Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:21 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times

Advertisements

Obvious ironies are: (i) this lady has gotten booted out of Air Force for wearing her uniform in one of these Playboy spreads, and (ii) she wants to protect the flag, which represents freedom to her, but she doesn't wish to respect the protesters' right to free speech, which the Supreme Court has affirmed in flag burning cases.

Don't get me wrong, I am perturbed by these college "protesters" especially because they apparently cannot (or do not wish to) articulate what they were protesting against. Trampling on the flag is highly offensive to many people in this country, and such act should only be done to protest something truly meaningful and important, IMHO. But this lady had no idea what the underlying motivations were, as far as I can tell.

Mick

Air Force veteran and former Playboy model arrested for taking American flag from campus protesters who were trampling on it | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
As much as I hate the disrespect shown to the flag, this was a good arrest IMO and one that I'd encourage every police officer to make. Freedom means the freedom to disrespect the flag, and, in cases where one owns the flag in question, the freedom to physically destroy it. Freedom does not mean forcibly taking another's property, which is what occurred here.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
College "protesters" walking on the flag of the country who not only provides a college education for them, but is probably paying their way. Good for her.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251;39280090[B
]College "protesters" walking on the flag of the country who not only provides a college education for them, but is probably paying their way[/b]. Good for her.
And the fact they can do that is what makes our country great, and unique from all others.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
Amen, some people think we are fighting for a flag instead for our freedom.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:11 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Exactly, you can't have it both ways.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Where do these college students get such hatred towards our country? Are they being taught such hatred by public school teachers and college professors who also hate the country and only share the worst parts of our country's history and putting our country only in a negative light? Did they learn such hatred from their parents? There is no one "perfect" country. Every country has good and bad things. Celebrate what is good about your country. Protest what is wrong with the country, not the country itself. These college students are hypocrites. They protest USA as they are students at an American university with their education subsidized by our country's taxpayers to provide them the opportunity to get a college education. You reject the country, reject all government's assistance.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:20 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Where do these college students get such hatred towards our country? Are they being taught such hatred by public school teachers and college professors who also hate the country and only share the worst parts of our country's history and putting our country only in a negative light? Did they learn such hatred from their parents? There is no one "perfect" country. Every country has good and bad things. Celebrate what is good about your country. Protest what is wrong with the country, not the country itself. These college students are hypocrites. They protest USA as they are students at an American university with their education subsidized by our country's taxpayers to provide them the opportunity to get a college education. You reject the country, reject all government's assistance.
I think it's more of students being taught about the greatest aspects of living in America, freedom. First and foremost, the freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of association. The students think, "really? Wow, I could say or do anything to express my views?" What do young people do when they are told they are entitled to do something they were previously told not to do (akin to smoking pot, let's say)? They try it. More than once even. An expression of rebellion, independence and maturation. Kids of every generation have been doing it, especially in the 60's and 70's.

Mick

Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Burning and desecrating flags is protected speech, as it should be.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I think it's you that's a hypocrite..."I love my country, I just hate everything it's founded on and stands for"?
Yes, in order to celebrate our love for America, we should throw out everything it's based on and replace the Constitution with restrictive laws that force you to give up all alliance with the government if you speak out against it.You know, that war we fought with the British, that gave us the right to protest without penalty....who needs it, right? That was so long ago, thse antiquated ideas of free speech are not even relevant anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events