Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,764,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
When you die and if there is a heaven you can complain to your ancestors for importing African slaves.
I don't know that any of my ancestors imported African slaves. You do realize that at the time of the American Revolution slavery had been an institution in what later became the American Union for over 150 years, right? That means that no one alive in 1776 was responsible for the initial importation of slaves, let alone people around for the Missouri Compromise or Nebraska-Kansas Act, or taking Cuba off of the state sponsored terrorism list. That said, I believe that the importation of African slaves was the biggest mistake that white people on this continent ever made. If brought us in contact with an inferior culture and we are still living with the aftermath. Anyways, if any black person living here today is unhappy, they are free to move to Liberia or Haiti. Maybe they will find those countries preferable, but somehow I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,413,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
And that's my point. Because America has such a twisted, jacked up history towards blacks, it's little wonder that Americans are purely ignorant and stand alone in their attitude towards black (and their inability to see injustice).

In other countries, they've got it right regarding their treatment of "blacks" (whatever that means).
The ignorance is in those countries, not America.

They benefited from slavery and oppression of non-whites through colonialism, beginning with Spain in the 1500s -- long before America existed. The Bourbon dynasty in particular became rich off oppression of people in the Third World, and so did Britain.

At the same time, they remained overwhelmingly white at home. Things only began to change after WW II when Britain lost its colonies but kept them a part of the Commonwealth.

Now England is becoming multicultural. So are France and the Netherlands. Racial, ethnic and religious tensions are rising, and so are right-wing groups. Scandinavia has given asylum to Muslims, which has created a lot of tensions. Italy is in crisis now because of boat loads of African refugees arriving on its shores.

I am tired of Europeans looking down on America when it comes to racial issues.

They looked the other way when Jews were murdered during WW II.

And look at the ethnic cleansing in Balkans which the Europeans ignored until America came in to clean up the mess. Yeah, really enlightened and tolerant they are! And I would also note, ungrateful for America's help (the Marshall Plan) and military protection.

They are hypocrites, and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Last edited by dechatelet; 04-20-2015 at 10:59 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Dude, when you consider the history of this country, White Americans are hella lucky Black people haven't outright revolted and slaughtered millions of you lot en masse.

White Americans started a war against the UK over taxation without representation. Imagine what Black Americans should have done to you lot for slavery and Jim Crow.

And here we have the ignorance. "Us lot" didnt enslave "you lot." That was 120 years ago. You were never a slave. I was never a master. Yet people still walk around acting like todays white teenager is "the man" thats keeping the black teenager in chains. Keep the grudges alive and our kids and theirs will keep inheriting this mess....

Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,978,943 times
Recently, a group of Black and Hispanic men who call themselves "Hebrew Israelites" but are better referred to as the Blackboro Baptist Church, took to the streets of ultra-"tolerant" San Francisco to spread their strikingly hateful message to anyone who doesn't look like them.
Ha ha, racial blowhards. Guys like this have been around since the 60s talking sh-t on the street. I love that they're targeting uber-white, Jewish, Liberal, gay San Francisco, one of the most racist cities in the nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLb3o65q0vk

Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM

16,366 posts, read 8,461,601 times
Quote:
I have English black relatives. When they come to America, they're baffled that "blacks" are seen differently and that it's even noticed. They're even astonished by the use of the word "blacks" or African Americans being used as it is. Charlize Theron is an African American, but people dare not group her in with that, or think of her like that, for obvious reasons. They say in England everyone is one race - human.

I have Indian relatives. They laugh about racism here and tell me to stop wondering - but they don't get it. We know India has its caste system, but it's really different. I have Chinese and Pakistanian relatives. Again, laughter all around. They have more biases, but in the end they do NOT understand American ignorance. They think it's childish and ill-formed.

FOUR examples. I know racism in other countries is severely diminished (not gone), and it's not heavily directed towards one group.
I may not be the best judge of international racism, but it seems to me there are some glaring examples of it. For example, soccer is very popular in most parts of the world so for lack of a better way to put it, a countries citizens behavior at these events demonstrates collective pride in their nation and their team. Yet you see all sorts of racial mockery at those events you never see here in America.
As it relates to your analogy, how does that square peg fit into your round hole?

