acquisition of land, improve wildlife habitat and pay for reasearch for everyone.

Public hunting/fishing areas are not closed to just people who participate but are open to anyone even during the various seasons.

Since that state of affairs is likely to continue then you, as a concerned citizen, should do more for conservation efforts other than say "raise taxes".

Old 04-19-2015, 05:31 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,119,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You missed the point.

It was decided decades ago that a small number of people, in this case hunters/fishermen, would support conservation of wildlife, pay for acquisition of land, improve wildlife habitat and pay for reasearch for everyone.

Public hunting/fishing areas are not closed to just people who participate but are open to anyone even during the various seasons.

Since that state of affairs is likely to continue then you, as a concerned citizen, should do more for conservation efforts other than say "raise taxes".
I am saying that decision made decades ago should be changed.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:44 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,022,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Because ivory is so valuable to some humans, many elephants have been killed for their tusks. This trade is illegal today, but it has not been completely eliminated, and some African elephant populations remain endangered.

National Geographic
If I own a farm, and there are three rabbits there the rabbits on my farm are endangered. That doesn't mean rabbits in general are endangered.

There are some places where there aren't many wild elephants left and some where there are. As a whole elephants aren't endangered.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,022,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The incident is why they call elephant dangerous game. They really will try to kill you because they are intelligent enough to realize you are trying to kill them.

I have often wondered why these thrill seeking persons, both men and women, hunt dangerous game. Why don't they just join an army and hunt really, really dangerous game. Trained and armed humans make elephants seem like friendly pets.
There's a lot more to being in the army than fighting people. There are probably plenty of folks who would be down for fighting but won't join an army due to lack of freedom, low pay, little career control, unusual living conditions, long term commitment, and a host of other valid reasons, but if it boiled down to just go fight people for a few months and you're done you'd likely be having to turn more people away than the military is now.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:24 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,436,059 times
Game Hunter Ian Gibson Trampled To Death By Elephant

Poetic Justice

Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 PM

32,213 posts, read 39,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I am saying that decision made decades ago should be changed.
You didn't look at any of the links I posted, especially the 3rd one, did you? That one will give a true picture of how much you're talking about.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:46 PM

49,186 posts, read 39,637,057 times
Sad to say it but big game hunting is a critically needed source of eco-tourism dollars, at least for now.

The real threat to animals here and in Africa is habitat destruction and especially in 3rd world countries where poverty and corruption are endemic whom do you think pays for the rangers that stop the poachers, the wood-cutters etc etc etc?

Would I prefer another way? Sure. But I'm a realist and for now a proven tactic is partnering with the hunters in order to save the big picture.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 8,289,890 times
Just an update on dinner; it was one of the best rib roasts I have ever cooked in my life! Nice medium rare and cooked just enough to make the meat a perfect melt in your mouth meal. The best thing is it was free! I let the guy across the road harvest my hay every year and he gives me half a cow. There was enough left over to give my four dogs (that I love dearly) a taste and my old guy "Buddy" really loved it. He is a 22 year old beagle mix and I like treating him.

The great thing is when they poop it out it will fertilize the field that the cow we ate fed off of. When I poop it out it will return to the soil as well to continue the cycle.

In my opinion Vegans can stuff their tofu; nothing beats a great cut of meat.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM

1,112 posts, read 810,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Game Hunter Ian Gibson Trampled To Death By Elephant

Best wishes and a speedy recovery for the elephant.
Karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or