U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,522,402 times

Advertisements

Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 7 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,691,770 times
I wonder if anyone has a good explanation why people alive today owe other people alive today when their gggrandfather might have been a slave owner before the civil war. Can't make him pay and I don't believe we 'inherit' guilt. (and if from the day you were born it was normal and acceptable to hold slaves, how do you figure out you shouldn't?)

If we can get over that and quit blaming others and their ancestors, and look ahead, maybe we could get past that 'guilt trip' and just see other human beings.

If someone does see a person, not a black person or a white one or a purple one, and that person has an agenda, the it isn't the problem of the one who choses just to see a human being. And for many, I'll say most, that this person is interested in the same stuff and has other things which relates matters more. And most people will make some space between themselves and someone who's being pushy and in your face whatever they look like, since behaving badly is just that.

I say drop all labels and just look at other human beings. If they act in a way you'd rather have them leave then its only their problem.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 PM

12,993 posts, read 5,401,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I've lost all respect I had for Mr. Affleck.

Almost everyone who has ancestors dating back to revolutionary times or before here in America is descended from slave owners.

Even Obama has slave owning descendants. Even Jesse Jackson has slave owners in his family tree.

Hardly a shock.
That's not true! Where on earth did you get that? Most people were not rich enough to own slaves, ergo most people are not descendants of slave owners. Ironically, many black people descended from slaves are also descended from slave owners.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 PM

12,993 posts, read 5,401,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The only reason I could see it being a problem for him if he's one of the morons calling for our government (us taxpayers) to pay reparations. It would suddenly become, "Well Ben, since your family directly benefited from slavery, shouldn't you write a sizable check?"

When are Al and Jesse going to show up as producers on his films? They are the race shakedown masters after all.
That's what I was thinking too. Otherwise, why not let the producers show the juxtaposition of his slave-owning ancestor next to his mother who was a Freedom Rider? It seems like an interesting show to me, and one that's very favorable to the living generations of Afflecks.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:28 AM

38,168 posts, read 15,318,674 times
Ben Affleck should have just maned-up and treated it as an historical personal fact. Nothing to hide from and nothing to apologize for.

Hollywood loves to dish out the political correctness, but are mighty thinned skinned when the chickens comes home to roost.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:03 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I hereby ask movie studios and theaters to not reveal Ben Affleck in any future movies.
Likewise, you should be punished for any crime or abuse commited by any relative of yours ever, even if it wasnt a crime at the time in question, right?

Obviously, Mr Affleck is descended from some wealthy folks, and haters gonna hate.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 AM

23,917 posts, read 17,588,567 times
Quote:
A spokesman for Mr Gates claimed that a slave-owning ancestor was not interesting enough for the show.

‘Ultimately, I maintain editorial control on all of my projects and, with my producers, decide what will make for the most compelling program,’ he said through a spokesman.
oh yeah, that wouldn't be of interest to... anyone.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,139,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Almost everyone who has ancestors dating back to revolutionary times or before here in America is descended from slave owners.
It was a very small number of rich land owners that owned slaves. The majority of southerners did not.

This is a misconception that many people have which explains why so many people don't understand many issues in regards to US slavery.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 AM

8,520 posts, read 4,742,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It just goes to show how worried guilt ridden liberals will project the sins of their ancestors on all of us, based solely on race. To do so is racist in and of itself, but of course they are not programmed to think like that.
Personally none of my ancestors were guilty of slavery. However even if they had been, unless our society is going back to the days of a fathers sins are passed down to his son, who would give a darn?
Answer
I guess a guilty white liberal like Affleck.
It's not white guilt to feel a certain way about disgusting and immoral behavior committed by past family members. White conservatives always talk about white guilt this and white guilt that. It's no wonder why so many people are not voting hand in hand with this type...

Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 AM

8,520 posts, read 4,742,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Likewise, you should be punished for any crime or abuse commited by any relative of yours ever, even if it wasnt a crime at the time in question, right?

Obviously, Mr Affleck is descended from some wealthy folks, and haters gonna hate.
Seriously ConeyGirl52? Conservatives love to distract from responsibility by twisting the conversation into what you just did. No one is asking that a descendant of slave owners be punished! Regardless of the law of the time, owning slaves was disgusting, immoral, and wrong and it was a path that an evil populace took for the purpose of exploitation.

No one is asking anyone to be punished, but you're damn right that we expect everyone to recognize the evil "your" ancestors did, and the lingering effects...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events