`

Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 PM

16,366 posts, read 8,461,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

And here we have the ignorance. "Us lot" didnt enslave "you lot." That was 120 years ago. You were never a slave. I was never a master. Yet people still walk around acting like todays white teenager is "the man" thats keeping the black teenager in chains. Keep the grudges alive and our kids and theirs will keep inheriting this mess....
Correct

Even more striking is this collective guilt shared by some liberal whites, that all todays whites owe something to blacks for slavery. Guess what, when you ask them if their ancestors owned slaves, many are not knowledgeable, but make an assumption as to their guilt.
What other facet of American life would a person be willing to assume something negative about their ancestors, and say they should be held responsible for it?
Even more to the point, made to pay for it
Heck if you were to say to the average person your deceased parents cheated the cable company out of $10k over several decades, so you should pay for their crime. Even if they knew it to be true or it was proved to them, they would laugh at the notion of them being responsible for the crimes of just their previous generation.

Yet guilty white liberals are all too happy to assume guilt not only upon themselves for their own ancestors, but those of all other white people. They would also be happy to force us to pay for sins that many white people are not even associated with.
Remember many whites came to this country after slavery(true of blacks as well). Others never owned a slave, didn't even live where slavery occurred, nor approved of it. Additionally what about the modern day ancestors of those who died freeing the slaves
Isn't their sacrifice of their lives enough payment for something they are not even responsible for? Maybe they should also receive retroactive reparations for the loss of life of their past ancestors?
Who pays for that?
Who decides which whites should pay, and which blacks are going to collect?
Where does it stop?
American Indians certainly have an even bigger claim then, since many were completely wiped out with few ancestors even around today in modern America.

While not a PC notion, one could argue that despite the evil of mans slavery against his brother, are not the ancestors of African slaves better off than if the slaves were never brought to this country to begin with
If there was a way to look back in time and see where modern blacks would be today if their ancestors were never brought to America, would they want to trade places?
Or would they say, "sorry Kunta kinte, you have to go through it all again because there is no way my family is going to live in a hut in Africa. Then we must fight off warring tribes, hell bent on killing every man, woman, and child in our village. Sure it was horrible, and I appreciate your sacrifice now more than ever, but I am glad it happened, otherwise we would not be blessed to be American citizens today".

Think about it.

`

Old 04-21-2015, 12:24 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,458,351 times
I'm surprised these guys are still around. I used to see them in the 1990s in both NYC and SF.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,925,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Correct

Even more striking is this collective guilt shared by some liberal whites, that all todays whites owe something to blacks for slavery. Guess what, when you ask them if their ancestors owned slaves, many are not knowledgeable, but make an assumption as to their guilt.

While not a PC notion, one could argue that despite the evil of mans slavery against his brother, are not the ancestors of African slaves better off than if the slaves were never brought to this country to begin with
If there was a way to look back in time and see where modern blacks would be today if their ancestors were never brought to America, would they want to trade places?
Or would they say, "sorry Kunta kinte, you have to go through it all again because there is no way my family is going to live in a hut in Africa. Then we must fight off warring tribes, hell bent on killing every man, woman, and child in our village. Sure it was horrible, and I appreciate your sacrifice now more than ever, but I am glad it happened, otherwise we would not be blessed to be American citizens today".

Think about it.

`
The above <bold> is about the most concise thing I've read in a while.
Rep +5 to you!

Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,625,896 times
Quote:
No one was lynched, enslaved, or just generally disliked (to the point of death threats and actual murder) for simply being "lighter skinned". A whole culture and way of life was not based around keeping these same "lighter skinned" folks down and in a slave-like mentality using religion, laws and whole policies, for years. Ever since they were brought to a new country and torn from their families and their culture removed, which passed down from line to line. That's the difference.

And it's like they want to ignore that, up until the 50's, blacks and whites couldn't even use the same bathroom or be in the same spaces together! It wasn't THAT long ago, people. You think those emotions/feelings/sentiments just disappeared? By thinking they did, you are only adding to the problem. And all you want people to do is understand, but they don't. In other countries they've got it right. In America? Fuggetaboutit.

Please tell us how you suggest people get over these feelings.... I hear people use this excuse to no end to try and justify ill behavior but never once explaining how we can solve the "problem". It's obvious by actions that it isn't going to go away on its own. So again I ask... how do you suggest we get this to go away? It sounds like an excuse to allow people to act in appalling fashion, and the rest of us being told just to deal with it. They're just acting out because their families were oppressed 50-60 years ago, long before they were born.

So what are we all to do as a society? Is it money? Is it power? Do you suggest that whites become enslaved as "payback" for something that our generation did not do?

This is a serious question so put some thought into it. How do we move forward if everyone wants to hold on to what happened in generations before their time? Inevitably we are doomed to continue this cycle until common sense regains control (which is likely to never happen).

Old 04-21-2015, 03:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,814,411 times
I was on the street today. I'm still here. I'll give them another chance tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events